Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Magazine DVD BS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

This is quite true. If they send you any of those postage paid envelopes, fill them with sand or bits of steel and mail them back. You can cost them a fortune doing this . . . if it matters that much.

I gave up on magazines in general a long time ago. They're all about getting us to read the adverts, after all. Just look for a lousy product review - you'll pay Hell finding one.

Then again, I may be cynical.

2. i myself love musclecars and traditional cars and mild customs and prostreet cars and gold chainer street machines ,70 street freaks , gassers real or not , drag cars hell ... i just love cars

but its sad when i get my copy of hot rod in the mail i flip through it and then throw it on the coffee table and pretty much forget about it
    and when car craft arrives i open it read krass and bernie and junkyard crawl (or what ever steve magneto wrote) and then toss it on the coffee table and forget about it

even when they do articles about the "old days" i cant stand all that put a new engine/ electronics in a old car shit

3. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I give my Hot Rod subscription magazine to my 3 year old grandson every month. He sits on the couch flips through a few pages throws it in the floor and goes and plays with his cars and trucks. So I guess it's kind of a teaching tool for the kid.

48 Poncho

4. CruZer

CruZer

Right on. I like the diversity in Hot Rod and the roadtrips,etc. There are some issues that I read cover to cover and some I don't, but I always find some interesting articles in it.

5. Oh Boy another useless rant about Car magazines. Jesus, if you don't like em, fine don't subscribe, but obviously there are thousands of people each month that find at least some entertainment or value for the coupe of bucks it costs them ~ half a gallon of gas, once a month. If you can't find some useful information in Hot Rod or Car Craft each month, you aren't really a car guy

6. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

[​IMG]

It's not the magazine that's the problem... it's the matter of mailing people shit they didn't ask for and trying to bill them for...

awe hell...

[​IMG]

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

And I was waiting for that V8 crotch shot to show up.

8. but it turned into another mag rant, as usual

9. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

hmmm, yeah I guess it did.

10. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

If there is any doubt about keeping the DVD, it says in the letter you do not have to return it if you don't want it. I agree with the comments.....HR is crap. I even wrote to the editor and told him so...did no good though.

11. slammed

slammed

The OP was correct, in regard's to unwanted product. And the company IS skirting bad business practices. To a very loyal (waning) customer base. Another mag rant? Hardly. Before the 'net there was no real outlet to be heard. Those rat rod covers were nothing more than bait (pun!).

12. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I sub to Rod and Custom and the bastards sent the Hot Rod DVD also. What a shitty way to do business. I sent it back and said stop sending me this crap that I don't want.

13. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I like the magazine because they cover all different kinds of cars. If you think about it that's they way they always have been. If you're only interested in HAMB friendly cars, subscribe to Hot Rod Deluxe.

14. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I'm letting my subscription lapse myself. I'm tired of the bathroom floor looking like it's tiled with subscription cards.

15. 5window

5window

x2. It's 75 cents an issue. There's usually something that's worth that. I like the issues where they'll get an old time rodder to comment on pictures from the files. Honestly, if you don't want to read it, just don't subscribe. Too many other important things in this world to be upset about.

16. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

if a song comes on the radio i don't like, i change it of shut it off. i don't go looking for who ever wrote it or played it. it's quite simple.

17. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

Hot Rod did the same to me. I forgot about it for a year, then tried to mail it back. Only to find out DVD doesn't fit in the envelop, which only pissed me off more. I have it around here some where, if they want it back they can show up in person. I will gladly give it to them and they may get to leave with my steel toe boot as well.

18. Gets me everytime too! :rolleyes:

19. 5window

5window

We're all pretty silly here:
    For the OP-you get something in the mail you don't want-throw it away. Big Brother is not coming after you for it-and the law is actually on your side. And every magazine has tons of cards inside-in case you saw it at the proctologist's and want to subscribe yourself.

You gentleman who rant about the magazine content-don't read it. There lots of other choices, or you could spend the time with your family or work on your car.

As for content of Hot Rod, well the van years were pretty silly and I didn't subscribe. But, in the latest issue I got : 650 HP production engine,a nice tribute to Mrs. Peterson who really supported hot rodding, an interesting '34 Ford, a 7 page spread on a junkyard crawl and an okay article on where movie cars are sourced from. Now, that cost me 75 cents and I trade car mags with a friend, so really 37.5 cents. I can't even mail a letter for that anymore, so I have to say I got my money's worth.

In the end,it's your only day on earth you can count on-have a good one.

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha, the shit in a box reminded me of an old college "event". One drunken evening one of the guys decided that it would be a hoot to take a dump in the "crisper" drawer of his friends refrigerator. Pretty rude, but what came of it has stuck with us for years. Now any time something is not cool, or doesn't go well, the reply is "well, that's a shit in the crisper".

21. slammed

slammed

Lordy! Some tough hombres throwin' down. Take your own advice and turn the page.

22. I think Frieberger has done a good job with Hot Rod. He's a genuine car guy, not some stuffed shirt propped up in the Editor's chair. You're never going to please everyone, and magazines are no exception. If you think Hot Rod is bad now, did you read it 5-10 years ago?

Keep the free video, quit yer bitchin', and if you don't like the magazine, quit sending in the renewal and stop being a drama queen crying to a loaded audience.

23. I should have just asked what to do with that DVD. I'm sorry I expressed my opinion(s) about anybody's car/truck/magazine/project. I realize by doing that, I did exactly what this hobby doesn't need. Time wasting negativity. To me, there is a difference between junk mail and "product". I didn't know if I had to send it back, it makes sense now why I don't need to send it back. I did throw it in the garbage, and will not renew my subscription. And yes, it was worth the subscription price - but this "marketing" practice is not something I want to support.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  24. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I am shaking my head here.I cant believe this rant about a so called scam.It's just marketing.Nothing to get your panties in a wad about.The whole problem could have been solved by simply depositing the DVD in the garbage. There is plenty going on this country worth ranting about, this isn't one of them.

25. codeblu

codeblu

These magazines are sometimes the first introduction to the future rodders out there. Is it "Closing " time yet?

26. XXL__

XXL__

5window for President (except the part about spending time with family).

27. i have to agree. i dont give a damn about cookie cutter new mustang and camaros. i like old shit period. if you look back to there rag in the 60s, it was common to see articles and features on all types of drag cars. if you really want a good one for puupy pooper paper, look at car craft, popular hotroddong and good guys gazette. now it ia about sliding around cones and wo has the most money to get a 3 dollar trophy. that is why i like the hamb and buy mags that cater to what i like

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

All this over a damn DVD? Really?

29. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

And your tits apparently. :D

30. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

if you pick up a hot rod deluxe you will notice pics of go-carts,sand rails.some stock car racing,roundy round,midgets,salt flats,these all came from hot rod... now look at hot rod from the last 40 years.. go-carts sand rails stock cars,muscle cars,vans monster trucks.new stuff ,old stuff.. this is what hot rod magazine is... they dont cover just a single nich..they have to cover alittle bit of everything...and i like the road trips,the buying a rusted out POS and driving it across country..i enjoy the magazine...