Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Buick Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Special55, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Special55

Special55
    from Dixon,ca

Ok just trying to get the thread started for my build of my 55 Buick Special. Just picked her up a couple weeks ago. Should be interesting, my first 50's car, and my first nailhead project. Please feel free to let me know if I am being too ambitious. I am a learner and am more than happy to hear from those with alot more knowledge. It has an incomplete 264 V8, I am trying to aquire a 322 from a 56 Roadmaster. The 322 is in parts but is complete and has not been messed with except for the heads being disassembled and cleaned. I know nailheads can be a little different when building them. Is there anything in particular I should know besides the usual looking for cracks in the block and heads? Anyways I hope this sparks some discussion, but for now I will get those pictures up to start the build thread. The body is pretty straight, minor dings, interior is complete and in really good shape, only notable rust is in the trunk in the spare tire well (completely rusted out).

2. sbin

sbin

Check out webrodder.com and search Nailhead.
    Good technical information on the motor.
    I recently bought a 56 with a 322 but purchased a 425 and th400 from a Riviera.
    The motor is more expensive to build than a sbc.If I was going to spend a few grand rebuilding a n engine I want real power and a modern transmission

Good luck with your project post some pictures

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't let any engine builder tell you to install hardened valve seats. Nailheaads have a very high content of Nicle in the blocks and don't need them. Also, the water jacket is easily broaches if trying to install hardened seat and doing so could ruin the heads.

4. Special55

Special55
    from Dixon,ca

Ok I think I figured out how to attach the photos. Im not a computer guy, thats probably why I like old cars. I will post some of the interior and the rust work area tomorrow hopefully.

Attached Files:

5. Special55

Special55
    from Dixon,ca

Thank you for the replys right away. Also curious to see what the opinions are of going with the 322 and keeping the dynaflow and torque tube vs doing a rear end swap to an open drive line and a more modern trans and motor. I'm leaning toward traditional fifties style, and running the 322 with a 3x2 intake and maybe getting ahold of a header flange and fabbing some headers up. I know the compression in the 56 322 is already pretty high. Also interested in maybe doing a few other upgrades to the motor while it is in pieces if anyone has suggestions. Also let me know if you think I am wasting my time with this 322. Haven't picked it up yet. It it's deffinately on the works unless I pull the plug on the deal. Also Im planning to build a mild custom/rod. Probably not gonna take it to the strip much, but would like it to be a me to lay a little rubber and sound good doing it.

6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I got my first 55 buick in 65, my Dad bought it new and it was with out a doubt the best car on wheels. I will be the first to tell you in stock form and if you drive it like my Dad drove it they can't be beat. I did not drive it like Dad did however and those big old heavy dynaflos are NO fun to put in and out, torqe tube rear ends suck too. If you want bokoo power a late model nailhead and 400 is the way to go, along with a open drive rear. If you want a good dependable driver a 350 Buick and 350 turbo is the way to go. Any engine/trans/rear end swap is going to be alot of work and fabricating so don't make the mistake many others have made and jump in over your head and end up scraping the whole project. I in no way want to discourage you, just want to save you some of the problems I have brought on myself over the last 40+ years. Hope to see more of your Buick in the future!

7. Dman

Dman

I have a 55 Special with a 264. I also had a 56 Special with a 322. The 322 is a noticeable improvement in power. The cars are not very fast taking off and don't get out of their own way quickly but they are a very nice driving/riding car. That being said I have a 425 that I will be putting in my car some day.

8. nailhead55

nailhead55

mine doing it over good,if it runs make it safe and drive it!

Attached Files:

9. Jon1953B4

Jon1953B4
    from MD

Looks like a nice solid start, cool car, good luck

10. robertsregal

robertsregal

Looks like a nice solid and complete project, enjoy the journey and keep her all Buick as I agree the nailheads rock!!!

11. Special55

Special55
    from Dixon,ca

So since its been pouring rain so progress is at a stand still. When the weather clears I will finish cleaning her up. I am still considering my engine trans combos. I have that line on the 56 322, but am contemplating the open driveline conversion with either a 401 or 425. Anyone know what a good price for one of those would be? I want to stay Buick, but I may consider a 455 too. Any thoughts?

