Register now to get rid of these ads!

460 swap into my 58 fairlane.. need help fellas!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, Mar 15, 2011.

1. greg

greg

I dont know how that thing works either, LOL
    I dont believe iv'e ever seen one before, but that doesnt mean it wont work.

2. greg

greg

3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

get you a 2 lb mini sledge... hit the hell outa it on the spindle right next to where the ball joint goes through but put the jack on the spindle some to put a lil weight on the lower control arm with the coil spring... it helps and makes things tons easier when trying to get em loose... mechanical advantage.... ...

4. Taff

Taff

i have used these for years with no problems, much prefer them to a pickle fork as there is less chance of damage to the joint.

5. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

I have my best luck with a 4 lb hammer.... never found one I couldnt get loose.

6. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

good ole BFH.... :D

7. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I dont think I'd loosen the top one just yet. From the video it looks like youre on the right track. The ball jiont tis the same deal as the tie rod end.
    Do ya know how to cuss like a sailor? It allways helps and now might be the time.

8. Taff

Taff

just re-read some of your thread
    first of all, stick with it. sometimes it can be a real bind on your own, especially with your father being unwell. keep at it, and focus on small taks, watch the big stuff fall into place.
    your rear suspension. did i read that the car had 4 inch blocks out back? Take them out to check ride height before spending on any suspension parts.

the sticking ball-joint. do you have acces to heat? by that i mean oxy-aceteline cutting gear, which could allow you to heat up the joint?

9. luvzccr

luvzccr

well as odd as this is going to sound, i went over there today hammering away again, and 20 minutes into it i stopped and said, "god if my grandpa is watching over me right now, give me a sign. make this finally come loose and just show me he's standing beside me every time im working on this car." in TWO HITS, it came off. i got goosebumps and shook my head in disbelief lol, but i got that part taken care of! now the arm wont lower though :/ i took another video to show you guys: since describing it in words isnt so good for me lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SOGZ5iSqlRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. luvzccr

luvzccr

the video isnt loading on my computer so if you guys dont see it let me know

11. greg

greg

yes, your exactly right. jack it up under a-arm, then put the spring compressor up through shock hole, then let it down. Its gets kinda tricky getting everything out, but you are doing great. just keep at it.

The new spring will be a little longer so it will be trial and error trying to get it compressed the right amount to get it back in the hole.

I love the part about grandpa looking over you.

12. luvzccr

luvzccr

notice i do have it pretty wrapped up with the chains in case anyone was nervous about me picking away at it with that pickle fork lol. but i was curious, do you think a shop can compress my new springs for me so they sit SUPER compressed?? they're pretty huge right now, and i have no clue how i'll get it up in there with one of the tools from o'reilly's. i had a real difficult time trying to get those compressors up in there, i could never tighten anything or get a wrench around it.

and it surprised me, i was literally hammering away for days, then today 20 minutes until i just stopped and did something i haven't tried yet. asking my grandpa for help. after that, bam, it just happened. freaked me out but in a good way

13. greg

greg

DSCN2990.jpg

This is the one I have. Im not sure what autozone has.
    You need to compress it yourself.

It looks like you dont need much to get the old one out, so put the compressor in your old one, and when you get it situated to where you can get it compressed enough to get the spring out, make a mental note of where on the spring you have the compressor. Then when you put the compressor on the new spring try and do it the same way.

you might even want to measure the compress length of the old one so you know it should go back in the same hole.

chances are you will have to play with where you have it clamped on the spring to get everything to fit.
    so you might have it on and off several times.

I had this spring compressor slip on me once, and kind of slid around on the spring so be careful when its compressed. leather gloves might help.

also, last time i changed springs the new one didnt work so I had to take it off and do it all over, but hey, the 2nd time was much easier.:rolleyes:

14. luvzccr

luvzccr

that was the one i used. there were different kinds of coil spring compressors i tried, but this was one of them. thing was, the rod kept hitting the top of my control arm, and i couldn't get it through the hole where the shock absorber goes through. hopefully you know what im talking about. but i'll give it another shot tomorrow on my day off.

15. luvzccr

luvzccr

success!!! i got ONE spring out, on the passenger side. and i tried putting the new one in... holy god it's damn near impossible i think.

i went out and just bought a spring compressor instead of keep on renting one. the one you took the picture of actually and it worked great.

i was able to shorten the new one with it, but to no where near as short as i could get it. i still need about 3 inches of clearance and i cant get the a-arm to move anymore down.

but it wasnt TOOOO hard to get it out. i can say, (with photographs too), that my original spring is half the size of the new one. ill upload them later if i remember

16. luvzccr

luvzccr

silly question to be asking, but would it be too dangerous to compress this new coil with an impact wrench? i remembered i put it in my '58 when i took the wheels off my '58, and i have the 3/4ths bit that'll fit the coil compressor. i just dont know if its too dangerous to do that with the impact wrench or just use hand power with a ratchet

17. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

i would use a impact but it probly says to do it by hand

18. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

19. luvzccr

luvzccr

actually i printed out all the suspension pages before i took the coils out, thanks though for the reference.

but guess what, i successfully got the coil, (just the passenger side today), in place. ill admit i had to cut a coil and a half off though, but it'll still sit several inches higher than it originally was.

but.. one issue guys.

so i got the spring compressor arms STILL in there. its stuck under the bottom of the coil wedged between the lower arm and the coil. ive been hammering away at it to get it loose with no luck.

also the top little arm of the coil compressor is in place too. just one side of it. one is free and swinging, the other one i cant tell what's making it stick up in there. its pretty high in there so i've been trying to hammer at it with a metal rod and hammer. no luck. any suggestions without removing this coil again, it was a pain in the BUTT to get in there by myself, good god.

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Jay, can you compress the spring compressor a little and rotate it any? I'm trying to visualize your problem and wonder if alternately tightening the compressor a little and rotating it can move the fingers up and away from the bottom and top coils. It may be possible, just be careful. Thread a chain through the coil and around the frame for safety.
    The only other alternative I think is to pull the spring out and reposition the compressor a coil or two towards the center of the coil. You need both ends free in order to seat the coil in the cups. If you can post a picture that might help. Another thought, once you have this one installed correctly the other one ought to be a breeze.

21. I had a hell of a time getting mine back in with only a half of a coil off, the spring compressor gets in the way of the A arms. I just had to keep working things around till I got it.

22. greg

greg

Maybe unscrew the threaded part all the way out, then try to knock the stuck arm around to where its easier to get to.

23. luvzccr

luvzccr

well i should probably update that i got the bottom arm of that coil compressor out. i hammered it out and now the one arm at the top of the coil is still stuck in there.

i tried everything to get that thing out yesterday, but no luck. its just one arm too, not both of them. i was thinking, could i just take a dremmel tool to it, grind off the arm a little bit so it wont intefere with the shock? it doesnt appear to be hurting anything with it right there. because for 2 hours yesterday i tried everything i could to get that thing to wiggle out but it is stuck firm up in there.

24. greg

greg

I have had to re-compress the spring, take it back out, then reposition the compressor arms in a different spot to where they will work. I know you dont want to really do that.

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

It sucks to have to do that way but its the right way, safer too.

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Jay: Try this: Get yourself a "tee" type compressor that compresses the spring through the hole in the a-arm. I made a simple one by getting some thick plate that is about length of the diameter of the coil spring plus 2". This will allow the plate to extend over the coils by 1". Then I bought a piece of 1/2" all thread. I then got a bushing with a hole through it for the all thread to pass through. The bushing will either have to be bigger in diameter of the a-arm hole, or you will have to use a spacer that will accomplish this, plus the bushing. See drawing for details. Then use this at the uppermost coil accessible and compress spring. You should then be able to get the other compressor out. SPRING COMPRESSOR.JPG

27. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

All this crap your going through with this car is making you a better mechanic and builder. The difference is a lot of guys would give up or just pay someone else to do it. YOU are gonna step back real soon and soak in all that you have accomplished....and it's gonna feel real good!:p P.S. bigger hammer always recomended. FST.Ford Specialty Tool. Got a drawer full of em':D

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Excellent point! I totally agree.

29. Fender351

Fender351
    from Deland, FL

Hey man,
    We are in the the same land yacht. I'm 25 and building a 59 Edsel Villager (wagon) with a 429/C6 combo. I've been working on it for two years' worth of weekends, and it's literally weeks from hitting the pavement. Any questions you got, I've probably already done it. As for your spring issues, you're doing EXACTLY what I did. That compressor with the central rod is for later McPherson struts. You want the Old School coil spring compressor. I rented mine at Autozone, ($35 here in FL) and you can keep it as long as you need, and you get a full refund upon return. It looks like this:

One more thing... PLEASE secure a chain through the coils after you get it compressed and while you're handling it. You've probably noticed that those things store a HUGE amount of energy, and if sprung on you, you could be in a world of hurt. Safety first!

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      18 KB
      Views:
  30. Fender351

Fender351
    from Deland, FL

With regards to your throttle/shift linkage puzzles:
    My donor car was a '69 Marquis. I bolted the Edsel's bell crank style thottle linkage to the top of the motor. I then connected it to the "arm" that comes from the gas pedal and thru the firewall with a homemade adjustable arm from this site:
    http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/08/ThrottleLinkage/index.php
    (very trick and very clean)
    I used the same idea to link my column shifter to the arm on the C6.
    Much cheaper than the Lokar products, and you have the pride of making it yourself. There are no kits used in my build.

Also, if you have a need for it in doing your brake/fuel lines, I made a line straighter that was considerably cheaper than the $200-$300 ones in Jegs and Summit. (It did NOT cost $100 to make)
    http://thecrawlpit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8147

Hopefully this will ease a few headaches! :)