Register now to get rid of these ads!

GizzleHopper Innards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beep, Jan 28, 2012.

1. As requested, a few pics of the GH coming down.

Attached Files:

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Very Cool,

Thanks for the pics.

3. Brian, Are those the Jahns pistons? .100 if I remember right..?

I also noted just stock main caps?

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see ya, Brian.

What cha doin'?...Time for a refreshening of the monster MEL engine?

5. havi

havi

6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollll........................

7. Car was a hit for me @ Indy.

8. LOL, I'm curious as to no one asking what the copper lines are for in the valley area? A MEL magic trick

9. MistShift

MistShift

Beep... OK I'll bite, it's either extra oiling for the cam journal, or a still...*hic*

10. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

For running 95% nitro it looks pretty happy from what I could see. Funny how you can see the difference in the piston colors what cylinders were running a little fatter than the others (the rear). Is that just the way the supercharger is feeding it I take it?

Scot

11. Willy301

Willy301

How many passes on that engine, it looks pretty clean.

12. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

If I understand the car correctly it is strictly a cacklefest car, as in it doesn't make passes, justa lot of cool noise :D

Scot

13. She has only about five 300 to 500 foot burn outs plus about 300 cackles I would guess.

14. The copper tubes:
    As everyone knows that ever raced a MEL or an FE, but especially the MEL's. Oiling to the mains was not sufficient for heavy loads or heat. Thats why the FE's came out with the side oiler. No side oiler MEL was ever built.

We learned over the years how to change the oiling sydtem in several ways to increase the volume of oil to the mains & rods. Although we made many changes (see making a MEL live on the HAMB) this was one of them.

Since we don't use haydraulic lifeters, we use rollers, we don't need the oil pressure at those lifters. Slash will do fine. We plug the small galley leading from the main galley to the lifter galley. This stops the oil from gpoing to the lifters. But we still need oil to the top end We run those lines from the main galley to the hole leading to the rockers up stairs. That allows us to push oil up top. We then limit this by using jet in the head reducing volume to the rockers. You only need a ltiile in a drag car anyway. With that small change, you now put almost 1oo% of the oil direct to the mains and rods.