Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Rod Nats history...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thunder Road, Jan 19, 2007.

1. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dick,
    No problem :) Very cool '34. There were a lot of nice cars there from your part of the country. As I recall, the bumperless black '39 Deluxe coupe below might have been from Missouri? I was rebuilding my own '39 at the time and I can still remember how much I liked that one.
    I have a batch of photos from the '82 and '85 St. Paul Nats that I'll have to work on copying and posting too... before I forget where I put 'em!!
    Terry

Attached Files:

2. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

3. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another neat car - still have it? And can you tell us what the tiny lettering below the pinstriping on the decklid said? ;)

4. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great car, great story! Thanks for posting!

5. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

No, I sold it at the Nats that year. The lettering said "to hell with how they do it in California"

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Here's a web site that has pixs of the NSRA shows: http://carnut.org/show/show.html

7. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, that's what I remembered. Got a kick out of that... thanks!

8. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I love these old event pics.It's a shame that people on here have run down the image of a street rod(der).Alot of the old timers we look up to now were/are proud to be a street rodder.Street rod is nothing more than a modified pre 49 car or truck that is driven.Has nothing to do with money or billet whatever.
    <------ i'm proud of my street rod.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I first built the 48 in a three month thrash in 1973 to drive it to Tulsa for the 73 Nationals. One memory was standing in that long line waiting to get into the Saturday night barbecue with Tex Smith and some of his friends. I had to hunt my wife down several times and figured out if I looked for a certain RED 40 Ford coupe she would be pretty close by.

Our own Skotz drove his 32 to Peroria and all of the following street rod natonals for a lot of years. I don't know how long his string of attending goes or went but he had one of the longest and the longest in the same car at one time.

10. In the beginning Street Rod Nats were in the hands of the street rodders themselves and not a corporate entity. Simply get inb your cars and drive them on the street and across country to meet other rodders. Street Rods were good then and they are good now.

11. My pal Curt bought that car from you. It always was a very nice car. He went on the have a few more nice car including a '26/27 modified that I helped him on a bit that was just in R&C. We've been pals since high school days.

Charlie

12. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I just saw the modified in a magazine. You guys did a great job on it. The first time I saw it in Kalamazoo, it just blew me away. I still see Curt once in a while, still friends. Does he have a 33-34 roadster now?

13. Yes, a '34 hiboy. Black, steelies, Duval w/s brown interior, 302 SBF, T5, Winters qc, black soft top. PM me your e-mail and I'll shoot ya a few pictures.

Charlie

14. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

Chops,Can I see it too?

15. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s