Register now to get rid of these ads!

Duplicating vinyl texture on painted interior parts.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by apound, Jan 30, 2012.

1. apound

apound

Has anyone had any luck duplicating interior vinyl look on painted metal parts? I found a spray on texture coating from SEM (part # 39853). Has anyone used it or know of any tricks? The parts I'm doing will be very difficult and expensive to wrap in material so I'm looking for a similar effect I can spray on. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. chevnut55

chevnut55
    from ma.

I have been trying to do it. the closest I have come is to use hammertone and go over it with texture paint. my dad used wrinkle paint on his 50 chevy dash..it looked like undercoat.

3. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

Dude, I've tried everything, from the sem product to spraying & dabbing w foil & Saran wrap, you will never ever get the same affect, pay the money, get it wrapped! Good luck

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Does Orange peel count? :D I couldn't imagine replicating something that has as tight of a grain like vinyl.

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

the closest you can get is to spray the part with wrinkle black, let dry for a couple days then shoot with whatever color you want to end up with.

it looks ok, but not a perfect match.

6. apound

apound

Thanks for the ideas. I may try the hammertone and see what I get. Doesn't have to be exact, I just don't want it completely smooth.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Depends on what you mean by 'vinyl texture'. If that means the tiny little pock marks that are common to some vinyls, and IF the part to be painted will accept it, sandblasting carefully can replicate (sort of) the pocks. Also the sandblast finish tends to 'flatten' the paint as is commonly found on interior painted surfaces. Don't want to use excessive coats as that tends to fill the pocks and the effect is lost. Doesn't cost much to try a test panel of some sort.......may not be at all what you are looking for, but this suggestion doesn't cost much either......best wishes :)

Ray

8. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Try rattle can gravel guard for rockers and paint th color you want it to be as soon as it sets up, gives a reasonable result.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Very good suggestion...........dang! forgot about that stuff.....:D

Ray