Register now to get rid of these ads!

Voltage surging

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeyerAutoSalvage, Feb 2, 2012.

1. BeyerAutoSalvage

BeyerAutoSalvage
    from Trenton FL

Hello, we recently put together a little A pickup with a 302 ford- The problem we are having is the voltage output is almost 16V anywhere above idle, and the gauge jumps alot. The charging system consists of all new componentry for a 65 Ford car or truck, i.e motorcraft Alternator, voltage regulator, etc... I have checked all the wiring, and we have replaced the voltage regulator with another new one- still the same issue. When you turn the headlights on, the needle sits dead on 12.5V and the headlights do not seem to fluctuate brightness at all. Is it possible there is just not enough load on the elec system? Would a Chrysler inline voltage reg fix the issue? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Dan Beyer

2. Not sure if this would cause your problems but ... did you remember to run a ground from the engine block to the body and frame. Can never have too many grounds. I missed putting a ground on a P-up truck once ... lots of strange things happen. Find out how to test the voltage regulator ... it isn't unheard of in this day and age to buy two (or more) new items that are faulty right out of the box.

3. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

Hi did you check to see if the gauge is correct?...try a volt meter and see if the volts read the same as the gauge...I have a temp. gauge that is 10 degrees off,..it reads 210 when it is 200...Miller

4. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

If you've checked the ground and the gauge is good, I'd say it's the voltage regulator...

5. BeyerAutoSalvage

BeyerAutoSalvage
    from Trenton FL

Thanks guys, so far checked all of the above, I almost think it is 2 bad voltage regs. but I will have to check tomorrow. Any other ideas are surely welcomed!

6. Voodoo Trucker

Voodoo Trucker

Sounds silly, but like before ground is the return for all power, so make sure it's a good one on the alternator case as well as making sure the output lead from the alternator is going directly to the battery. The sensing circuit is looking for 12v from the battery and if it see's something lower, it will raise the voltage in an attempt to correct it. Bunch of mumbo but hope it sheds some light.

7. ^^^^^ X2

Look at all the grounds. There should be one from the regulator case itself that sometimes gets missed. Been there, done that!

Bob

8. Use a volt meter at the battery. Compair with your gauge.

9. Sounds to me like a brush hanging up. Before I got into that I'd take my V.O.M. and go direct to the Bat. terminal on the Alt. and see if my meeter reading did the same thing as the gauge.

10. garyf

garyf

1--I don,t know what the difference is, but the newer style ford voltage regulators were called a (clamping diode regulator). When you buy them are you asking for one for an older model ford?
    2-- Poor grounds sound suspect for the problems you indicate!

11. As others have said, I would be suspicious of the alternator if it isn't the voltmeter itself.

12. Just as many have suggested, check all of your electrical connections, both positive and negative ground side. If they are all clean and good contact, then you may just have a bad voltage regulator in the alternator.