Register now to get rid of these ads!

OK, why, an inliner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Jan 31, 2012.

1. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

HELLO!!!! That is awesome! I have been toying with the idea of turbocharging mine, and here you are with one all done. Do you have any build specs or tips you could share? You can PM me, thanks!

2. Thats just toooo purdy!!

3. why not? an engine is an engine, power can be made with any configuration of engine, and plus if its just a cruiser 6's are great.

4. LMFAO

But think of that heavy out dated beast running a 235 with a pair of deuces on it.

Here is a story, a long time ago I had a '46 coupe. I loved that car and had it for quite awhile. I was running a clevland hamster under the hood for awhile and it really made it fly, but my original engine in that car was a 3 deuce 331 caddy. I still had the original engine under the bench and enough pieces to freshen it.

I had to make a trip to a funeral of a good friend and decided last minute that it really needed to be a fordillac. it was an all night deal for me and 6 of my buddies and I almost missed the funeral but it made the trip with the cad mill. It was just the right thing to do.

Sometimes you do things just because they are right.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Right on! Ever notice at car shows and cruises people will look over a car,and if an SBC is under the hood they just glance and walk away? If something else is under the hood it draws attention and curiosity.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

prefer the originality in my 40's-50's cars that came with straight sixes. I'd replace a 216 with a 235 in them though if they came with a 216.

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

why an inliner? the simple answer is to be different.

you can build a sbc or sbf cheaper and with more power (for dollar spent) than pretty much any other V8. Your basically asking why doesn't everyone run a sbd or sbf. Have you ever priced building a y-block ford? not cheap and in the end you don't have gobs of power, but they are cool and sound fucking killer. the whole point of a hot rod is to go faster (than stock) and be unique. If we were all running sbc's or sbf things wouldn't be that interesting.

Watch this OFF TOPIC youtube clip and tell me this isnt pretty cool...yes its a 65 mustang coupe that is pretty streetroddish but how many mustang coupes have you seen and walked right by? this is unique and pretty fucking impressive. An inline running in the 9's, that looks fairly plain, you sure as hell wouldnt expect to see that motor under the hood or expect to see this car running 9's.

Bottom line any unique engine is worth hot rodding, I respect the sbc and it IS traditional, but I would rather lay my eyes on something different...inline, v8, 4 banger I dont care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8NdXG_t95U&feature=related

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

The front of my car sounds like a sewing machine, walk to the back and you hear the rap coming out of the smitty mufflers. shift through the three speeds and folks trip out since you rarely hear a car rapping the pipes around my neck of the woods. Most ask me at red lights what's under the hood, i simply say a straight six.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    volvobrynk likes this.
  9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

On a mid summer day in Phoenix a seat cooler would be much better and appreciated :D

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Why an inliner? because I can. $4400 in '78. Coup cost $75 in '65

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I love inliners, always have. But performance is not always my goal. Aesthetics and mystique ar more interesting to me. Especially when you're talking about an aluminum headed DOHC six that weighs 380 pounds and puts out 220hp.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

pretty obvious that you are pretty closed minded.Faster isnt always better,people like different things.I am into early lowriders but really like the early speed equipment but have no desire to actually go faster.I have had dealings with all genre of car builders be it kustoms/hotrods/pebble beach/lowriders and have taken pointers from them all and I think that puts me in a better place as far as relations.

As far as "louder",its not that but more for the "rapp" but I grew up around that enviorment.

13. XXL__

XXL__

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I am a Chevy guy and I revere the mouse motor but for any Chevy 54 or older, it's got to have a inline 6. It just isn't the same with a V8 because those year cars are about taking your time to get to no particular place,in style.

15. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

The car in my avatar was a gutted post race car with a built 454 running high compression pistons, full roller valve train, single plain intake, holley 930 and patriot fenderwell headers.

It was lightweight and had a built........wait for it.......... V8!!!

Seems more like I met my objective right on the head with a near 500 cubic inch V8 in a lightened race car.

But hey, thats just me!

I had to sell it off due to the economy before I had it on a dragstrip so no numbers and I don't like to guess Et's cause everyone will argue with you. The car is residing in Canada now and hopefully got finished and raced by now.
    [​IMG]

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

I've built three 235's,two 261's and a 302 GMC in the last 20 years.All of these for my own trucks.Actually I prefer the sound of a V8 and like the Chevy V8.But I keep building the fucking 6's.
    As far as being cool,I don't think any engine is cooler than any other.All car engines made in the last 80 years are boring , engines with exposed valve gear are not boring.90 percent of people have no clue what they are looking at.They look at the 302 with headers,4 barrel carb in the 37 Chevy pu I had and ask " Is that the original flat head 6 ?"

