Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Gasser Passer is back in Ohio !!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by careyohio, Jan 22, 2012.

1. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I can't see a differance?

Attached Files:

2. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

looking at photos seems the rearend is alot narrower than original, may just be wheels. it is tucked in now. still a super neat car GOOD LUCK

3. careyohio

careyohio

Looks the same to me also.

Attached Files:

4. The same friend told me about the car this past summer too. I chased it for a bit, even talked to the son about it. When I called back I was told that a friend of the family was interested in all the cars, so I backed away. Sides, I have too many projects now. I did, however talk to Ohio George about it for a good half hour. I can tell you this, he did not like this car. He said it was a very ill handling ride, kept him working the whole way down the track! Chop probably helped that. Leave it chopped if your gonna race it, un-chop it if display is its sole purpose, either way, nice to see it is going to be saved. See you guys this sunday?

5. careyohio

careyohio

See you guys this sunday?[/QUOTE]
    Yes, we'll be there.

6. careyohio

careyohio

CONFIRMED !!!

This is THE original "HURST'S GASSER PASSER"

7. Great find, and I hope you preserve it as a part of history.

8. careyohio

careyohio

Rob will be the "Caretaker" .........But , Drag racing " HISTORY " will now own it.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hi Carey,
    What a cool old car!!
    Its in good hands boys!!!
    Rick

10. 55chevr

55chevr

Great news ... just remember the evil handling part ...

Joe

11. Maybe that's why they flipped the axle on top of the springs, make it handle better ?

12. careyohio

careyohio

Might be the reason ....or just to lower it.
    It is the original axle that Ohio George built for it according to some
    magazine photos.

13. careyohio

careyohio

Anyone have , or know of, any of the original parts off this car ?

14. Great find guys! I remember the car as a youngster at Dragway 42. I'd leave the chop. Paint it in Ohio George's Gasser Passer colors with Hurst, etc. I kind of like the idea of priming the chop cut areas as if it was a fresh chop. After all, we changed cars as we went. That's my two cents. Can't wait to see it at Thompson! Aaron Dupont

15. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

[​IMG]

Are these hinges unique? Notice the magnet stuck on the tilt front end right where Ohio George said it would stick

16. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

17. GREAT find you guys..I look forward to seeing it at Thompson.

Rick

18. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

chopped or unchopped, glad to see it out, and you guys are gonna build it.
    still one of my favorite old gassers!

19. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep lets.......just go racing.........these cars are supposed to have scratches on them...........

20. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Nice save boys.............

Later,Bill

21. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

That car has been sitting in the same location 5 doors up from my mothers house. It was raced at the Wattsburg drag strip owned by my uncle under the Gold Getter name by a guy named Frank Minedaeo (SP?) and was very fast for the time.

Willard Collins was the most recent owner, and the car was driven by Pat Gooley. It seems like the car had all sorts of problems mechanically and never really did much.

I'm surprised to see it in the red primer. The last time I saw it it was black with red flames, but that was thirty years ago. Willard also had a 55 Nomad that was painted the same and was going to be the tow car. It ran a 413 wedge and 4 speed. It too was recently sold to a local guy in Erie.

There are several unique parts of this car that verify it's authenticity, most notably the parachute surround.

In my opinion, whatever thats worth, it needs to be un-chopped and restored back to the way it was regardless of what George "might" have done had he kept the car. After all, you wouldn't have changed the Big John Willys or Stone Woods & Cook cars.

Glad to see somebody finally rescued it from the dilapidated garage it had been sitting in for all those years.

22. careyohio

careyohio

Thanks for the reply. You have filled in some more of the history for us.
    Any more information you have would be very welcome.
    I talked to George and his son and they were happy to hear that it will be restored back to the way it was originally built and raced.
    We will also include as much of the history, after George sold it, as we can find in the final story.
    Carey

23. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

There is also a Thames panel that was raced by Hrudka Brothers sitting in a garage in the same town of Erie Pa. It's been owned by the same guy for 30 plus years and of course isn't for sale.

24. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

25. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Does Lucky still have it????

26. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

No, the one Lucky had was a 33 Willys which was also run by Hrudka. The one I'm talking about is a Thames and the back door is a 68 Camaro hood cut to fit the opening. As weird as that sounds, it really doesn't look that bad!

The guy that has it was going to put it on the street but as far as I can remember it never made it.

Now to make it a longer story, he actually sold it and quite a few years later he found it at a swap meet and bought it back, still titled in his name. To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't seen the light of day since.

27. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

That car is Killer ! What a great find .

28. 1930u

1930u
    from midwest

Excellent find.