Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Don't want to go O/T on this great thread. Short of it involves a '53 Stude, 150 at El Mirage in '62 and a 40mph cross wind. See the "Worst day of my life" album on my profile page for the results. :eek:

2. Gasser Madness

Gasser Madness

Hey Dean, I suppose that this is a stupid question, but wondering if this is yours. I see a lot of similarities, but some notable differences too. Given how often cars changed...

Attached Files:

3. That would be the '67 HRM race at Riverside. Yes, that's my RPU! Big change was the scooped hood. Scrapped that after 3 passes. It actually screwed up the aero on the car (if a Model A can have aero?) and slowed the car on the top end. The other change is the 5" X 15" chromed rear wheels. When the trend to go to narrow rims, screw the tires to them, and run insane low air pressure, I refused to drill a pair of Halibrands for sheet metal screws, hence the chromies. That change stayed until the end of the car's racing carear. Those wheels and 4 1/2 lbs. in the M&H's equaled a good tenth and a half off the ET, but it did make the shut off on the top end hairy! Started using the laundry pretty regular then.

4. ha-milton

ha-milton
    from van nuys

That was the point of the body altercation. I dont know if you can see in the photos how wild it was. The tell is the bodyline running uphill, but the turtledeck is parallel to the ground. All if not most have the turtledeck running uphill from that era. They used to do this for guys all the time. Hugh Tuckers body is totally illegal as well. Don't tell anyone.

The motor was Surfer spec, on 90%. Prototype Bob & Mort Box 1 of only 2, SPE (speed products engineering) chassis, Pat Foster was the driver. The Weed Cutters were used as well because of the body mods. They were eventually going to go with zoomies, and notch the body. Roy had issues with the motor alignment so it would jump out of gear under power. Went back to the shop for repair. Motor was stolen. Car was sold or something to that nature. It was built to rule the class, but the class was phased out.

5. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Just an FYI for you guys... When "quoting" a post to comment on a photo. You don't have to include all the photos in that post, you can delete all the others from the quote. An easier way is to right click on the image you want and "copy image URL" Then when you reply, hit the yellow button with the mountains and "paste"

Great photo Doug

[​IMG]

6. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

The photo of this car used to be showcased in the Hilborn catalog if I'm not mistaken. Tom S. in Tn.

7. WCD

WCD

Saw this car, and the inj A/FA class rig that preceeded it, countless times. It was always on "kill". Not enough ink gave credit to the team for its effort.

8. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

i Is this the same guys from up north who had the Olds funny car? Tom S.

[​IMG]

9. WCD

WCD

CJ Hart did his best to keep the class alive by offering some money for those willing to run them. By the end of 1968, it was decided to let the class go as there werent enough cars left to sustian the bracket. Still, they featured a unique look, a hybred between altered and dragster. It was a shame that the NHRA eliminated the normally aspirated gas burning rendition of the breed (A/Comp Dragster) in 1971.

10. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

[​IMG]

Wayne Mahaffey had another accident after this one, unless I've gotten it mixed up again.

[​IMG]
    Not too many people got to see Billy Holt's Alabamian rear engine Chevy panel funny car. I flew from Los Angeles to Atlanta, Georgia to photograph Holt's new racer. A quick trip to Six Flags amusement park and we were shootin' photos. The very fresh funny car had yet to turn a tire. After a great photo shoot, I headed back to LA and two weeks later the Vega panel didn't exist anymore. Driver Wayne Mahaffey suffered serious injuries in the accident but was able to recover.

**taken form Drag Race Central: http://dragracecentral.com/drcstoryprint.asp?ID=228621

Wayne later drove for Perry Holt on the alcohol match circuit with good success. Great bunch of guys.
    Tom S. in Tn.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

If you look close you can see the other bank starting....

Ive seen a pic taken at a different angle with sparks out of both sides

Tony

12. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Frank now lives about an hour and a half from me here in Ohio.....
    I talk with him quite regular...great guy

And yes they raced "on Kill"

What was written on the back of their car kinda says it all,

"Show Me A Good Loser.... And I'll Show You A Loser"

Tony

13. ha-milton

ha-milton
    from van nuys

I completely agree, I spent some time looking over a competition coupe thread on here last night. Really, they are very beautiful, and unique racecars. Thank you for your insight.

14. Race Artist

Race Artist

15. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

oldie, but still interesting

[​IMG]

I don't know the exact reasoning behind holding the door open while cleaning the tires, but I've seen several drivers do this with no smoke inside. I think it was a means to see if the tires were working or something, but whatever the reason, I learned long ago to never ask why to a driver.

[​IMG]

Unless your strapped in behind the wheel while the car is on the track, 'you're just another spectator'. Tom S. in Tn.

16. BloFish

BloFish

I've got some catching up to do!

17. rick finch

rick finch

^^^ I don't know the exact reasoning behind holding the door open while cleaning the tires, but I've seen several drivers do this with no smoke inside. I think it was a means to see if the tires were working or something, but whatever the reason, I learned long ago to never ask why to a driver.

Tom, I think it goes back to when they were using rosin on their burnouts. They would open the door to make sure they were backing up through their tracks. Or I could be full of crap....

18. I remember seeing the A/FX guys open the door while backing up to make sure they stayed in the rubber they had just laid down. But I have no idea why they would open the door on the clean off launch??

19. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

The Chevy Boys from East Canton, Ohio

Attached Files:

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I recall the first time I was ever used out on the track was assisting during static bleach burnouts way back whenever, but we never backed them up. Drivers were too independent and there was always a lot of high anxiety around the starting line.
    Hi-gear dragsters or altereds with high gear clutches bolted together we had to push back by hand, but I always wondered about drivers holding the door open approaching the line.
    I suppose it was to see the mark. Tom S.

21. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

That's not the clutch. Mikio told me that one of his crew stuck some devcon in the header for show. Got his picture taken like they wanted. No damage on that run.

22. dirt42

dirt42

WOW WOW what a great set of photos. Guys take the time to follow the link it's well worth the trip.

23. Race Artist

Race Artist

Show biz!
    Joel

24. Still_Crazy

Still_Crazy
    from . .

That forward lean helps it get off the line better

[​IMG]

25. Guess he was afraid of a wheelie. :D

26. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

The awesome shots just keep on coming. WOW!

That string of crash photos is amazing, and scary!!!

27. slowmotion

slowmotion

Looks like Magnolia?

28. WCD

WCD

Naw, he was adjusting the radio to a more clear local station.

29. 296ardun

296ardun

Rick, I asked Don Nicholson because he was a Pasadena guy and put up with dumb kids asking questions ---you're right, they used rosin and backed up by opening the doors and leaning out to make sure the tires were in the rosin tracks...

30. I hope he had the volume turned way up!