Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Thanks alot. I sat from the side lines as my friend Russ did this round of bodywork!

2. Mine is still hanging in the garage while I finish the chassis.

Attached Files:

3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Exhaust fabrication and brake line, fuel line routing going on currently. Recently mounted the fuel tank, and had the radiator pressure checked, and fuel tank cleaned and lined. Determined seatbelt locations for front and rear retractable shoulder belts, painted the driveshaft and pinions. I'm using the original fuel tank, with a few dents for character. My 12" Brockman Mellowtones arrived today.....

Attached Files:

4. Skirv

Skirv

Lowered the front of mine about an inch more than it was.

[​IMG]

5. I mailed a set of wing window templates to Matt @ Townsend Fabrication, to mod up another set of wing windows for me. After those are done, I'll finish up the door glass install and then do the grille.

6. hope you do not mind I made this my screen saver. I think this says it all

7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

A few weeks back I got a runnining a shortbell housing 1954 331 hemi for my merc.I still need to get a radiator,gas tank, brake parts and have my trans gone through.I just want to get it running for now and when I have all the parts and enough money I want to restore it.I'm still undecided if later on down the road I want to put a built flathead back in it.

8. Skirv

Skirv

The Jerkury is down for some sheetmetal and rear suspension refurbs. Should be back on the road in a few weeks (minus body paint). The body is gonna come off so the chassis can be powder coated and reassembled with all new bushings, king pins and such.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Dang big overhaul for the old gal!

I'll have the wing windows back from Matt, and next stop for me is reliability. New radiator, rebuild front end, and probably the master brake cylinder.

Then grille.

10. Skirv

Skirv

It's one of those things that got a little out of hand PSJ. It started out as a simple rear suspension upgrade. My car was pretty reliable but needed some tweaking here and there. I was going to address the sheetmetal issues later but what the heck. I'm doing some side trim and paint changes also but more on that later. I'm pretty excited about it but my car is gonna be ugly on the outside for a while until I get it all ironed out. I hope it eventually does the car justice. PS-My front end is all stock except for dropped uprights and springs.

11. glassguy

glassguy

that is awesome bill!! sent ya another pm... hope thats the same rear end.. its got crazy high gears lilke 2;79 or something like that, but with 5 speed it would still scoot with 1st, thru 3rd then in 5th gear i got about 30 mpg at 70 mph

12. Skirv

Skirv

Still the same rear you put in it Dave, just changed the brackets so everything would work out the same with a 5 speed.

New lower rear quarters added. These are 49-50 quarters from Cars Inc. with the old 51 rear extensions grafted. Front looks high in the photos because the engine is out right now. Gonna pull the body and powder coat the chassis satin black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. On my 53 I am working on door glass, window channel replacement, vent window seals, recoating the inside. Damn these doors have alot of parts

14. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Been making great progress on my 50 Merc project. Little more rust repair on the doors, then all the rust repair is complete. Been working on mock-up for the front fenders, doors, outer rockers, and quarter panels.

Attached Files:

15. Wing windows by Townsend Customs... CHECK!

Mechanical stuff next stop (or the grille)

[​IMG]

16. Top and all jams done.All stainless/chromework/interior done. Headliner this friday,then front and rear glass...Final paint in about 3 weeks.Then final assembly.....getting a lil excited:D.

Attached Files:

17. on the one i've had for ten years, i couldn't find a grill shell to flip, so, i made one out of muffler tubing and sheet metal. turned out pretty well. rounded the hood corners. got the bumper brakets fit and mounted to the frame. the black one i just got sunday. it's a 50 with a nova clip, sbc.ect.... it needs some lovin, but, runs and drives great.

Attached Files:

• 12.BMP
      File size:
      144.1 KB
      Views:
    • photo.JPG
      photo.JPG
      File size:
      126.8 KB
      Views:
  18. New headlights opposed to junk year drop it had!!

Attached Files:

19. Here is what I am working on, all new seals, felts and glass. The glass is on the way from Chris the glassman here on HAMB.

20. desotot

desotot

mine is still in the body shop waiting for paint, should hit the road next spring.

21. I just got my frame all torn down this weekend, going to get it sand blasted. Transmission & Rear end is in the shop getting gone through. Have front 3" drop coils coming with shocks & have 4" rear spring already.

Have a question on the rear frame where the shackle mounts to. Is this bent or is it suppose to be like this? If it is bent should i brace it up or just weld the crack? Thanks

Attached Files:

22. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

1949 mercury,
    It looks like you should weld the crack. I think the bent part you are referring to, is supposed to be bent.

Attached Files:

23. Ok thanks. I will weld up the crack & leave it the way it is.

I have read your whole build & has help me out a lot with all the pics. It has motivated me to get going on my car Thanks.

24. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

1949 mercury,
    I'm glad my build has helped. I try to take pictures of every step, disassembly, clean, replace/repair/modify, paint, reassembly. I have a lot of pictures that I've never posted. If there's something in particular you need pictures of, feel free to ask. If you haven't purchased a chassis manual and a body manual, you should. The pictures definitely help.

25. still waiting on glass to get here.

26. BEWARE Not for the weak hearted!!! Just a glutten for punishment!!!! Started this one this morning. Trying to save/undo somebodys MAJOR screwup!!!! Its a 50 Merc that was originally a southern Calif car. Sat for years in Georgia due to the bad top chop! Now to come up with a name for it! Im using a 4 door top to fix the A-pillers and then a 2 door top I have laying around. Im taking it back to original heigth only to give it a haircut!!! Stay tooned!!!

Attached Files:

27. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Ether, you've already made it look better.

28. jfrolka

jfrolka

Got the chassis almost 100%, floorboards skinned, chop started and almost done.

Need to find more info about the Offenhauser merc 3 speed trans adapt to small chev motor.

Attached Files:

29. redroaddog

redroaddog

Ether i can't wait to see what u do with this one!!!!:cool: