Register now to get rid of these ads!

oil additive to stop smoke coming from road draft tube-help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasy53, Jan 26, 2012.

1. greasy53

greasy53

Any oil additives that actually work on calming down the smoke coming from road draft tube?

Thanks.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Probably not but I do see some additives at the parts store that claim to help with that. Worth a shot. I think Lucas makes one and they make some pretty good stuff.

Longterm solution is a rebuild, but why not try $ 10 to buy some time. It's easy for us to suggest you just do it right and rebuild it, but we all have budgets and schedules we can do these things by.

Don

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The "smoke" coming from the road draft tube is known as "blowby"....as the name implies, compression/combustion gasses are 'blowing by' the piston rings, primarily, and secondarily, the valve guides. What that means, when it is so excessive as to be seen as 'smoke', is that engine internal components are well worn and no longer able to seal adequately.

No elixir known to man can 'fix' that wear. There are no "Mechanics in a Can", though many a buck has been made by those selling such a claim to those who still believe in Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy and that they might actually win a large lottery!

The engine needs an overhaul.

Ray

4. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I had a Y block ford that smoked and leaked so much, I used to keep a pan under the draft tube in the driveway. When it got full enough I would pore it back in the engine. I tried the old STP in the blue can (before plastic bottles) and that slowed it down a little, but I finally got to the point of running damn near straight 80/90 gear lube in the thing. That slowed down the smoke some, I finally pulled it and tore it down, I did a cheapie re-ring on it, new rope seal in the rear main, and it was still running like a champ when I sold it awhile later :D
    I thought for sure the 80/90 would have whiped out the motor but I guess everything was so loose it didn't mind the thick stuff!

Scot

5. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

i think you got some good answers on your other thread. put a pcv system on the car if you cant afford a rebuild. even with an additive blowby is blowby and i imagine it will still come out. There is a few tech articles on it on here if you search

6. I used to use Casite Motor Honey when I either didn't have the time or the cash to rebuild an old beater. Was it a rebuild, absolutely not but it can get you buy for a bit until you can get the job done.

I know the tooth fairy, well at least a know a fairy with a full set of teeth. :D

This is correct anything that one may do to an engine in this condition is a stop gap measure at best.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm in agreement with P N Beaner, you have nothing to lose by trying some off the shelf product except a few bucks. We all remember (well, us older guys anyway) when we had to keep an old daily driver alive to get to work the next morning and we had very little money. Stuff like Motor Honey, STP, and others kept it going for just a bit more until we could save up to get a better car or fix that one.

No question the motor is telling you it is tired, but as long as it has oil pressure anything you can do to slow down the smoking will get a few more miles out of it.

Don

8. George

George

The crankcase needs to breath & it goes out the road draft tube, just matters if it is a little bit or if it looks like he's working for mosquito control.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Boys, I realize I came across as a bit of smart ass on my earlier reply....it's just my nature....

But, I am no stranger to being poor and having a worn old car that I had to depend on for daily use. In the very early 60's I traded my good running, but pulled from a barn yard, '41 Chevy two door even up for a much cooler '40 Ford Standard 2 door. Not a week later I got a job 45 miles from home and within the first week while on my way to work, the muffler fell off the '40, the u-joint was making bad noises etc. So, I traded for a sound looking '46 Ford humpback 4 door for $75 difference, paid @ $25 a week. Within the first week, the front spring on the '46 collapsed, but that was okay 'cause a California Rake was cool, but more importantly, I discovered it was using oil at a voracious rate. 2 quarts in each direction, to and from work. So, being on friendly terms with the garage operator where I bought my gas, I got permission to take all the drain oil I needed to keep the 'ol '46 going.

Each evening when I came in from work, I filled up with gas and filled my gallon jug with 'fresh' drain oil. That got me through the summer and then the cam lobe that operated the fuel pump went flat and the old Ford went to the junk yard.

So, sorry for the snarky parting shot in my post. I been there and done that and I need to remember that when replying to those who are there now.

Ray

10. Have you done a compression test yet ?
    If its not completely flat, the oil additive product "Restore" has bought me plenty of time.
    It works if the engine isn't too far gone.

11. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

I had an old timer tell me once "Ya know, you can't pour those rings in there" he was right!

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Haha, when I was about 18 I worked night shift at a gas station. Every night a guy would pull in and get 4 quarts of bulk oil at 10 cents a quart in his 53 Ford. It would last him until the next night.

I can still see him driving off in the distance with a cloud of smoke around the whole car. :D

Don

13. slammed

slammed

Geritol will help that old cranky feeling. At least that what the ad say's!

