Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Royboy's Coverage of the 2012 Starbird-Devlin Car Show in Wichita, KS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travisfromkansas, Jan 23, 2012.

1. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I was lucky enough to be able to spend most of the weekend with friends and hotrod/kustom family at the Century II hall in Wichita for the 2012 Starbird-Devlin Car Show.

I don't have much time right now so I'll skip the stories and just show you some pics, of course we start off with the Mulvane Marauders and our own Yblock292's 29 Roadster, but that's just because they were parked about 20 feet inside the door.

[​IMG]

Then Fuddpuckers Chrysler "The Tiki Taxi"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we skip ahead a bit to Gene Weaver's beautiful 54 Chevrolet. There are a bunch more photos of the show of cars that aren't H.A.M.B. friendly so just click any of these photos to see the whole gallery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it's on to one of my favorite Caddy's in the Wichita area.

[​IMG]

Respect
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love this flatty powered ride

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't attend the awards but I know I heard this one was announced over the P.A.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll need to get some more shots of this 53 Chevy Gasser with the straight 6 this year, hoping to do a full feature for it when I revamp my site.
    [​IMG]

Doug Reed's gorgeous 49 Olds "Toad"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a Plymouth that I hope to be featuring soon as well.
    [​IMG]

Pure beauty right here
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay that's it for right now I have to head back to the day job, hope you dig 'em and thanks for checking them out!

2. billys54

billys54

3. Luckyred53

Luckyred53

thanks for the pic's real nice ....................

4. Nice shots Travis. Thanks!

5. Dads-53

Dads-53

Thanks Travis. Don't know if it was that you hit it at the right time or what but didn't look to busy or you did a good job of keeping the crowd out of your shots. Dad

6. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Excellent pics Travis! Thanks for taking the time to share 'em with us!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  7. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks guys, it was busy all day on Saturday, I was just there for 10 hours and picked and chose the shots carefully in regards to the crowd. I think they pulled some very good numbers spectator wise.

8. 49toad

49toad

Good coverage Travis. I hope every one had as good as time my family had over the weekend. It was great to see all the families there this year.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very Kool - Thanks

10. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Part 2 of the coverage starts off with this kool little 50 Ford SW... I didn't take enough shots of it... sorry.
    [​IMG]

Ed Pogue's beautiful 47 Ford had me staring for awhile
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the Devlin family's rides
    [​IMG]

This one might be familiar to some of you.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another of the Devlin's rides
    [​IMG]

Mike Buchanan's FED
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The World Famous Doc Parsons' 23 Ford
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Butch M's 56 Chevy
    [​IMG]

This is for sale
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a couple from the balcony
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may make a panorama but in case I don't you can at least see this room from that angle.

11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

very good job Trav

12. Thanks for the pics! It looks like there were some nice cars there.

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

that looks like a first class event. The 47' has it right

14. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

1 maybe 2 more posts coming, thanks for the compliments folks. I think this can return to a great show again, and I think the current owners can make that happen. Just to goof off I did a time lapse movie of the trip from my house to the event and I'm messing with it now as the rest of the video is transferring to my computer.

15. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Part 3!

In addition to the kool kustoms and hot rods there was a nice gathering of bikes.
    [​IMG]

This 1955 Olds was new to me
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roger Morrison brought this beautiful 32 out that's been at Pebble Beach before...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first name of this show is still Starbird, Darryl brought up the Predicta, I always loved this car. Hub Harness was telling me how everyone told Darryl that he couldn't drive this car so he took it down the strip. The steering is controlled by a lever in the center console, push forward to turn one way, pull back to turn another. Darryl told Hub that it was scary but he made the run.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for going along with me to the 2012 Starbird-Devlin Car Show! This is just the first event of 2012 there are 18 more on my schedule for this year, last year I hit 35 total so I'm sure that 18 will grow before long.

Click any of the photos to go to the whole gallery and see a total of 236 photos and some videos that I'm currently working on.

Thanks again, see you at a show

Travis

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Travis, was good to see you again and thanx for including my Caddy in your coverage...

Had a great time over the weekend...I'd heard from Tom Devlin that their numbers were up for the weekend so that's good...the show can be great if everyone will pitch in, especially when all the profits of the show go to charities (3 of them). Of course, no matter what the new owners do, they are never going to please 100% of those that either enter their cars, or simply pay an admission to walk the show, it's just not possible.

Would I return and show another car...??? Absolutely.

R-

17. yblock292

yblock292

Great job travis, was good seeing ya saturday. Was by far a very good show and very well done!

18. Great photos Travis. Some really cool cars.
    Later,
    Dick

19. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

Thank you for posting the pictures.

20. BCR

BCR

Thanks for posting, didn't make it this year.

21. 51MercSuicide

51MercSuicide
    from Kansas

Nice shots Travis! I heard attendance was way up this year. Thought it was a good show. Respect

22. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Hey great pics good way to start my morning thx Andy

23. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

You're welcome folks! I finally got all of the video in the computer last night, so hopefully starting tonight I may be able to get some video clips up too.

24. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

"The first name of this show is still Starbird, Darryl brought up the Predicta, I always loved this car. Hub Harness was telling me how everyone told Darryl that he couldn't drive this car so he took it down the strip. The steering is controlled by a lever in the center console, push forward to turn one way, pull back to turn another. Darryl told Hub that it was scary but he made the run."

Travis !

Great pix, Amigo !

Here is Darryl's Interview where he explains about driving the "PREDICTA" at the NHRA Nationals...and what Don Garlits said about Darryl's stick-steering...this is the link: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage90.html

All the best !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

25. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Awesome Jonnie, thanks!

26. Butch M

Butch M

Great job Travis it was good to see ya.......

27. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks, Always good to visit with you Butch!

28. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Nice stuff Travis!:D

29. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks Dan!

Here's some video from the show.

Thanks go out to Pushrod who's given me the okay to use their music on stuff like this, I need to find some more bands though so if anyone knows of a band that has some cool music that would work on this type of video let me know!

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="192" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1687193666_fRTHnPF?width=425&height=192"></iframe>​

30. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I'm going to attempt this weekend to put together an ebook and see if I can get it in the Apple Store featuring this show. If it's easy enough I may do it for each show, and sell them for $.99 each... Gotta cover the cost of some new video equipment some how!