Register now to get rid of these ads!

Will a bad speedo cable kill the speedo?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hell_fish_65, Feb 3, 2012.

1. The gauge cluster in my 56 F100 keeps crapping out. I have had the orginal and one other that worked for a time and have now stopped. The 2nd one I could spin by hand and see the needle raise, but now does nothing. Before I buy another one, I wanted to know if the cable could be at fault so I don't smoke a 3rd. The cable is connected to a C6, just in case it matters.

2. BTB-Derby

BTB-Derby

If it was bouncing before it broke it's probably in the cable.

3. Turbo442

Turbo442

Did you make sure the cable was lubed? If they dry out they can cause the needle to bounce. I think it's unlikely that you broke the speedo head.

4. john walker

john walker

stick a pocket screwdriver in the speedo and see if it turns easy. binding speedos kill cables.

5. No, i have not checked the cable for lube. I will next time I have access to the truck.

6. Is this like one of those time shares?

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I had the cable bind back when I was a kid. It twisted the cable off AND siezed up the speedo. I learned, got another cable and speedo AND lubed 'em once in a while. Sometime, I'll find the old speedo and see if it can be resuscitated or torn down and rebuit. Not a big deal right now.

I think newer cars went to electronic speedometers. But what fun is that?

8. Its at a friends shop for some body and paint work. For the time being I see it on Sundays and work on it. Trying to get it ready for the Roundup

9. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I have visitation rights on me engines at my machinist shop, he's good but really slow