Register now to get rid of these ads!

I bought a 61 Ford Ranch Wagon...Now What?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWFOMOCO, Jan 24, 2012.

1. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been looking for a 61 Ford Wagon for quite a while...Either they were too expensive or half way around the world...Needless to say I am very excited about finally getting one.

It lived in Arizona for the majority of it's life so and appears to be very solid. It was originally a 292 / 3spd on the column car but that was sold before I got it....It is a factory A/C car....by PolarAir...very neat piece.

I plan on building this thing so I can drive it long distances without any trouble....I want to be able to cruise at 80 mph all day long....That is where I am stuck...What would you fellas do? I am planning on going back all Ford and was thinking 289/302/351 with a 5 speed or an AOD...Should I go FE / 4 speed? For some reason I think I want to have a straight drive in this car...Maybe because it was one from the factory...

I don't know which way I will go...What would you do?

Other plans are power brakes, lowered, with steel wheels and dog dish caps...Going to keep it very simple...Let me know what you think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I would run a healthy 302 with an aod. I hace had a couple 351's and even in a heavier vechicle I am always happier w a 302- If you want a 289 I have a 289 crank and rods. . . . Stuff that in a 302 block and you got a 289! BTW I have a 289 in a 56 ford mainline with an aod and it is plenty of power to cruise at 80...
    Of course a t-5 would be nice - You won't regret an overdrive. Oh and cool wagon!

3. Willy301

Willy301

I am a fsn of the 351 Winsor, but a 302 is a nice compromise. While both will do what you want, I think the 351 would have a little more in reserve if you should need to power out of a problem with todays stupid drivers. Looks like a really cool project, no matter which one you put in it though.

4. You can't go woring with a 302.......

5. skoh73

skoh73

Sharp wagon! PM me if you want me to photoshop it for ya.

6. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Put in an old inline and have fun. I like the wagon, it's a great looking model and year.

Nice find!
    Butch

7. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Photoshop a chop on that beast, I bet it would look killer.

Butch

8. I like the pre 65 Ford stuff and currently have more than 1. I'll soon be starting right about where you are again with a 57 Ranch Wagon. From my experiance with them all my choice will be the Fuel injected 5.0 and A.O.D. I see driving Crown Vick's often under 1K. Yo can't beet that for a complete drive train. It will cruze 80 mph all day and give you 22 mpg. Not Bad.
    The Wizzard

9. JEM

JEM

Questions like that get me into trouble.

If I were looking for adequate HP, first-rate driveability, and a manual, what would I do?

A GM LS3 and T56? *ducks*

A '94-later (F4TE) 351W from an F150 (make sure it's a roller-cam block), E303 cam (there might be better, but the E303 works), a set of iron GT40 heads, EFI, Fox bellhousing, 28oz flywheel, and some sort of hydraulic clutch arrangement, 2.95-first Z-code T5, and a 3.50 Truetrac rearend. Shifter location likely a problem with that transmission if you intend to keep the bench, though, either need a kitbashed forward-shifter T5 or a TKO/3550. Someone will be along to recommend an M5R2 transmission out of an F150 any moment now and it might not be a bad idea (shifter location should be better for a bench and I think it's stronger than the T5 but I have no personal experience with 'em.)

The '96-97 Exploders and Mountaineers had the best 5.0 Ford ever put in a production vehicle, with the iron GT40 heads (97.5-01 had the GT40P heads, much thinner range of exhaust options), GT40 intake, and far and away the best accessory drive ever used on a Windsor. Whether you want the whole engine or just the heads, FEAD, and upper intake to stick on a 351 (that upper needs the 351W '95 Cobra R lower, which may take a little looknig or just find a used Edelbrock Performer EFI w/351 lower) They're an EDIS/EEC-V motor, though, so running a carb or earlier EEC-IV means some back-dating. Helped a friend grab one at the pick-n-pull on half-price day, got out with the whole thing (including EEC, they were remarkably unobservant that day) for $150+taxes, engine was pretty tired but even so it was a steal, you could sell the intake alone for more than that.

Though I do have a soft spot for FEs, and the early Galaxie wagons are about 47/53% rear weight biased so it makes no sense to think about taking weight off the nose.

I'd try some '99-02 Crown Vic cop-car 16x7 wheels and 225/60-16 tires. Then you can run later Galaxie/LTD spindles and 12in brakes, not futz around with little 10in Granada or 11in Torino/Thunderbird discs and there's much better tire choices in 225/60-16 than any 14 or 15in size.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  10. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

302/T5, brake upgrade.

