Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

The top and the seats are the only big pieces left that we need.

Everyone's help in finding the parts has made this much easier and less frustrating than it would have been.

I'm glad I stumbled across the HAMB a few years ago. I don't know if the sedan would have lost steam and ended up as a pile of parts like so many other projects if it wasn't for you guys.

In a very subtle way, you do keep our feet to the fire!

Again, thanks!
    Rick

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just got the numbers from Ron... Then thought twice about posting his number on the internet with out his knowledge. I put a call in to him and got his wife, who said he down here in Phoenix today. His cell isn't responding. I'll keep up on this throughout the day and keep you informed.
    I'm just going to find out now whether I'm going to Grand National Roadster show this weekend or not. Hope to see everyone this weekend!

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just got off the phone with Galaxie Steve. His numbers are 928 681 3499 and
    928 486 5276 He deals with early to mid sixties Galaxie stuff only. We talked for bit about options, and he told me that '61 and '62 wagon roofs are quite different. '60 and '61 share the same stamping, and '62 '63 '64 another completely. He has a '64 you could use if you need to go that way, but offered other options that might fit the bill otherwise. Sounds like a trip to Kingman might be in your future! Oh, stop by Oatman and feed the burros for me, ya hear?!

4. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Thanks for the info. I will call him now and get educated(if that's possible).

5. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I just got off the phone with Steve. Nice guy. He's going to give me the number of a guy in Utah that he knows had a top off of a 61 wagon. He's not sure if he still does, but I'll leave no stone unturned. Nice cliche.

6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Rick,
    You might want to call Bobby Walden, He makes a quality roof/insert and could make any crown that you desire, He's gotta know this car and he works with Jake in the Jitney Line. It should be able to fill at least one of parts off the list. Just a thought.

Re: Inspiration: The Eastwood & Barakat sedan Post #18 has a shot of the roof
    as it looks today.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  7. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I talked to Bobby about it at the Rose Parade and we decided to go with the way it was originally done.
    And yes, his work is the best!

8. Rick - I really like the fact that you and P-Wood are staying so true to how you built this car. It actually creates more of a built rod rather than a bought rod. I think that's a really cool aspect to this car.

9. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Greg-
    Thanks for the comment.
    There would be no purpose in doing it any other way. It would be just another car.

Believe it not, by today's standards, this is a budget build. The fact is some of the parts we are using were lying around and others are being donated to us is the same way it was done 30 years ago.

That was when people were just happy to see another hot rod on the road.
    When those people helped us, they had no idea that the car would be well known. They just thought it sounded like fun and they wanted to be a part of it.

We were fortunate then and we are fortunate now!

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Pat-
    The driveshaft got delivered today. It feels like Christmas!
    It looks even better in person. I can't believe how nice the welds are.
    Again, thank you.
    Rick

Attached Files:

11. Rick, those welds are my standard of every day work in the shop when I'm in it, and the standard is not broken. TurdyToo started that standard as he taught me.
    I hope you like it as much as I do. The only problem possibility is if the transmission has the O-ring boss on the output shaft. I can give guidance on how to grind out and correct in the redneck way I have done many times.
    Rick, would you mind showing the condition of the container, and how it was shipped on UPS Ground? Little Rock AR UPS center to wherever UPS center in the LA area.

12. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

About all I can say what a great thread! I remember verry well when I read the original article, living in Topeka Kansas at the time alot of muscle cars but not much hot rodding there, I was in awe when I read the original article as well having that experience all over again in this thread! Keep up the great work!!!

13. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

3kidsnotime-
    Your name could easily have been mine for the last 24 years! Thanks for the post!

I just got back from the GNRS and saw a lot of people I haven't seen for a while.

Picked up the M/T Valve covers from Kevin(Kiwi Kev) who really does have a nice "nasty habit" If you don't get it look back in the thread.

Also, picked up a really nice hood top ready to be punched from Lurker Mick.
    The Stags from Utah are sure a great group of guys. The club has been around 55 years. Amazing!

Anyway, I will be posting pictures of all the good stuff tomorrow.

Thanks again Kevin and Mickey!

14. MadJack68

MadJack68

15. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

MadJack68-
    I just e-mailed and called BigM. Thanks for the lead! This is the type of help I need.
    Rick

16. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Here are the valve covers from Kiwi Kev. A little paint stripper and a little power buffing and they will be like new.
    Thanks again Kevin for your generosity!

Attached Files:

17. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

This is the hood top I picked up from Lurker Mick. What a great deal he gave me. Also had the pleasure of dining with his group. Thanks for the good laughs!

It's a shame the paint is so nice. Check out the reflection. Oh well, a little paint stripper and they will be ready for Eric Vaughn's louvers.

Thanks again Mickey!
    Rick

Attached Files:

• Hood.JPG
      Hood.JPG
      File size:
      260.1 KB
      Views:
  18. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Need Louvers-
    Would you mind explaining the importance of bare metal when punching louvers?
    Especially how difficult it can make your job...... or theirs after the louvers are punched.
    Thanks,
    Rick

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Alright!
    A louver puncher guy like myself cringes when a customer walks through the doors with a completely painted hood and says "Back in (insert year here), I had a hood louvered and they when right through the brand new paint and it was perfect"... Memory being what it is and all, I'm bettin' that didn't happen!

When you bring something in for punchin', clean straight bare metal is the rule. Bare on both sides even. The reasons for this are many, first is layout. I have to be able to see where I'm going with out having distractions that will side track what I do. distractions are bad, trust me.

The second reason for bare metal is mechanical. Presses hate going through layers of stuff because instead of a quick up and down motion to cut and form the louver, any leftover paint has a tendency to make the dies slide away from each other. This results in ragged looking edges that either I or you have to spend a bunch of time fixing, and a highly "not so happy" customer.

The third reason for bare metal "what is on, must come off". A louver is a cutting and stretching opperation in one step. Metal stretches and forms pretty easily, paint, not so much! If you punch through paint, (especially on the out side of the hood) it fractures into millions of tiny shards and makes the biggest stripping mess you can imagine! Think of the fun you'll have with a scraper taking thousand of stuck bits of paint from between 130 bumps or so! That'd be a great time to have kids and teach "character building exercises".

The last reason for bare metal goes back to one earlier. if the dies can skate around on a film of slippery paint, not only is the finished project raggedy, but it kills my dies quickly. The cutting surfaces erode quickly when used on painted surfaces.

Straight? Heck yes! While several rows of louvers can do wonders to disguise and tighten up and not so perfect panel, it still needs to be at about 90% straight. If you have a wart even 6" away from the pattern the shrink out, you'll find that it's gonna be a bear to do after the louvers take up all the loose stuff down stream. Best to bring it to your puncher AFTER it's nice and straight. The straighter the piece, the better the finished stuff.

As long as the subject is up, one last quicky. If you can avoid it, don't sandblast something you intend to have louvered. It work hardens the material and makes it a bit harder to form. i can definitely see the difference in a louver punched in fresh 18ga. cold roll, versus the same piece of steel after sandblasting. Do a quick mechanical stripping of the area to be louvered with paint stripper, sanding, coating removal disc, whatever poison you prefer, have it punched, then later have the panel blasted.

Sorry if I got a bit windy Rick, but this a supject near and dear to my heart 'cause it's my eveyday... Now if you want to talk patterns... Set aside a month or so, 'cause that's where the magic happens! Combine that with the drama of having to know yor right before you pull the handle, 'cause this stuiff doesn't give you second chances!
    Chip

Attached Files:

• 450.JPG
      450.JPG
      File size:
      234.7 KB
      Views:
    • 529.JPG
      529.JPG
      File size:
      220.8 KB
      Views:
    • 530.JPG
      530.JPG
      File size:
      208.5 KB
      Views:
    • 671.JPG
      671.JPG
      File size:
      155.6 KB
      Views:
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just a P.S.

If you guys want to see the ultimate article ever written on louvering, dig out your April '93 issue of Rod&Custom and check out what Gray Baskerville talks about in it. Page 44. Between that article and looking at Eric Vaugn's work, and Larry Bragga's stuff it formed the style I use to this day.

21. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Chip-
    Awesome explanation! That was exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks for the input. Any other questions about louvers?
    Rick

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely my pleasure Rick! Right after I got your P.M. this morning I dug out my copy of Hot Rod with your car in it and tried to explain to my girlfriend what your request and this car meant to me... She said it looks like an older version of my Plymouth!!! Mission accomplished!

23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Found a dash on the HAMB. More details as I finalize them.
    I will be posting plenty of pictures tomorrow.

I can't believe how helpful ALL the HAMB guys are. This project would be a lot harder to find all the parts without you guys!

24. Hey Rick, you're certainly welcome as far as the hood is concerned, I just hope it will work for you.

Thanks again for setting aside your evening to entertain some goobs from Utah, it certainly made our GNRS experience most memorable!

Mick

25. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Mick-
    Without mentioning names, I have a funny story about dinner that night. One of the 3 gentlemen that we knew at the table behind us, who will remain nameless for their sake, has a tradition of ordering a number 4 without ever opening the menu.

For the rest of you, bear in mind that we are at a Mexican restaurant.

Guess what showed up for dinner? PANCAKES!!!!!! My sides were killing when I heard this.

Back to business, here is the finished chopped windshield.

Attached Files:

26. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I just got off the phone with Kenny aka the oldrodkid. The dash is on its way!
    One more thing completed and another new Team Member.
    Thanks Kenny!
    Rick

27. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Fuel line is finished going through the frame. It helps keep it away from the exhaust.

Attached Files:

28. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Just spoke with Pete. We got a lead on a top and will be going to see it tomorrow morning after breakfast at Leroy's. I think I'll order a number 4. haha.

29. MadJack68

MadJack68

Maybe the #4 saved you from a #2! :eek:

30. Suddenly I don't feel so bad about how crusty my mock-up block is ! :D