17. XXL__

XXL__

This could also be applied to the Toyota Camry.

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

Or 90 percent of hot rods built before 1955.

19. firingorder1

firingorder1

Well Scot, This inline in the Harris and Wester Camaro has put three people in the 200 club at Bonneville. With a top end of I think 217. If that doesn't convince you ask Ike Iaconno about sixes.

But I think you should seriously reconsider your "underpowered, heavy, outdated" statement.
    [​IMG]
    By weslake at 2012-01-31

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

My 2 cents, and not out of meaness either.......I don't see the need for say, 500 horse screaming anything on the street.
    Sure some can never get enough HP, but really what good does all that do? 12 mpg or less, fastest guy to the next stoplight, you get to be the first guy up to the speed limit on your block???? If you need the rumpity rump sound get to the track:)thats what I do. Again not trying to insult anybody but mostly guys drive around in the high powers and never get to use them to there full potential. This is from a custom guy.....obiviously not a hot rodder:eek:

21. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

well that doesnt help your argument

22. You should broaden your horizons a bit. Many of us posting here why we like 6s also like a wide range of engines. My T had a 348, my 54 has a 350 which I built both of. I owned the Rocky 34 with a flatty and have at least another flatty in the shop for my brothers 27 roadster. My Tudor is getting an early smallblock, love the small journal stuff. I also have the Lakester with the Stovebolt that will be able to run anything from the A Banger I have up to V8s.

It sounds like you just wanted to stir up shit and not get into honest discussion?

23. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I don't believe that at all...he sounds sincere to me, he just believes strongly in V8s that's all. Give him a chance before this thread gets ruined.

24. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I get that but asking why an inline over a V8 is like asking why a flathead over a OHV, or why drum brakes over discs...etc. If he has to ask, he doesn't really "get" what the hamb is about.

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Reminds me of another discussion I had some time back. A friend of mine who is kind of cheap, was trying to make a deal for a nice 56 chev 2 door post car. One reason the owner wanted a lot of money, was the recently built big block under the hood. They were several thousand $$$ apart. The seller stressed the $5000 he had spent on the motor. My friend said "why don't you keep the motor and cut the price $5000?". In the end, the seller agreed to cut the price $3000 and install a dead stock, fuel injection 350/350 he had recently taken out of a Caprice.

A week later my friend called the seller and asked if he had done the engine swap yet. The answer was "yes and the car is no longer for sale. It is so much nicer and easier to drive with the stock 350, and the mileage is great. I'm having too much fun driving it all over the place".

Moral of the story, you don't have to have the most powerful motor in town to have fun with an old car.

If you think nothing will do but a 1000HP big block that is your trip. Go ahead and live it up.

Others can have a different opinion.

26. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Lots of questions get asked on here........thank goodness they are not all about the same thing. The Hamb is evolving a little too much for some and not enough for others. There will always be controversy. By the way I run a 230 L head Dodge, 3 on the tree, bias tires and drums:)

27. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Yeah the whole discussion is taking a Zen turn... the guy believes the only worthwhile car must have the biggest V8 you can get... yet when he gets it, he can't afford to keep it and sells it before he can turn a wheel... while if he had a cheaper car like a 51 Chev 6 he could afford to keep it and put gas in it and drive it.... but that wouldn't be a real hot rod... so it is better to have no car at all and be a real hot rodder, than have a car and not be a real hot rodder.

Fantastic.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  28. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I see both your points, but it wouldn't have mattered what I had, all my toys had to go to support my family, dirtbike, car trailer, and yes, the 55. Had it have been a 51 chev with a straight 6, it would have gone too. I just have to put my family first is all. Things are looking a bit brighter, my wife that was laid off is working again, albeit for a much lower wage, but who knows, I'll be back in the habit this year hopefully, I still have a ton of go fast goodies that never made it on evilbay! I can only hope!

Long story short you can never predict the future, the 55 was probably 500.00 in safety equipment from at least making it to our local 1/8th mile, then the wife got laid off and we went into savings, then ran out and had to go into sell mode. Fault me on that all you want.

Scot

29. Yes and I have a number of time :D

30. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

No, I thought we were having a really great discussion on here. Its been really interesting reading everyones views about the subject. You listed a lot of super cool stuff and I have mentioned nearly all of them in previous posts, like the flatties, olds, hemis, even studebaker. The one I forgot is one of my all time favorites and you nailed it, the W motors. Never owned one but man it sure is something to see under the hood of a hotrod.

hope we can keep this going in a friendly manner,

Scot

volvobrynk likes this.