14. budd

budd

not in the oil but in the carb

Attached Files:

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Dang......Geritol bottle is, and has been, empty for awhile :eek:........how about I substitute a shot of Olde Rotgut ???? ;)

Ray

16. I haven't seen any mention of the mileage or general condition of this engine, but there seems to be some confusion over the symptoms. Vapors coming out of the draft tube are blowby, which is unburned fuel from the combustion chamber getting past the rings and down into the crankcase. Blue smoke out of the exhaust is kind of the opposite, oil from the crankcase getting past the rings or intake valve guides and up into the combustion chamber where it gets burned during ignition.

For an oil burner, something like STP or Motor Honey might temporarily reduce oil consumption. I wouldn't expect them to much help a blowby condition.

For blowby, the best you might hope for is that you've got some varnished, sticky piston rings. The only "miracle in a can" solution might be to add an oil detergent additive like Seafoam or Rislone and hope that it helps free up the stuck rings. I don't think I'd spend any other extra money on synthetic oil.

If the engine is otherwise mechanically sound I'd figure a way to rig up a proper PCV system and eliminate the road draft tube.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If the motor sat for a long time and the rings are stuck, an additive might help free them up. Most likely, they are worn out. Thicker oil, thick additives like STP and a pcv system are the only thing that will help short of a rebuild.

Have you checked your fuel pump to see if it's leaking gasoline into the crankcase? It should be fairly cheap to replace.

18. boldventure

boldventure

I had a high mileage Taurus V-6 that used more oil than I was happy about. I tried a product called Restore: http://www.restoreusa.com/ It did significantly reduce my oil consumption. You have to add it each time you change the oil. Most parts places carry it.

19. greasy53

greasy53

Thanks for the advice....I don't have the money right now for a rebuild so I will try the stop gap stuff and rig the pvc system...I will start saving for a rebuild now as the oldtimer who said "you can't pour rings in there" may be right on in my case...Thanks again..

20. Hummmm!

"Mechanic in a can".... I suppose next there'll be "Jennie in a bottle"!

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you are talking about an engine that sat awhile before you got it may have some stuck rings, try some 15W40 diesel oil with a can of Marvel Mystery Oil run it a while at least 1,000 miles change it out then new 15W40 and a can of Restore.The Marvel will free the stuck rings and loosen the gunk,you want the engine clean before adding Restore or you might try this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfSEBFvC11Q&feature=related

22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the rings are gummed up you might try atf down the carb. Smokes like hell and will try to kill the motor but I have used it in the past to free up rings if that is the problem. Also, any chance it might be a hole in a piston? I had an old Chevy 6 with a hole in the piston that pumped smoke out the dip stick tube that entered the pan via the hole. Just a thought.

23. boldventure

boldventure

Maybe but; back in Rochester, NY you can have Genny in bottles or cans: http://www.geneseebeer.com/

24. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I think from the answers you received from your thread started yesterday, and the thread you started today, is that you need to rebuild yer' engine.

25. threeston

threeston

reminds me of my girlfriend. (she smokes a lot and bitches about rings.) but thats a whole nother can of oil.

26. sbin

sbin

If your girlfriend smokes after sex you might want to slow down and use some lube next time.

[QUO:pTE=threeston;7388534]reminds me of my girlfriend. (she smokes a lot and bitches about rings.) but thats a whole nother can of oil.[/QUOTE]

27. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

IDK how much smoke you are talking about, but my 55 Lincoln passed a little smoke out the oil cap, and was leaking a little oil out the draft tube (I think mainly due to the poor design of the draft tube).

Well to me, the drip from the draft tube was irritating, and I wasn't digging the smell of the smoke in the car, so I made a block off plate for the draft tube, and hooked a "metered" (I made an 1/8th" orifice to meter the vac) vac hose to the oil fill cap. This fixed both of my issues.

Worn motor? Maybe some, but I had recently re-ringed the motor and everything measured out ok. It requires NO oil between changes, (5,000 miles or so) the plugs run clean, clean, clean, and the car runs great).

So, did I ask how much smoke? :D

28. My little brother had an AD truck that he dearly loved, still had the original engine in it. It finally got so bad that at a traffic light you literally couldn't see the other side of the intersection.

he didn't have two nickles to rub together and I was trying to raise money to get back on the road but I finally dipped into my emergency fund to overhaul it. It kept me in town an extra month and I ended up crossing the rockies in the snow but it was worth it to see driving instead of killing mosquitos.

29. Oh yea!

I remember the Creamer Screamers!