Register now to get rid of these ads!

buying a welder finally.. Whats your choice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Draggin wagon, Nov 5, 2011.

1. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I have the Miller 211. works great

2. gasser john

gasser john

Just to add a quick note,miller and hobart are great also, which ever you buy , i would go with a 220 volt machine, i have used them all and i believe the 110 volt 125 and 140 amp machines are too sensative, really touchy to use. i like the versatility of the 220 machines

3. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i just bought a new 212 miller, its a great welder all the way around. i have a 140 hobart i use for sheet metal its very good, i think the 187 would be a good all around machine, but if you can afford it buy a miller no matter what size you get, you wont be dissapointed. i have also had a lincoln and a century, no comparison.

4. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

5. You may as well have asked who made the best v8.

Buy brand name, and you'll be happy. Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, and ESAB all make good machines. There are some other quality American machines out there too, they are just smaller companies.

6. Congrats........ now get to welding damn-it !!! :D

7. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

8. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

just a little follow up on things (for anyone that cares or beginners thinkin about makin the move like i did)... Really got to play with my new miller 211 and cant say one thing bad about it... I know its not the cheapest of the bunch, but i considered it a investment and a good one at that...

9. Energy

Energy

10. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

11. whoareyou

whoareyou

12. gsport

gsport

glad to hear you're enjoying it... i'm like you, a beginner. i've had mine for about two years now, and no complaints at all... i actually use mine more on 110 than 220 too...

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the Hobart and it works fine. Be sure whatever rig you get that you also get a gas bottle, makes for cleaner welds than flux wire.

14. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

About 20 years ago I decided I had to have a wire welder. Place where I bought gas and rods had a Miller 90 on sale and it was all I could afford at the time with a mixed gas regulator and bottle of mixed gas. I have worked the dog piss out of that thing many times over and it just keeps on ticking. I can afford a better welder now but the dang thing just wont quit and will weld up to 1/4 inch which emcomposes about 95 percent of a light to medium duty auto. Never had to spend any money on it other than normal comsumables.

15. Willy301

Willy301

My welder contact told me that Miller bought out the welding equipment part of Hobart. Hobart continues to make industrial generators and lots of other equipment, but sold out their welding line.

He has never steered me wrong, and the autoset on the Miller had just come out when I bought my mig. He has always put me into Lincoln for welders and Miller for my plasma cutter. I would not be afraid of a miller welder, I learned on one. I recently bought my tig welder, also a lincoln, and it doubles as a stick welder, so I think I got all the bases covered. Good luck on your purchase, and enjoy the freedom of welding shit up when you want to, instead of asking friends to do it for you.

16. sbin

sbin

Esab migmaster 250 with an Aluminum spool gun

Old arc welder and oxy/acetylene torches