Register now to get rid of these ads!

Very little legroom so where to put the headlight dimmer switch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Max Gearhead, Jan 19, 2012.

1. " Now with clap detection lights ", help save you from getting those pesky penicilin shots..................

2. theres a fighter joy stick shifter up for sale here 2day.. get that and use the gun switch for the dimmer

3. Loppy

Loppy

Whatever switch you decide on, integrated it into the dash as a design element. Fab up and attach an emblem or knob as a floating cover. It'll blend right in. An idea I've been knocking around to use someday as a hidden keyless start button.

4. Thanks for the great ideas.:cool:

5. Max, see the pic in #32, now just turn it 90 degrees, this is how I mount mine. Makes it real easy to push with just your thumb and you can bearly see it at all. Put it so the pigtail faces up and no wires will be visable too, TR

6. jimbousman

jimbousman

The first one I did was on the gear shift. I used a high-low switch from a motorcycle. For the second one I used the stock Model A steering column and modified the throttle lever for high-low beams (the spark lever is the turn indicator)

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Use a VW bug headlight relay, then you only need a spring loaded push button switch with one wire to ground. every time you push the button it switches up or down. I have the part# somewhere I will post it If any interest.

Ago

8. 26 roadster

26 roadster

good one ago, I had forgotten about that. cool little gizmo and only needs a tiny switch.

9. Any way to copy the way GM and others did it on late model columns, where you could pull back on the turn signal switch and it pulled a rod in the column that worked a switch down under the dash? I wouldn't run a big ugly GM column to get one, but I bet you could run a 50s GM column with a shifter on it and use that for the high beam switch - and mess with people's minds wondering why you have two shifters.

10. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

VW beetle headlight relay# part no. 111- 941 -583 Beetle and Karmann Ghia 67-71

Ago

11. Thanks much Ago!:cool:

12. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

VW beetle headlight relay part # Standard LR35 relay.

Ago

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I mounted it under the dash on my '31 PU

14. stumpy142

stumpy142

I put mine on my shifter pedestal,also have my line lock just beside it.

Stumpy142

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

Wire the light switch to the low beam wire a toggle switch to the high beam that way you get really bright high beams both are on.

16. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Ditto on the double throw works well for me. :D:D

17. 4t7flat

4t7flat

On my 27 T,the standard foot switch is mounted just under the edge of the dash on the left. Its very convient,and few people notice it. I rarely drive it at night. Now that I think about it ,I think I will move the floor switch on my 32 as well,its nearly impossible to use,where it is.

18. Thanks for all the great info.:cool: