Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Who's Building a T?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Nov 19, 2011.

1. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

While my build is still on paper I have located a '26-'27 Coupe Body that is a shell that I'll be buying Monday. Now I need to know were the Gas Tank was on a '26-'27 Coupe? I thought it was in the trunk? But not sure and I need to know so I can locate the tank in the stock location to keep NHRA happy.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Oh really? Thought you were going to wait on buying a body??? :confused:

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Gas tank is behind the dash in the cowl.
    What appears to be a cowl vent is actually the gas filling point.

4. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Tank was inside of the cowl, 10 gallons

5. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Putting the tank in the stock location on a 26-27 Coupe will not make the NHRA very happy at all.

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Nothing makes the N(o)H(ot)R(ods)A(llowed) happy other than big money and TV time.

7. Img0159bw.jpg
    Another shot from my files.

8. i built this car over a 2 moth period

9. i also buit this car if you have any questions on either let me know

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

How come so many model T coupe builds never seem to get a decent roof finished???

11. Kyle Paul,
    Man have you built some great T's, Kyle. I love both the maroon and the green one.What are the specs on the green one's frame? I love the stance. What kind of suspension? Where are the cars now? Thanks for posting up on this thread. Any more shots you'd like to share of either car?

View attachment 1552267

View attachment 1552268

Did I see a YouTube video of a woman driving the green one. "(NAME)'s First drive" I believe it was called.

12. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

Well here is my start for my Tall T Street/Strip project. I bought this 1926-'27 coupe shell yesterday and will pick it up soon. I will also be ordering up Speedways '27 Deluxe frame as the platform for my build. It will come with the mounts for a 289/302 engine and a C-4 transmission. I will hang a 9" rear-end with a pair of Suzuki Samuri rear leaf springs with a Cal- Track Bar setup so it hooks good and is still street-able. The body will be channeled the depth of the frame-3" and I'll leave the top stock height for now. I will using a set of '28-'29 model A Doors(same as T) and making a plaster mold of both doors. Then I will make a set of fiberglass doors with some steel channel for strength. The windows will go up and down on a strap like a lot of bracket cars do so there will be no need for a regulator and the window will be Lexan as will all the windows except the windshield. I will be using a reversed Ross steering box out of an older Combine so I can have cowl steering. my '27 coup body 1.jpg

my '27 coup body 3.jpg

my '27 coupe 2.jpg

my coupe 4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  13. I'll ask Mercury Charlie if he's willing to share the details on how he made his old T's roof. It was really well done, IMHO.

660275-5C272720T20coupe2020COOL_2.jpg

14. the greet T was on a model A frame zed up front with a stock cross member , reverse eye spring and 4 inch drop axle . the rear was a 7 inch kick up with model a rear cross member and buggy spring . cant remember tire size besides they were 15 s . i have no clue where the green T is now .i do know the brown car lives in Germany now

15. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I live in Thornton Co and I am building a 27 T coupe .Half done,built new frame ,steering and suspension done "well almost". Suicide front vega box,Original reworked column and steering wheel ,327 small block,8 inch rear,4 inch channeled body,3 inch rake chop from the front out of the header.Deuce grill shell shortened,Half way decent body.Still need a bunch of crap to finish.Problem is I have been working on my friends cars not leaving time for mine lately.I will be back on it this spring.

16. Sounds like a great project LOWLID. I'm in Littleton. How 'bout some pics?

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

So how's the material go on to these wood tops??

18. Here's an example of a top that I like because it is slightly rounded, rather that flat and squared off looking.

SNV16453.jpg

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Yea I was actually studying that one!

20. Racrdad

Racrdad

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The perimeter wood of the T closed cars top should have a nice rounded edge something like the original stuff. Find an illustration of the top wood kit for a 28-29 Ford Model A Closed Cab Pickup for a good idea of the right way to handle this.

22. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

does anybody remember what mag the gold car was featured in ? or more pics on the hamb !

23. chaddilac

chaddilac

Rod and Custom....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  24. T's are cool. I'm ejoying this thread.

25. Chaddilac, I used the wood kit from Fordwood.com, and the top upholstery kit from Mac's.
    After you have the wood side rails bolted into place, the cross slats go in, I notched my side pieces so the cross slats would fit flush... then, you stretch the chicken wire (and expect some bloodshed during that phase) stretch it tight, and staple it to the wood, and trim the excess. Then comes some muslin fabric, then the foam, then the top canvas, Mac's sells a vinyl that hopefully will last longer than the original stuff..
    A friend of mine and I did the top on my Tudor, and while it isn't a professional job, I'm pretty proud of the results, never having done anything like that before...

Attached Files:

26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I added some tube under the wood cross slats to help keep the body rigid and squared up.
    Probably over kill but just wanted to be sure.

Not that clear, but if you have one you will know what I have done.
    Should make installing a hood lining easier plus interior light.

Attached Files:

27. Damn why didn't I think of that before it was too late?

28. chaddilac

chaddilac

Whoa Cool!!!!

Are the metal supports necessary??

29. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I love model T's! here are some pics of my new rpu and my roadster that drove to Bonnville

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a blast at Orange drags this past year. looking forward to running at Fitchburg and winterport.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  30. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

26Tudor and FiftyV8,
    Thanks for the photos of the wood kit in place. I copied them and added them to my Tall T Coupe file. It will be a big help when I get there.
    Dutch