11. scotts52

scotts52

Nice Wagon, Got one myself. I haven't done much with mine since picking it up last summer. Got it cheap, but there is a bit of rust repair needed. Looking forward to seeing progress.

12. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on...I have a 289 out of a 65 Fairlane that needs to be rebuilt as well as an AOD out of a Mustang...The car weighs 4000lbs according to the title and I just wasn't sure if the 289 would have enough balls without building the crap out of it...A 5 speed sure would be fun tho...

13. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't say that....I am always looking for a COE...Just like I have been looking for a 61 wagon....I still have my eye on a 52 F-8 Big Job....waiting for the right price...

14. Nice wagon!

I like the 302/5 speed set up,,that's exactly what I used in our Ranch Wagon,,

The car was originally 6 cylinder 3 on the tree and like you I wanted to keep it straight drive and we all want more power and reliability.HRP

15. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on...

Beautiful wagon by the way...

16. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JEM, lots of good info thanks...

17. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Jepp, 302 and 5speed would be my choice too, they can be found dirt cheap compared to what you'll get.

18. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

If you would like a real deal on a good engine for a big ole ride scope out wrecked Ford pick ups. 400M, 300 six, 351W, all came in the trucks with 5 speeds. Any one of these should do you proud.

19. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a side shot....Photochop that muther!!!!

Feel free to cut out the little white glove that just had to be in the picture....

[​IMG]

20. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

looks very cool.

21. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

hell my 64 F-100 292 with a 3 speed and 3.73 gear will cruise at 75 all day long.. But its not 80...lol Killer wagon.. Always loved those.... Good luck with it!

22. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Did you get it from ebay? I was looking at a similar one and day dreaming a couple of days ago...
    In my 63 Galaxie I have an AOD (with an expensive conversion kit) behind my FE, not the most traditional setup but it works for my needs.

If I would have bought this wagon it would have probably gotten a 352 and cruis-o-matic but that's just because I have a spare setup in the garage.

have fun with it!

23. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

Nice wagon, it sounds like your plans are similiar to mine.

When I originally purchased my wagon I was considering the 302/AOD combo. However, the more I drive the 223 straight six with 3 on the tree, the more I enjoy it and reconsider my original plan.

If you do go with an AOD look for years 89-92. By '89 they had implemented a lot of improvements. In 1993 they implemented electronic controls.

24. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually the car was on ebay....2 weeks ago.....very long story....I have been trying to buy this car for 4 months.....It was a very painful deal and I thought I would never end up with the car. I am glad it is over...

I hear ya on the FE...I want to keep this thing as simple and reliable as possible...

25. outlaw256

outlaw256

nice wagon.ive got the one in my avatar. 383 stroker. built 350 trans 411 rear.drinks gas as bad as i used to drink whiskey.lol. i cant afford to drive it far but when i do drive it i can get were im going pretty damn fast.lol i have been thinking about building it more for cruisin the hiway so im kinda interested in what the hamb boys recommend for you.

26. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I've got a Mercury wagon with a 390 / C6. It has a 2.75 rear end and it works great on the freeway, but man it drinks the gas. I'm sure any engine other than an FE would get better mileage, but this combo is pretty easy and so many cars came with that combo parts are easy to get.

27. You can't go wrong with a 302/AOD. They're plentiful and by some act of fate, they sit right down in these y-block era full-size Fords like they were designed to be there.

You can find good running LTD/Crown Vic/Marquis/F150/Town Car/Etc donor cars for just a few hundred dollars if you look in the right places. Buy the whole car and you have everything you need.

If you do go that route, contact HAMBer JeffB2. He'll tell you what parts to buy and has a ton of knowledge that will make the swap a breeze. I know this from personal experience.

28. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

Just FYI - The '65 Fairlane 289 won't bolt up to the AOD - I believe 1965 was the last year for the 5-bolt bellhousing (used on 221, 260 and early 289 V8's) and in 1966 Ford switched to the 6-bolt bellhousing (used on later 289, 302 and 351W V8's). Just double-check before you have them rebuilt...

Anyways I love your '61 Ranch wagon, they have some great lines on them. I'm on the lookout for a grille and middle grille bar for a project, just in case anyone has a nice extra! :D

Thanks!
    Tom - Glass_Packs

29. nailz

nailz
    from San Diego

Great score! Pics of my 62 Squire in my album. Having a wagon has been alot of fun, its the Ultimate Tailgate Machine. Good luck on your build!

30. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh huh...yeah...nice pair of Galaxies. I actually put a deposit on a 62 2 dr hard top and then I found this wagon. Looking forward to having the pair. Your wagon is sick....