Register now to get rid of these ads!

THICKSTUN HEADS, cast iron and aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FlatheadRoadster, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I'd love to find TRJ 8 for that article, but I'm sure since it's an early one, it will be sky high.

2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

To the person with the second set of cast iron heads....Congrats & I have been to Speedy Bills place & I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have a set. I have mine hidden/buried & I will try to get them out this weekend for a couple of shots of them.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ.

3. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Chris: Thank you for the info! Right now we got the only two set known!
    I would be glad if you can send me pics to show here on this thread.

There is a different in our heads. Your heads looks like it has the Los Angeles logo, mine doesnt.
    Maybe my set is the first he made, and then change his mind about having the Los Angeles logo. Made yours and them cast the rest in aluminum?? who knows!?

4. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

More info about the thickstun cast iron heads??? Anyone?

5. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Front and backside of thickstun heads. I messure the the heads today, it look like the aluminum heads are 1mm deeper then the cast iron, might be better compression with the cast iron!?
    Maybe I should put them on my roadsters engine and test them.

Attached Files:

6. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Flathead Roadster,

I sent you a PM. I have been out of the country and have not been able to join this discussion until now. Yours and Sodbuster are the only two sets of cast iron Thickstun heads that I am aware. I have photos of Thickstun alluminum heads with fins, and have been made aware of a set of similar Tattersfield heads in Bronze. My guess is less than 10 sets where ever made.

Remember that Kogel tried cast iron heads and they almost allways cracked.

I have always had water problems with the Thickstun heads and I ran a set on my 40 coupe for years. The lower water holes are almost inside the cylinders if you overbore, especially when you use large bore gaskets. I was lucky to find a set of gaskets for a 3 5/16 bore, as they are almost all 3 3/8.

Jay

7. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Jay
    Do you have pics of the thickstun heads with fins? Do you want to show them here on this thread?? Also nice if you have pics of the tattersfield heads in bronze. I saw them when they where for sale on ebay, to bad I didnt have the money then..

I run my aluminum heads a few yeas ago but I blew a gasket so I used the original heads instead. I will try my cast iron thickstun heads for next season.

/Martin

8. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Sodbuster: Chris , what happend?? did you forgot to take pics of your cast iron heads?? please do I wanna see your back and front!

We need to dig for more info about these parts!

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The moulds for the aluminum and cast iron heads would be be different. The Kogel Rocket heads were finned but the Thickstun ones are not. The finning might have been the cause of the cracking prob lem with Kogels along with the fact that all I have seen were chrome-plated whereas Thickstun stuff was painted a deep rich red color.
    It is hard to imagine any foundry making a run of only 2-3 or even less than 10 PAIRS of heads even in those days unless there was an inside connection at the foundry.
    Think if we could do that now!

10. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Unless these cast iron heads is a precast for the aluminum heads. I Dont think they made diffrent patterns for either aluminum or iron. Tattersfield made aluminum heads and have made 1 set of known heads in brass. they are displayed at speedway Bills museeum.

If more then 2-3 sets are known today, where the hell are all the rest if they made so many more? Noone else has seen or heard anything more then these pairs.

I hope some else out there has some more info to share with us!

The Thickstun , Tattersfield , Lightning and some Eddie Mayer heads are all based of the same pattern as the thickstun heads.
    Tattersfield took over the patterns when Thickstun died in 1946 and changed them to look like his own. Added finns and changed combusion chambers.
    Lightening heads , I dont know much about them. I would chop of my left arm to get a set!
    Eddie mayer heads I cant find pics right now, but a friend of mine has a set. Ill get pics.

They are all made to use the original lower headbolts in engine block.
    All 4 flathead speed equipment producers where all from Los Angeles/hollywood.

Attached Files:

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

As far as scarcity goes, who looked for rusty iron in a pile of old heads, then or now? Nobody, that's who. So even if a run of several dozens or 50 pairs was made and were workers when they were removed for whatever reason and laid in a stack under a bench there is really nothing to distinguish them from any other head but the bosses for the covers and the smallish name logo.

The shrinkage is different for cast iron and aluminum so the patterns are different sizes even if the parts end up being the same size.

12. Nobey

Nobey

Flat Head Roadster,
    If You can find a copy of the Premier Issue of Hop Up, dated winter 1994.
    It has a great story written by Jay G Fitzhugh, on the legacy of Tommy
    Thickstun. I posted a picture of My Thickstun Merc on [ Flatheads....... Lets
    see'em! ] page 8 , Good luck with Your search. Rich.

13. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Hi Rich!

thanks I do have the premiere issue of hop up , there is even a bigger story in Rodders Journal. Ill check that out on page 8!

14. What an interesting thread, I want more :D

15. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

FR,

More trivia. The Lightening Heads and Intakes were made by Warren Boardman. I was shown a series of photos of his castings by the late Dick Martin, when I was doing the Thickstun story for Rodders Journal 7 in 1996/97. I went to Oregon and met with Jack Radke (Thickstun's original pre-war friend and partner), Andy Thickstun (Tom Thickstun's nephew) and Martin.

There is also a set of recast Thickstun heads with the name Hot Rod shown in an early Almquist catalog. While I have never actually seen a set, these heads had fins, and still had the boss to hold down the head covers.

Also, Louie Senter at one time had access to the head cover patterns, as I have been told (but never shown) that at least a few sets with the ANSEN name were cast. I have been told that a magazine article in the 1960s had a photo of the ANSEN cast head covers, but I have never come across it, and I have a pretty good collection of magazines from this era. Bob Tattersfield, Lou Baney, Louie Senter, Bob Morton and Frank Baron all seemed to hang out together. Senter was part owner in ANSEN.

I do know that the elusive Thickstun/Radke supercharger prototype at one time after Thickstun's death in 1946 was under the work bench at ANSEN. From there it vanishes. I still have the blueprints given to me by Jack Radke.

16. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I will get you pictures on Monday. Sorry, I forgot about this thread & having a 2 1/2 year old boy....my HAMB time has been limited.

Chris

17. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

18. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Chris: no pics try again!!

19. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

1?

Attached Files:

20. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Sweet!!
    Do you have pics of back side as well??

21. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Whats the thing on the first pic of the upper head where the hose are still attatched? betwen the left to sparkplugs??

22. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

2?

Attached Files:

23. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

This vesion1.2?

Attached Files:

24. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Time to get this thread back to the top.

Any one with some more info about these heads??

25. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

The one differnce I see is that the steel heads do not have the larger 18mm plugs.

26. FlatheadRoadster

FlatheadRoadster
    from Sweden

Mine does have 18mm plugg holes!

27. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

28. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

If the same patterns were used to cast the iron and aluminum heads then the aluminum castings would be shorter than the iron castings (aluminum shrinks more than iron on solidification). Probably the measuring point would be over the combustion chamber at the valve area if they haven't been ground or modified. The head bolt pattern can be laid out from the middle of the casting to cut the difference in half but the cast in features always retain the original pattern shrinkage factor for the metal to be used. All this would determine is if there were separate patterns for the aluminum and iron heads or if he cast the iron heads off the same patterns.

regards
    Greg Hornbostel

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

And nobody will sell me a set! :)

30. alchemy

alchemy

I don't think they used the same patterns. Look at the side-by-side comparison in the very first post. There are a couple obvious differences. 1. the knobs in the upper corners are missing from the iron heads. 2. there is more flat space between the water neck and the stud hole right below it on the alum head, and they put the words "Los Angeles" in there. 3. the bottom corners look slightly different (this may just be an illusion from the dark color and shadows)