Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. ha-milton

ha-milton
    from van nuys

Here are 2 pictures of my fathers AA/MR Blown Fuel Modified Roadster @ San Fernando. Butch Cederquist/ Curt Hamilton/ & Pat Foster.... Body by Carl Kruhme (sp). The body was radically altered and against the rules ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

The fear in the eyes of the crew member in post 30790, sitting next to the jet powered gocart, made my day.
    Thank's Doug for the massive posting

3. WCD

WCD

Give us the history on the car. Modified fuel roadsters were rare. The body doesnt appear to feature any proportions that are wild or extravagent; its appears to be pretty generic for the class.

4. WCD

WCD

The shot of the Impossible Dream Austin seen crashing was the former Herrera and Sons AA/GS car from 1967. Dan Broguirre (spl) ran it in A/Gas with carbbed 427.

5. WCD

WCD

Nope. The fireworks emanating form the Stone T were the result of new headers being mounted for the first time. Inside were some "imperfections" from being welded. One good whack of the throttle and the rough welding beads were cleaned out. This as per a friend of the driver/owner. Also, in the same series there is the burning Dodge Charger F/C. That was Al Graeber's Tickle Me Pink on what was to be the last run for the fabled East Coast match race car.

6. "You tightened the lug nuts right?"
    [​IMG]

7. Well now we know what happened to one of the original LO23 Hemi Darts

[​IMG]

hurts to look at that :eek:

8. Falconred

Falconred

Anyone know where this Dart wrecked? I remember one rolling at Silva, NC during a SS meet. Most everyone was using a one hoop roll bar with one back brace during this period, scary to think about.

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

I had this pair of photos taped on the wall of my bedroom 45 years ago.
    Pomona...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

another repeat, no doubt
    "Win This Car"....no thanks, you can keep it

[​IMG]

looks like someone's backyard BBQ us going to get an uninvited guest

[​IMG]

my guess is this is the Pete Ogden wreck at Bako

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. WCD

WCD

Nope, Rubix Cube.

11. Looking at that again, I think that is a clone - probably built from a 270 model. too much chrome on it.
    this is what shipped from Hurst
    [​IMG]

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[QU
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the "high dollar" shops of the 1960's :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

13. That's not entirely true. On Sunday, July 20, 1969 every car in the pits fell silent. Even "Weed" put the microphone down and we listened to Walter Cronkite describe Neil Armstrong's first steps on the Moon. When Neil uttered his famous words, the entire facility went wild, cheering for what the USA had just accomplished. For over 30 minutes that day there was no thoughts of what we were there for. Finally, when "Weed" came back on the PA, we went back to working on our cars, or bike, in our case, with a real sense of pride. At least, on that summer Sunday at LIONS, "breaking news" was the star of the show.

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Mazooma1, let me know when you write your book I'll buy one, thinking back thats the way it was for me in the 70's , get a ride to the track , or ride your bike , watch drag racing all day, not a worry in the world just watching my hero's race who lucky for me would become my friends years later in my life, Thanks for the pics and makeing me think back in time Tim Jones

15. purpledodge

purpledodge
    from Tucson

Bob Perry from Tucson.

16. WCD

WCD

"At Lions there was, maybe, four pay phones.
    I remember two by the snack bar on the west side and, no doubt, there were a couple of others somewhere.
    We survived all day and into the evening without having to talk to anyone except with those that we were with.
    We didn't need to know "breaking news".
    All we had to do was simply enjoy the entire day without one distraction.
    It was all nitro, noise, smoke, visual overload and hot dogs."

What you speak of is called living in the moment and not always yearning to be somewhere else engaging in dialoge with another. Yet, were you to be there with that other person, you would be texting to yet another person. It satisfies the need for immediate stimulation. A lot of texting is about senseless minutae; Whats your favorite donut? Ever have a hole in your sock, Ever... hold on HAMBERS, I just got a text message, be back later to complete this thought.

17. More on the theme o' the day...
    Al Joniec goes for a walk in the woods.
    [​IMG]
    Hot Rod, Oct '66

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

19. The Austin is Broguires car. It was the 1976 March Meet, he lost it on the burnout, I saw the whole thing happen. That car was repaired and ended up as a bracket/street race car. The last guy I know of to own it was Tony Nodo here in Cali.

20. 65Coronet500

65Coronet500

This last car is a midwest one. Looks familiar. Anyone ID it please?

21. As one who has survived a crash like those posted lately, and am now suffering the concequences, I will be glad when we get back to pics of cars that made it out the back door unhurt.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  22. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Hey guys, Ive been posting a bunch of drag racing/dragster pics over in my thread for Famous Texas tracks/stories/shops Ive asked to include all states bordering Texas as well. If you guys would help keep the thread going any way you can Id really appreciate it. I would love to hear some more stories from any of you that where there.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656268

23. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

[​IMG]

Franklin Graf was one of the owners and the tuner on this car.....Last year at Rocketfest he told me the story of this run.....seems he had tried to reshape the exhaust ports with Devcon (Devcon is an epoxy made with steel for those who don't know) Anyway this is the result of a Nitro motor burning the epoxy out during the burnout.....He said it was pretty funny cause whoever they where racing thought the engine was going sour ...when there was really nothing wrong with it

This car would go over 200 mph regularly

Tony

24. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

[​IMG]

7.01 @ 211 was their best

25. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Heres another pic

[​IMG]
    Graf and Yoshioka's 'Stone T' at Bakersfield 1971. In the lights. Frank Graf did the engines and Mikio Yoshioka drove

26. Rico's Chop Shop

Rico's Chop Shop

Not sure how to flip the picture but this was my old man back in the early 70's at pir

Attached Files:

27. One Finger John

One Finger John

Interesting, the experiment was done on on bank only. Maybe the head was damaged and the Devcon was an attempt at repairs. Save a buck, get another run out of it. Wonder what F. Graf was looking for as far as performance improvement.

28. One Finger John

One Finger John

Sorry to hear, what happened?