Register now to get rid of these ads!

WIW: '61 Pontiac 195?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OneRustedDodge, Sep 21, 2011.

1. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Hello HAMBers,

I'm looking at possibly picking up a '61 Pontiac 195 engine for a project, but I'd like to make sure it's worth something. I can get the engine complete for $200, although it will need a rebuild. Is there anything particular to look for on these engines? I'm new to Pontiacs and any advice is appreciated.

- Jon

2. Not going to get much cheaper than that in this day and age of high scrap prices.

The 194 is a 389 with one bank lopped off. About the biggest issue on these is the timing chain; they shake a lot, and have special vibration dampers on the chain to keep it in place. It should share some internal components with the 389/400 engines (pistons, rods, some bearings, head/valves). Cam and crank are probably going to be unobtanium.

I believe with some searching there is a tech thread here for these motors.

3. Different and, IMHO ugly. No aftermarket support. Also heavy when compared to other four bangers. I would pass. It is going to be a money pit.

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If it's a four barrel carb version, they're somewhat sought after by the early Tempest guys.

5. Moloko

Moloko

Hard to find parts for, but I've seen some NASTY ones that the sand draggers build. Some guy has a early Jeep with one. Has a blower, runs on alcohol.

Took some videos of it. A few of the things at this race has the Tempest 4cyl's in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG-Pa4Ik4Nk - Skip to 2:24

6. Vintage Warrior

Vintage Warrior
    from TX

If you passed on it let me know where it is.

7. Check 61-63 Tempest/Lemans thread on the PY forum for great info and help.
    Check you tube for 11sec. Tempest by Nunzi.
    Cams can be custom ground and I believe Scat will make a crank if needed. Edelbrock Heads fit and Modified torker intakes work well. It take more work than building a SBC.
    Dare to be different

8. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Saw this at Stoke's Ranch last year. It was in a model T build. He even used that odd rear trans-axel in it too.

Attached Files:

9. 1Bad67

1Bad67

Totally worthless. I'll take it off your hands :) Been wanting to build one for several years now. I have one Ram Air head sat aside just for it.

10. BJR

BJR

Plus you can do two 195 motors with one set of 389 custom valve covers.

11. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

As I remember the bolt pattern on the rear of the block is unique to this engine. No regular GM trans will bolt to this engine.

12. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Not true, Standard BOP bell housings will bolt right up. If you use a 61-63 bellhousing & flywheel you can use the stock starter. If a newer housing is used, a block starter mount will have to be fabricated.

13. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

If complete, pretty good price. Lots of power can be made with these motors. If built correctly, you can get many miles out of them. My daily driver has over 175K on it since the last overhaul. Not hard to get over 200HP out of one in street trim. Lots more if drivability is not a big issue. Depending on the block, I have seen some that were capable of going .120 over bore with ease. Just about anything Pontiac V8 can be used, rods, pistons, aftermarket heads, blown, turbo, all doable.