Also wondering of anyone knows of a good machine shop that knows nailheads in the Sacramento, ca area?

12. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

also keep in mind the "gas pedal" starter when fooling around with engine swaps.....my 55 has one and I really like that.....i guesee it's carb specific .... i f oy u go w/ a later engine you may need to hunt down appropiate parts to continue using it.....

also look here for good info

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

You picked a great year and car for your project...love those 55-56-57 Buick's.
    Here is a picture of my Nephews '55 Buick Special...
    Cheers, and keep us posted with progress and pics...

[​IMG]

14. Special55

Special55
    from Dixon,ca

Ok, so just a quick update, need to get so
    E photos up of the interior and under body and engine bay, but I have sourced a powerplant for the 55. I have decided to dive in fullbore with the open drive conversion. I am still working on sourcing the rear axle, and would like to stay 5x5 bolt pattern. But I picked up a good running 430 Buick pulled from a 68 riv with a bop th400 to back it. I'm gonna try to get the mortor on a stand this week and rig up the radiator so I can check for any problems before I start the long tedious process of fabbing up the motor mounts and moving crosses members. I am gonna try to tear into it a bit before I throw it in the car and do all that work to find out it has a blocked oil passage or something. But progress is being made. Now to decide on how to locate the rearend when I get it. Im thinking ladder bars with a the panhard, or possible leaf springs. Any opinions or other ideas would be great. I know it's not a nailhead but it's at least still Buick. And some day I would like to buy a 425 to build and put in there but for now the price was right, and I wanna get this baby on the road. I've read a bit about Open drive conversion and having to modify the x frame and the front cross member, but if anyone has any knowledge before I start dangling the motor and trans and eyeball engineering I would greatly appreciate it. Hoping to get some more photos of the progress up soon. Still cleaning out the rodent crap and what. Ot from the interior, gotta love field finds.

15. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

16. Sounds like he wants to stay with a Nailhead...............

17. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Nice start. I love my 56. Still has the stock drive train. It's meant for cruising so a open drive line swap was too much work for a car that's not a hot rod. Plus I like having a nailhead in the car. The dyna flow is smooth as silk on the high way.
    Keep the updates coming.

18. Special55

Special55
    from Dixon,ca

Thanks for the heads up on the book, 71buickfreak. I will have to check it out. And Deadendcruiser, I dig the colors on your 56. Looks quite familiar, but much cleaner than my 55, yours wears it well. Anyone with any insight on dropping the bigblock and the th400 in? And anyone with insight on the open drive conversion? I've read most of the posts already on here but am always open to fresh opinions on problems that have been run into with these things.

19. Special55

Special55
    from Dixon,ca

Ok so I am overdue for some added pictures. These give you an idea on the interior condition of the car. I will be taking the seats out soon so that I can do a thorough cleaning and use some chasis coat on the floor boards. Tore the carpets out and there is almost no rust at all in the floor boards of the car. The truck is rusted pretty good, whith the spare tire well completely rusted through. but I started with a wire brush to it today with some good results. So far it looks worse that it really is. So wire brush it, new sheet metal for the trunk where it rusted through and more chasis coat. Picked up my rear axle out of an 89 caprice cop car at the junk yard yesterday. So the only thing left to source before the rear axle swap is the trailing arms from the 60-72 chevy 1/2ton. That seemed like the most straight forward and cost effective way t make the swap, and I couldnt bring myself to go to leaf springs, not in a buick. I am gonna get my 430 on the engine stand tonight and start getting it set up so I can check for any issues before I swap it in to the car. Progress is being made, the collection of parts is almost complete, the fun work is about to begin.

Attached Files:

20. Special55

Special55
    from Dixon,ca

heres some more of the rust in the trunk.

Attached Files:

21. Special55

Special55
    from Dixon,ca

and the motor as i started to tear into it. the stock 264 is very frozen. I will be working on that after I drop the 430 in and get my vehicle driving. She pretty when shes all cleaned up. Havent even tried to really buff the paint out yet. She aint perfect, but she's mine.

Attached Files: