Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should i take a shot at it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rats28, Jan 30, 2012.

1. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

My coupe is in for paint!! My Dad is a ole skool painter he said he is gonna do all the prep work and it's time for me to take a shot at spraying the coupe.I have sprayed a couple in my time with him just dont know if i want to take a chance of messing up the coupe lol.He said if it aint right we do it till i get it right thats the only way he will help :eek:

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Do it yourself with your dad's help. It honors your dad and you will feel good too about having done it yourself.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's going to do ALL the prop work? That's the hard part, you're lucky. Give it a shot, if you mess up it sounds like your Dad should be able to straighten out any issues.

Good Luck!!

4. harley rider

harley rider

what a cool deal to have your dad to do a paint job with.go for it.

5. nickk

nickk

yeppp, agree with the others, paintings fun, and if your dads gonna be there with you for back-up, then it seems like he wont let you go wrong

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

You absolutely need to be the one shooting it.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, it is only paint and if you screw up you either buff it out or scuff it and shoot it again. I had to spray my 27 twice to get some bugs and dirt out, no biggie. Plus, your Pop wants to help you learn.

Don

8. indybail

indybail

He** yeah! Shoot it. Sounds like you're going to be under the eye of just the right guy.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Any paint job you do on your own car is your work, your talent level, your working experience and there is nothing wrong with that. You can't be faulted for your own work if it is the best you could do or the foirst you have done. A sag, a run, a missed spot...they can be corrected and you'll do better the next time.
    The best part is that you won't have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for a job that, when finished, may turn out to be no better than you could have done in the driveway with a Kirby vacuum cleaner!
    I'm all for home brewed paint jobs, good, bad or great!

10. Now is as good a time as any. At least you have the ol' man to help and guide you.

11. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

Will do he has a paint booth at his place almost everything i need he's got i just gotta bring my paint color he's retired and has offered to take one more on one last time so here we go :D

12. MistShift

MistShift

Shoot that thing. Listen to dad's advice. Take your time. Wear PPE. Happy spraying.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sounds like something my 'ol man would say

have no fear you can do it, obviously he thinks you can or he wouldnt even put you in that position

I'd love for someone to make an offer like that to me

14. rcoffey

rcoffey

:cool:you will never learn by paying someone else to do it for you,the worst thing that could happen is you get to sand it off and try again. unless you catch something on fire

15. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I wish my dad was alive for me to have such an honorable opportunity. Dude, go for it! When he's gone, you will sit back and look at that car and feel pride and joy knowing that you and your pops did it together.

16. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

Some of the potential chemical damage to your body/brain is irreversible.

love it

17. Hell Fink I believe in ya. I got a couple here that could use a good squirtin. bring some paint and get after it. :D

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup...same as the others said. Plus it'll be a cherished memory later on. And spraying isn't difficult...just gotta have the paint-mixture and the gun-settings right, keep your gun the right distance from the surface, and don't "arc" with your passes...and other particulars. But I'm sure your dad will show you all that. Maybe he'll have you practice for a bit on a spare fender or somthin'. Get in there, and help with the prep-work too...if Dad will let you...lol. Funny thing about the prep-work...it's a unique combination of labor-intensiveness and artistry. Hard work, and still keeping a very close eye on what you're doing to the surface. On the other hand, you'll work up a sweat just spraying, too.
    Good luck. Have fun. And don't drag the damn air-hose across the wet paint!...lol.

19. n847

n847

I don't think you would ever regrett the time with your dad and you would take away the priceless ability to shoot your own cars, and as long as you own the car it will be the car your dad tought you to paint on! Even if it takes 3 tries:)

20. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Hell ya, let your Pops at it!! If he is going to help you out if you mess it up what more could you ask for. Be great for the both of you......

21. brad chevy

brad chevy

He has confidence in you so get it done. You worry to much about messing up and you will. Hes doing all the hard work. After its completed post some pictures.

22. robertsregal

robertsregal

go for it, you have a master to guide you!!

23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

That will be a lasting memory for both of you.Enjoy the time spent working together.

24. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

If you are shooting Base/clear, the base coat sprays easier than primer, biggest things I would watch for is if its metallic watch your overlap, and other than that when you get to the clear dont be shy with it, it looks ten times better if it starts wet and you have to cut and buff out a few runs than if you spray the whole car dry.

Good luck and have fun!!!

25. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

You should do it. Just to say you painted your own car is a great feeling.

I learned by painting the bottom of a small junk flat-bottomed sailboat. I put it on sawhorses upside down , sanded it, and did the primer, paint and clear. That practice alone made me feel confident in the total process so it didn't feel like I was going into it blind. You and I will probably never be as good as the pros and that's ok. Enjoy the moment with your Dad and have fun. Painting is a blast.

A couple defects makes it kind of cool anyway. At least that's what I tell myself anyhow. :D

Butch

26. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

I'm gonna go for it!! My dad said son I have watched you for 39 years and when you fell you got back up and finished what you started!!! I will post pics when it is done guys thanks for all your input.This is what makes TheHamb such a cool place :cool:

27. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Got to imagine a booth is awesome. I have to spray in the garage with the gun in one hand and a drop light in the other. I'll make a few passes and check coverage using the reflection of the light. I won't spray clear without one.

Give Dad a hug. You can't fail.

28. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

Been kinda a slow process but we gonna get there:D

Attached Files:

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Looking forward to seeing it. Cool to work with your Dad, have someone take pics of you two.

30. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Do it ,ain't nothin but a thang.It's how i learned,from the ole man