Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Spirit of South Dakota LSR lakester/rear enigine roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Yes!

2. Nice looking axle! Looks like you're making some real progress. What are you going to do for radius rods? Hairpin style? Let me know - I'm going to be making some for my 34, might just be able to make an extra set.

Dale

3. 144" was the target but it will gain a few inches due to tranny length and #10 of crap in a #5 box

Since it is rigid I am going with some DOM locators hidden behind the axle. Real simple tubes.

The pictures make the axle look REALLY wide but it only 43" kingpin to kingpin.

4. Looking for ideas on how to mount the axle to the frame. Have a couple valid ideas sketched up. Would like to be able to adjust caster and it needs to be STOUT!

5. I have an idea.

If you have been "approved" on my website, check in. If I get a few minutes to draw up the solution I will. Otherwise you will have to call me.

6. I'll call you Steve, I will need some parts plasma'd either way.

7. Rear helmet tubes cut and fit, first one is tacked. HUGE milestone!

[​IMG]

Spent most of the night sanding tube junctions so we have clean metal and good welds.

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Sure would be cool if SOMEONE would build one of these that the FlatCad would fit in!;):D

9. Send me some dimensions;) We can make anything fit.

10. 383stroker

383stroker
    from Roscoe, SD

i love the name you chose for your car

11. It is the least I could do for our great state. Goes back to seeing Jimmy Stewart play Lindberg and the Spirit of Saint Louis when I was a kid.

12. latest update Trent?

13. Should have the helmet bars all tacked in this weekend. One is fighting me, seems every time I cut it it ends up too short!?:eek::eek:

ElP is working on the front axle mount and I am off to the steel yard to buy more goodies to mount the rear axle.

Seriously looked at firesuits again last night. Undecided about a 15 over a heavier 20. -15 is legal for me and I plan on fire suppresant overkill anyway.

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Your car is looking Great , Tim Jones

15. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Seriously looked at firesuits again last night. Undecided about a 15 over a heavier 20. -15 is legal for me and I plan on fire suppresant overkill anyway.[/QUOTE]

Check and compare various brands of the 2 ratings in person if you can. Bulk and ease of movement in them can vary due to different materials and methods of construction. Some -20's are not that much worse for comfort than some -15's, some are very much so. Check the SFI specs, IIRC a -15 only gives 2/3 the protection time of -20, both measured in seconds.... The requirements are just minimums.

Ed

16. Check and compare various brands of the 2 ratings in person if you can. Bulk and ease of movement in them can vary due to different materials and methods of construction. Some -20's are not that much worse for comfort than some -15's, some are very much so. Check the SFI specs, IIRC a -15 only gives 2/3 the protection time of -20, both measured in seconds.... The requirements are just minimums.

Ed[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ed, looking all of that. Right now there are several suits I am looking at.

17. Don't know a ton about fiberglass but I know Beeswax is one of the best shop supplies ever. Use it on my concrete countertops, as thread locker, metal sealant and now................Mold Release! Hope to have the nose layed up in a few days!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The foam plug is now 13 months old, has 15 pounds of drywall mud on it and I sealed it up with every last half-empty can of spraypaint I owned. Good way to clean out all of that stuff! I had cans of spraypaint my DAD bought 25 years ago!!!!!!!!!:eek:

18. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Hey TMAN ! How is the Spirit coming along ? Thaty nose is sure eating up some materials. Info for you. On my Modified I am using a Corvair steering box ! My build also used one on the "T" Touring he is building. It will be set as cowl steering. Price is right - I had the Corvair box all ready. Seems to be a simple set up in the "T". My "A" Modified has some more room. Hope you check my build thread on my Modified.

Dave

19. Thanks, we have an older prototype rack that Fab32 sent us last winter.

20. May I ask what the iron is for?

21. Old trick from prepping skis for folks. You melt the wax with the iron and spread it with a low heat. Basically like spreading lead in a different way.

22. Makes momma real happy when you return Iron.........

23. This one is the permanent "shop iron";). Working wax into concrete countertops is a little rough on them.

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I have a couple of dedicated shop irons from doing aircraft fabric work, the small "model aircraft" style are good for getting into tight spots, but my favorite is an old GE that holds temperature very well and has seen many hours of use.

25. Well, got the last rear helmet tube fitted! Darn thing fought me all the way! Started on the side bars, one tube at a time. And the Brown Santa brought me my first pice of safety gear!!!!! Some sexy Piloti driving shoes! Fine corinthian Leather! ;)

[​IMG]

26. Dyce

Dyce

Looking good Trent!!

27. I SWEAR, I will not take a picture of every freakin tube! But, the cage is getting closer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Damn Trent, quit working so hard, your making the rest of us look bad ;) THAT IS GOING TO RULE!

29. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

The car is looking great! I can't wait to see it out on the salt.

Mike

30. Tweaked that last tube I pictured tonight, moving ahead on the secondary tubes. Call into ISP, playing phonetag, my fault not theirs. Same helmet restraint John Force, Poteet and Main as well as other use. I am a pricey bitch!