Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Rat rod is one thing but!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bdotson, Jan 29, 2012.

1. outlaw256

outlaw256

i love the car but with the first rat carcus i would have had a for sale sign in it. i love old cars bit i have a unimagineable fear of rats and mice. and i had to feed them to my snakes and baby gator. but i never ever touched one. now i no longer have my snakes or mt gator.fear of the rats over came me.lol did i mention i love the car.

2. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

And I thought all the rats were in NYC. Welcome to the dreaded RR club.

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Cool car. Hope you stay traditional with at least everything you can see.

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Great score!!!
    I even like the Mooneyes windshield.

5. psychopathic51

psychopathic51

I think the heater is broke.....defroster doesn't seem to be working....LOL!
    Sweet looking car and man that thing sure looks solid!!

6. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

Good call. I was thinking there was an SPCA joke in here somewhere.

Great find, and great pics of your Dad working with you. Makes me miss my Grand-dad looking at them.

7. chopo

chopo

dude i really really dig the photos of your dad working on the car. My dad now 77 still kicks ass with me just about every weekend messing with my ol rusty shit. The stories are the best. Oh ya the let me show you how is just as good.

8. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

got back on it far a while this afternoon the little brown truck should be here tomorrow with a load of toys to start puttin it back together :) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Holy Crap Man! You and your father work fast. This is one project I'll be watching closely since I love the Chevys of the 40's.

10. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Thanks He's not bad for an old guy of 81!!!!!! He can flat out get the work done makes me look bad. I hope I can be half the man he is at 81:D We plan on having this car back together in a month or less? we will see

11. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Got back on it thi s afternoon for a couple of hours. Went with the mustang tomorrow after work I hope to get the front suspention finished and move on to the rear this weekend [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What do those bars mean? I think I am about to witness something I won't like. This car is too complete and solid to butcher. It waited all the years for what?:(

Crap now I see. I hope the rats seek revenge on you. When does the 350/350 and the truck load of billet arrive? That car deserved better!:mad:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  13. GET A LIFE!!!! Are you off your meds?
    Great project.
    Subscribe.

14. 76cam

76cam

Sweet!!!! A month is pretty fast so good luck.

15. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Those bars mean that a feller had enough good sense to anchor the distance between the frame rails before he knocked out the factory cross members. I don't like some of the rides I see here on the HAMB either and as far as which ones I'm talking about, well that ain't none of your business.
    Make negitive comments about rides that just don't belong here, make positive comments on what YOU like, be helpful when you can, and when you just want to be an asshole go some where else.

Six Ball you have a good day!

16. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

Aww come on now it aint that bad. As I said earler I plan to make this my everyday driver. With all the parking lots built for toyotas at 90 degree angles I want power steering for my daily driver. I also have had to many people pull out in front of me not to want good brakes. This car was designed to run around 40 mph while all the folks around you drove 40 and stopped slow like you. Things have changed a lot now I plan to drive this car 65 70 in and out of heavy traffic and be safe doing so. Now I also plan to run the inline six with split exaust and twin carbs. I will also maintain as much of the patina now on the car as I can. We dont all agree on building a car this is just my thing. I dont have any billet on order now but I will if I want to. Thanks for you view man :D P S the rats dont scare me

17. Wow cool ride, you don't waste any time !

18. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Fantastik! Your dead on! I have two 36 chevy 5 windows, ones so original I plan to do similar with a 235 and T5 open rear. I put an 8.8 ford explorer rear in one of mine. Buy two and use both short axles and it fits right under. 31 spline, 4.10 gears and disc brakes. Cheap. Be real glad you didnt buy a 36 and earlier chevy. Its great fun replacing all the wood with square tubing. Great car!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. cool coupe project and the 36's are great until the wood rots! had one and it sucked huge!

20. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Good luck with the build....Nice car!

21. KIRK

KIRK

Finally, a HAMB friendly rat rod.

22. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

got a few minutes on it this afternoon tore the old front end down hung the a arms on the cross member new ball joints and bushings on the way. Got to work this weekend so slow going also got to work late next week :( [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

so far so good, love these kind of threads, keep postin your progress,,

24. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Patina is such an overused and abused term that is has become pathetic.
    BUT, that is what I call real Patina!!!
    Love that look, and if it was mine the body would pretty much stay as is.
    Nice find, and good for you..
    Cheers.......

25. Sorry, I thought this was a "Hot Rod" site, I must have wandered in by mistake.

Love 38 Chevy Coupes, and they should have a Chevy engine, JMO.:D

26. juanz1947

juanz1947

Nice 38 coupe love the way they look

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Ok man, I apologize I jumped the gun and was way out of line. I just fell in love with your coupe and was amazed that it had come this far with only a change of wheels and a crap pile of rodents. Nasty shit. Please heed those health warnings. That is not the revenge I spoke of, just poop. You know what most often comes with a front end mod like this. Sorry I misjudged you. I do understand your concern for safety and I respect the fact that it is your car and your safety. So that being said and being a SIX kind of guy what are you planning for the engine? 65-70 probably won't be comfortable with the 216 and stock running gear. Lots of Chevy inline choices as well as trannys and rear ends. Again sorry for doubting your call. Six Ball :eek:

28. Mark Karger

Mark Karger
    from houston TX

I agree with Six Ball on the 216. The babbet bearings do not like Freeway speeds, but you may as well run the engine you have until the rods start knocking, then put in a GMC inline 6(heavy as a dead horse) or a 235-261, or a 250-292(which are lighter than the 235-261 & make more power).

29. Desert_Rat

Desert_Rat

Awesome car!! Thanks for sharing.. :)

~Dustin

30. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

I plan to run a warm 235. however when this 216 cranked and ran well (It said put me in coach) I thought well why not run it while I hunt up some speed parts and build the 235. I have a t5 and a granada rear on the way. See cant we all get along.