Register now to get rid of these ads!

positraction or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miky2001, Jan 26, 2012.

1. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

Does this rear end look like a positraction unit ?
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I know nothing about this so I hope someone can tell me.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Its supposed to be from an S10 4x4 rear end. It has the 3.73 ratio, at least the pinion gear had 11:-41 GM stamped into it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

The dreaded Gov-Lok. It's a speed activated clutch type limited slip differential

3. gtkane

gtkane

What he said.

It only locks up at low speed.(trash!)

4. Absolutley the GM gov-lok. It may not even work-to many moving parts. Not worth rebuilding. When it is broken it will run as an open diff. If you want more traction there are plenty of better choices out there.

5. Jim is correct. The build sheet will have a G80 code. Ratio is yes 3.73:1 or 3.72727272:1 TR

6. The gov-lock activates only when one axle is spinning about 100 Rpms faster that the other. Great for a 4x4 on a muddy or snowy road. But by the time it stars working you are in a lost traction situation.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The one in my '97 S-10 works fine, but I don't think I'd care to put one in a rod. They don't take a lot of torture before failing.

8. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

look what i found when i cleaned out the old oil.
    what could this be? its about 1 inch long and 1/4" diameter. all chewed up. i guess something broke?

i havent run this rear end yet, so maybe i should just get a new one?

whats a good rear end for a 50 chevy car? everyone told me to get this s10 4x4 with the 3.73 ratio.

it fits real nice. i am running a 292 straight six and i plan to just cruise along, maybe once in a while give it some juice but mainly just cruising.

i am tired of buying broken shit so where could i get a GOOD rear end?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  9. squirrel

squirrel

picture?

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That looks like what's left of the bolt that holds the spider gear cross shaft in place. If your cross shaft still has a bolt in it, then it's from a previous mishap.

11. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

well shit that cant be good. wish i had looked into thois before i put the rear end into the car and ran the brake lines etc.

i will check if the bolt is still there. if it gone i would assume the threaded part is still in there and that i would have to take the whole damn thing apart?