Register now to get rid of these ads!

alum lincoln wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48fordnut, Jan 29, 2012.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Quite a while back I saw a post about alum lincoln wheels. I did a search and can not find anything. Anyone have a pic? they were plain wheels

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think you are looking for Lincoln wheels from the mid/late '70s. When the center caps are absent they look a lot like smoothie Halibrands. Try google

Ray

3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

those are the ones. thanks.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've got a pair if you're interested.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I believe there are 2 or 3 styles of them. Some with small windows and some without. There may be more than one bolt pattern as the Versailles used a smoothie too. The biggest problem now is that so many of them have been melted.

6. fleetside66

fleetside66

Are you talking about the 16" X 4" (ish) aluminum spare tire wheels from the Late 80's Mercury Grand Marquis/Crown Vic/Lincoln Towne cars? I've been trying to find a picture of these, to no avail.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nope, he means Lincoln Towne Car and Versailles. My buddy Krafty B has 'em on his '64 Caddy, they look killer. The big car wheels have the 5x5 bolt pattern, the baby Lincoln is the small Ford 5x4 3/4. Happy hunting...

Brian

8. Lincoln Mk IV's used the smoothies and they were 5 on 5 as Brian mentioned I think The BIG T birds used them too

9. Under my profile there a pics of my tub with the smoothies on the back. They are 15" and 4 1/2 pattern.

10. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

oyt the tub is great. I want the ones with the small ford pattern 4 1/2.
    fleetside ,I thought they were 15 not 16. could be wrong.

11. rld14

rld14

They are all 15s. I don't think Lincoln used 16s until the 90s and those wheels wouldn't be of interest here

12. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

[​IMG][​IMG]i have these 15 inch wheels on a 1960 T-bird. they were original equipment on mid and late 70's FOMOCO cars. i had to replace all lug-studs/ bolts as the original were 3/8 inch too short. there are five slots in the black area and a cap that is attached with screws---BUT i was unable to get a second picture to load[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  13. All 15x6, some 5 on 5", some 5 on 4 1/2". Some had the small slots near the center - I always liked the solid ones and, years ago, I made a complete set into some pretty decent smoothie Halibrand lookalikes. Narrowed a pair to about 4 1/2", filled the holes and machined the lips where the center caps sat, machined off the wheel weight mounting lips on the front faces and gave them a light polish to look old. This was before Coker had their repop sprint tires so I fitted what I could find...

Steve

Attached Files:

14. Retroline

Retroline

These were Hemi Steves with the green tape attached.

Attached Files:

15. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Just FYI those wheels are excellent quality They were forged by Alcoa when I was a salesman working on a project at Alcoa

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Some more ??? How much do they weigh? Rare as hen's teeth or what? I never heard of them before but I sure like them. Gary

17. Gary
    I don't know about now but 10 years ago you could find them all day long at the U-pull it for 5 bucks apiece. Been pretty much overlooked in the traditional world as billet wheels instead of Halibrand look alikes.

The deal is that you have to work them a bit before you put them on or they just don't look quite right. You can still find them around here as ghetto cruiser take off. You just have to cruise the "Rin" shops and ask. Probably better go in a beater and go strapped. ;)

By the way I think they are a pretty neat substitute for halibrand Smooties if done correctly.

18. Timbo from Mempho

Timbo from Mempho
    from Memphis

I have a set off of a 79 Versailles. Would be glad to part with if this is what your looking for.

Timbo

Attached Files:

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Probably the reason most have passed them up and never seen them is that in their natural habitat they are covered with a double ugly plastic center cover that covers a large portion of the wheel. It was always fun, kind of like an unvieling to pull the center cover and find out whether you were looking at no holers or not so no holers. And P&Bner is right, you don't just harvest these and stick them on like aftermarket wheels. They can be made cool as proved above, but you do have to work for it.

I thought of one more variation as I typed in this answer, Has any body else seen the ones with the small holes and the two 1/4" wide 3/32" deep grooves machined about half way up the dish? Wish I had a picture.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just thought to ask on this. Does anybody know what the backspace is on these wheels off hand? I think it's pretty deep, but the wheels in my mind are turning since I saw this post last night.

21. Aren't those an optional Alcoa truck wheel for about 1980 or so?

The backspace I am going to say it is in the neighborhood of 3 inches. You have to remember that the wheel has a pretty thick flange that is going to eat up your backspacing. I wouldn't think that they are going to be as much as 3.5.

I wish you could find them in an 8 wide as well as the narrower wheel. They would be the tits in my gas coupe project.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm thinkin' my little full fendered '30 coupe that I have been collecting stuff for for ever! The sixes would work just fine for the back, and now I have availability and talent that wasn't there twenty years ago to narrow some down to 4 1/2" for the front. Bright orange, unchopped, low with a set of no holes... I submit, "It don't get no better than that"!

23. Drive Em

Drive Em

These are the 15 x 6 Chrysler wheels with the 4 1/2" bolt pattern. I flipped them around backwards and they look like a Halibrand as well:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  24. 73RR

73RR

The Chrysler wheel was used on the Cordoba line. Maybe Drive Em has a pic of the front...

25. Drive Em,
    I can't get to the site to see the wheels Norton has it blocked as a malicious site. It happens sometimes on photo bucket

If you go to manage attachments and out the url in the message box that says upload from URL then hit upload your pics shoud show up just fine.

Anyway here is the wheel in question.

Nice looking wheel anyway.

Need Louvres,
    While your at it make me a pair of 4.5s.
    Now if you could just take what you take out and put it in the rears for me we would be goo to go. :D:D:D

Attached Files:

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Drive em, that's the slickest thing I've seen since the Jake look alike from O-Z!

Awhile back, some Halibrands were made for that same purpose...Midgets and Sprints ran them.

GotLouvers is right...This really gets the gears turnin'......

P&B, are you serious enough to widen a pair? (guess you'd need 4 to make 2)

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wow, I like the Chrysler ones even more! As an aside, for some time I've been considering the mag-ish / slot-ish wheels supplied on older Ford trucks and Rangers. They have dual window slots and I've heard them called "deer hoofs" at some junk yards. The plan was to just powder coat them red, gray or an antique gold but leave the outer edge of the rim shiny. But I don't know how heavy they are. I do know they came in several diameters, widths and bolt patterns.

28. If I recall correctly, these have 3 1/2" of backspacing on a 6" wheel width.

Steve

29. Mike you bet. That would be the bomb on my gas class stude. A pair of 4 wides on the front and 8 wides on the rear. I guess 4 and 6s would work but 4 and 8s would let me run an 8-10 cheater and actually use the foor print.

if you had 4 and sut the fronts right you could just take the ring and split the rear and add it in. You would end up with two welds instead of one. You probably wouldn't come up with a full 8 but it would be close enough.

My biggest problem with that setup is that I would probably have to trim the fins on my rear brakes. To run a 15 on the 12" buick brakes you can only have a 3.375-3.5 back space without getting into the fins. My 10" steelies are 3.375 and just barly make he trip.

But I would give it a whirl for sure.