Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo rebuild books/threads/resources?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Meyer, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Meyer

Meyer

All,

I am building an AV8, along the lines of the Tardell/Bishop book.

I have a '40 rear, it was sitting for awhile, but appears to be in pretty good shape. I have it partially disassembled... backing plates are off, etc. Drums are salvageable within spec, outer bearings are a little pitted, but the surface on the bells looks good. Planning on all new brakes and whatever else it needs. It turns freely and seems to be ok.

I have some basic questions about how to proceed. If I replace the bearings, should I replace the races too? Should I tear into it completely, or throw some oil in and see how it goes?

If I tear it, I would need some kind of guide. There is tdog's thread below... are there any books out there? Other threads?

I have never setup a rear end before, but am pretty mechanically inclined and have full access to a full machine shop (partner in one :D )

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462776

2. rustynutz

rustynutz

Tech on banjo rebuild in the tech archives

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

For the official dope...overhaul for all three generations of banjo are covered in the service bulletins about so...I'm at work and don't have copies here for real citations:
    Model A type rear is in 1928, with minor updates in 1932 since B rear is same innards.
    Late 1932-34 rear is covered in 1933, the later type in 1938. Procedures of course very similar.
    If you have good original R&P setup is usually easy and most will be right with the standard thickness pair of gaskets. Current manufacture may take some work.
    Machine shop will be useful for creative presswork since you probably don't have a full set of nifty KRW pullers...
    Pinion depth was meant to be right via close manufacture with original parts, and of course carrier preload and then lash are set by sidegaskets...again, the parts were made to go together without fuss.
    Don't tap the boltholes in banjo casting...close tolerance so they don't leak. Just a gunbrush and some solvent there.

Pinion turning torque:
    12-16 inch pounds for '40 type. backlash 006-10, absolute max 012 1520 inch pounds foer A-B rear

4. Meyer

Meyer

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yep..passenger rear covered April 15, 1938

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

7. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

8. CDM

CDM

Just FYI, the December 2011 issue of Rod&Custom has a great tech article showing how to install 8 or 9 inch guts in a 40 banjo. Does not appear to be too difficult. Might be worth a look if you are going to rebuild anyway.

9. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Here you go boys......this should be helpful right out of the Ford Manual......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that helps.....

CB

bct and lodaddyo like this.
  10. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Meyer........send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you *the-rodster's* article........I used it to rebuild my banjo a few years ago and it was extremely helpful....

CB

11. 392_hemi

392_hemi

To measure the pinion torque I took a six spline coupler and found a deep socket that fit snug inside then pinned it in place. I use that with a 3/8 drive in/lb torque wrench.

12. Bilt

Bilt

13. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Should be a sticky, and excellent post.