Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saving a 32 Ford Body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcnut223, Dec 11, 2011.

1. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

2. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

the front of the qtr window is the front window post from a 32 ford tudor sedan. It was rusty but repairable. Here's a few pictures of part of the repair.

Attached Files:

3. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

subscribed. Keep up the good work!!

4. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I was fortunate enough to find a gentleman that was replacing the roof on 2 door sedan and purchase the cuthoffs fom the door posts from him. these are very close to the coupes window opening at the front. Close enough that they can be modified to fit.

Here's what I did to get the front of the qtr together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  5. fitzee

fitzee

great job.. the key to cars like this is one small project at a time.. all these small rust repairs will all come togeather and you will have one fine car on your hands..I am enjoying this.keep up the good work.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work and it looks like it is coming together. I can't see getting hung up on "resale" value because the title says one thing or the other as long as the title is clear and there are no hassles with it in the future. That may be because I just don't get hung up on resale value when I am building a project unless I am building it specifically to sell. If it's that big an issue maybe it's time to get a stock 32 frame for it so it will be able to have a "real 32" title instead of a "reproduction" title. Guys in other states would be happy just to get a title at all.

7. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Mr48Chev maybe your the voice of reason I needed....Thanks

I originally was thrilled when I hung up the phone last Friday with the fact I could get the thing titled.

It was only later I got hung up with the value thing/replica thing.

I will be 52 on wednesday, building these damn things is getting to be a more chore than the pleasure it one was, (maybe part physical and part the fact that I am getting too anal about the results).

I think I need to just say wtf and build the car. I don't plan on selling this one, something I have done on every other car i've built for the last 30 years. The 32 is the one car I have wanted since I was 18.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  8. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Time for a update

Here's a picture of the stand I built to hold the back of the car. Made from conduit, it is hieght adjustable. I can slide things forward and aft and raise it to match the front of the car.

Attached Files:

9. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I have tacked the pieces I repaired together to get a feel for how everything is going to fit.

Attached Files:

10. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

The area at the lower right corner is really "soft". It's pitted and thin.

I have a section form a 2 door that matches the curve and I spliced it in.

Everything looks like it went really smooth, but truth is the window opeing changed when I cut the area out. Turns out most of this occured because of how I was holding the back secction of the quarter.

Overcoming this took alot of #@&% time.

Attached Files:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great progress. You keep pulling bits and pieces from other bodies, is there a spair parts pile, if so a photo would be nice to see.

12. F&J

F&J

It will pay off....and, you will forget that particular frustration in a week or so. :)

Keep the updates coming, no matter how insignificant it seems.

13. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I have a few parts obtained with the purchase of a back window for a sedan, the lowere portions of the window opening and the front edges of the quarter panels. Unreal in that I was traveling to Dallas (i'm from Wi) and a hamber was selling a few pieces and we met and a deal was struck.

I spent the rest of evening boxing everything in a motel room and shipped it hoime the next day before leaving for the airport.

I've traded members a few of those pieces and sold a couple of the extras.

It's been really amazing how when I have needed something for this project they seem to become available. All through hamb and the great people on here.

I'll give everyone an update on a trade I made for key part in a few days.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  14. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

That's an aftermarket frame? It looks like a real one in the pics but if it is a repop, you could try to find a real '32 junk LH frame rail, the numbers should still on it and run the VIN with the DMV to see if it's clear and then cut the vin out and weld it into your frame rail in the correct location.

Either that or buy a title and stamp the digits in the frame and hope the inspector doesn't catch that the stamped numbers are not factory. But since that's not legal, you didn't hear it from me!

15. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

man keep it up. its so cool to save a deuce. its honing your skills and you have a deuce to show for it.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure your aware that United Pacific (the producer of the steel '32 5w body) has drip rails available as separate pieces. I see them on Ebay from time to time.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. I'm subscribing.

18. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

thats what i call built not bought!!! i love when people build hot rods in there home garage... keep up the good work..

19. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Early on I had the original frame under the car, I have a j&W repo frame on it now.

I'll post pictures of the old frame tomorrow and theres a story behind that.

20. fitzee

fitzee

Oh seeing this makes me want to start mine.. this is getting good.. keep it up.

21. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

You really wanted a 32! I am not talking about the metalwork although you have taken on quite a task there, it's the distance you drove to get the parts!. I cant imagine driving that far. I suppose being in the UK we simply don't have that far to drive!

David

22. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

outstanding

23. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

outstanding build,wow

24. Cruiser

Cruiser

Congradutions on your '32, I can see you have the will power and skill to pull this puzzle off. With your boys help you'll get the job done and have a cool hot rod. Good luck.............:D

CRUISER :cool:

25. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

thought i would show some shot's of the drip rail replacement process.

Attached Files:

26. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

I would love to have this kind of talent :D

27. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I never cease to be amazed by the talent that is displayed on the HAMB... Keep up the good work!!!

28. BIGDUB

BIGDUB
    from TEXAS

Looks better than the last car i built

29. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

We now the real fun begins I test fitted the old quater panel for the first time. Man do vise grips come in handy.

You can see a panel that I wheeled leaning on the side of the body. I will use this toward the bottom of the quarter. It's just too rough to save all of it .

Attached Files:

30. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Here' the process I used to make the panel to connect the old race car quarter to the roof and quarter window.

I began by making a pattern of the curve from the right side , reversing it and tracing it on flat 18 guage sheet.

I bead rolled the crease and rolled the entire panel. I't still got a long way to go , the crease is correct but the shape is not right yet.

Attached Files: