Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think I have mental issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Butch Clay, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Have any of you bought a car just because you felt bad for the car? What I mean is, the guy was gonna scrap it for a couple hundred bucks and it bothered me so much I gave him the money just so it wouldn't get melted down. Now I own a 46 Plymouth with no engine or tranny. I need this like I need a hole in my head.

I have to stop doing this. I'm running out of excuses with my wife.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not having money to blow will cure you of that REAL fast.

3. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

As I once said to a friend of mine, "You're one cat away from being a cat lady."

4. havi

havi

Yes. I bought a '62 Meteor just to get it out of the junkyard and into my backyard.

My wife would argue the other 8 cars were for the same reason, lol.

5. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

That's the only reason I own a '55 Chevy today. That, & my wife likes it better than my other cars. :(
    I watched while the previous owner slowly beat it up.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yeah, I can identify with that feeling. Had to try and convince myself these old cars are just inanimate objects.........still am tempted all too often, but I've gotten better, with time, at resisting the urge. Sooner or later you run out of space and/or money :)

Ray

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  7. Harms Way

Harms Way

If it's a 4 dr. ,..... you need to call Dr. Phil

8. Ya, but you could probably sell it here or on craigslist for a small profit or even break-even, but rest easy that it's going to a better home.

9. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

My thoughts exactly

10. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Just sell it to someone here that will make use of it. That way you've "saved it" and still have the money you spent for it. Possibly even a small profit(?)

11. Cerberus

Cerberus

It is harder to walk away from a car you don't need but like, than buy the car, when you have a pocket full of money. ;)

12. AllthenamesIpickaretaken

AllthenamesIpickaretaken

LOL I have close to 40 cars scattered throughout the yard that I felt sorry for!! half of them came from a local junk yard that calls me when anything old or interesting shows up..... 2 days ago I was there and noticed a complete all original and surprisingly very solid 79 Z28 sitting in front of the crusher with the wheels removed and I felt bad for it so of course its now sitting here in line with the others ....

13. Yep! I do it all the time. It really is a sickness.........

14. Energy

Energy

Thankfully, I am able to resist draggin cars home all the time (tho probably only because I live in an apt!), but I have enough parts stacked in my living room to last for the next 6 years, and have noticed that I keep casting covetous glances at "all that room" in the bedroom! :rolleyes:

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

What model was it? Do you have any pictures?

16. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I say good for you for saving it......

17. afaulk

afaulk

They speak to me too, LOL! Every once neat old car i see calls to me as i pass by-- apparently i'm not the only one. Whew, i was worried for a while there......

18. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

i.m with ya there,, it sucks

19. I'm the Ford guy with two 56Dodges because of the exact same condition,let me knowmhow you make out with treatments... Inquired about a 52 Chevy with the exact same fate this evening inOntario.

20. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I don't like cars laying around but I will buy one if I think I can make a buck on it. If I can't then off to China it goes.

21. draggler

draggler

My only sort of ward "off "hoarding behavior comes from the age ole saying my father taught me ,[do you need it ? or do you just want it?] ,Which can be said many ways !
    Without that ,id be eyeball deep in all sorts,instead im only knee deep !
    With my humblest understanding i definately can relate!

22. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

At least i'm not alone on this. It pisses me off scrap prices are so high because a lot of these are getting crushed by people who have been hurt by the economy. It's a 2 door sedan so it's somewhat desirable.

If I start feeling bad for 4 door Corvairs somebody slap me. HARD!

Butch

23. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Just as long as you don't hold conversations with it :D

24. BarryA

BarryA

It does but even being broke is still not a cure-all. I've got a '49 Hudson that I haven't even seen coming my way this week - in trade for some metalshaping on some of the guy's other cars......
    Worst part is it was my idea, not his!

25. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

GOOD JOB ON SAVING IT. If you don't want sell it for what you paid + the cost incurred getting it ( gas , lunch , whatever ) and maybe a small profit . There is probablly someone who will really want that car. When I do something like that I even le the buyer know how I got at the price. Honesty really blows some people away. lol

26. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

49 Hudson? Hmmmm, yeah, I could get emotionally attached to that pretty quick.:D

27. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

yup. i do the same.

thats why we are who we are.

28. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Here in Mi. I'm reduced to only having cars I can park inside a structure. My 77 Ranchero rusted to the ground parked in the dirt. I plan on moving to Az. in the spring where I bought a place on 2acs. w/ a 6 car garage. I may have to make an appointment w/ Dr. Phil

29. Or buy a snub nosed 38 and one hollow point.

I have purchased cars because I always wanted one of those and the price was right but never just because someone else was going to scrap it.

30. I wish some of you guys lived in my neighborhood...I've got a yard full you can have for little to nothing..