Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thermador pad / cord replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopperman, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Chopperman

Chopperman

Picked up this thermador and it's in need of a new pad and cord. I've search, but have come up short on any threads outlining the process.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. PICS are a MAJOR bonus

Thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman

3. I thought you meant you picked up a box to keep your cigars in.

Can't help you, if memory serves the pad is just felt that glues in and the cord is just wires that go to a switch or your cigerette lighter. Should be pretty straight forward.

But alas I am no doubt totally incorrect on all points including the box to put your cigars in. :D

4. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

Chopperman,

It's impossible to repair your cooler. You should probably just sell me the car for scrap so you don't go further into debt.:D

I think Porknbeaner is correct in his estimation. A swamp cooler is fairly simple in its electrical setup. Probably just some 14 awg lamp cord with a cigarette lighter adapter. Some of them just use the movement of the air past the car and don't have a blower.

Let's see more of your project, please.

Mike

5. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

You can use Aspen pads, they come in different scents too! cut to fit and wrap around the center rat wire...the one i had you had to cut the spot welds to remove the end...the center shaft is spring loaded and the cord is just a nylon cord (better than clothesline) wrapped a couple times around the cage.

seal the shaft and end with some dum-dum and braze the end cap(s) back on

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've had a few of these over the years, some can be disassembled and repaired, others are spot welded together and literally sealed with tar. The spot welds can be drilled out and plug welded afterwards but then need to then ground smooth to look OEM before you repaint the body. If you remove the gauze at the front air inlet there is a knot for the cord on the inside of the drum that is accessible, depends on whether or not uses 1 rope or 2 and if there is an internal spring, some don't have this either. Cord is easy to replace, hardware stores have a few profiles in stock.
    Aspen is available and is merely wrapped inside a light galvanized chicken wire frame.
    This is a Cascade (Davidson) cooler to give you an idea, not identical to a Thermador but similar. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199892&highlight=thermador