Register now to get rid of these ads!

halibrand V8 rear cover bearing removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31' A Bone, Jan 27, 2012.

1. 31' A Bone

31' A Bone
    from So Cal

I have done some look ups but can not find much on the cover bearings.
    I am trying to remove and replace the 2 bearings in the rear cover. I have read about heating the case but no info on the cover. since you can't get behind the bearing, heating it may not do much good unless they fall out. Before I screw up a nice Culver City cover can someone tell me the secrect...
    thanks,
    Bill

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

3. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Pack the bearing full of grease, even all in the "hole". Then take one of the spur gear shafts place it on top of the grease and give her a good smack with a far sized hammer. The pressurised grease will get behind the bearing and push it out.
    May have to do it once then add more grease and do it again.
    Worked for me.

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Heat the cover with a rosebud tip gently....then tap the cover and the bearing will fall out

5. VA T

VA T

Chubby's method works just fine.

6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

a lot of times loc-tite or some other bearing glue got used to hold them in.nothing was more fun than trying to hurry and change gears between the heat and feature and have the red hot cover bearing fall in the dirt!!!P.S.-a little heat and a slide hammer puller works good

7. 31' A Bone

31' A Bone
    from So Cal

Update: This morning I packed one of the bearings with grease trying to work it behind the bearing as much as I could and then topped off the center level with grease. I layed it on the floor with some rags under it and used the spur gear shaft and a 3 pound hammer. I gave it firm smack, then packed it again and repeated. no luck, it did'nt move.

I then wiped out as much grease as I could and heated the cover with a rosebud slowly. Grabed it with leather gloves and a rag and gently hit the cover on a peice of wood. The bearing that had residual grease fell right out. The other bearing took more heat and harder hits on the wood to get it to move and then slowly came out with firm hits on the wood.
    Maybe the grease helped it pop out easier. Maybe I was just too chicken to hit it "hard" with a 3 pound hammer and the grease method would have worked for me.

Thanks for the input guys!

8. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

I've found a regular oven is great for heating the cover or for the case when installing a pinion,takes about 4 days for the burnt 90 wt smell to leave the house.could be why I'm working on my 2nd divorce?