Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Camper, "The Canned HAMB" trailer project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 21, 2011.

1. edweird

edweird

cool camper,brian. you inspire me! this one needs work.

Attached Files:

2. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Wow,you definitely tore in to it! Can't wait for the reconstruction. Cool project.

3. Greezeball

Greezeball

You're braver than I am. I did a '57 Rocket a few years back and I did it one wall at a time instead of blowin' the whole thing apart. I guess the "tin" is your template. There is still alot of hardware available for these like window crank etc. but don't toss the door latch/lock next to impossible to find and several hundred $ if found. Good luck.

4. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

I finally started my trailer project this week. I'm taking off the skin and am going to shorten it from 16ft to 10ft, so it'll fit in my yard. Rebuilding everything, as you said with yours, I can't believe this hasn't fallen apart just sitting there.

Here's a picture of what I'm working with, maybe this will make you feel better if you're feeling like you've got a lot of work ahead of you:

[​IMG]

I've subscribed to this thread, and I'm very curious about the best way to handle that birch on the curves.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice to know! Ya know, it's never too early to start your own build thread! Gary

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha!! Sadly, however, it is true. But any project of yours is worth watching Brian. I'm in!

7. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Absolutely!

8. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

OK, I am really hooked on this one. You are much farther into this project than I thought you would get. I am trying to do my canned ham from the inside without too much rework. Yours seems to have more wood rot than mine. I will be patching small parts & resealing the edges, then building new counter & cabinets. I've got most of the parts, just need some ambition. Thanks for the added incentive.

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Believe me, if I could have made it useable without blowing it up, I would have. The way it's built though, there was NO way to replace any of the interior panels, as the paneling itself IS the framing. The paneling extends down below the floor, and is/was nailed to 2x3 white oak stringers hanging from the bottom of the floor. The egg shape of the sidewalls is framed at the top by short pieces of 1x6 that were stapled to the panelings edge, and the window frames front and rear were the ONLY cross pieces in the roof, aside from a 1x6 about 2/3 of the way back. That was it. The ceiling was 1/8" birch, the sidewalls 1/4". There were 3/4x3/4 firring strips laid on top of the paneling, but not attatched to it, that kept the .030 aluminum sheet from flopping and oil-canning. No insulation at all either. It was really quickly and cheaply built.

Brian

10. Cruiser

Cruiser

flynbrian48<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7260887", true); </SCRIPT> - I think the only way to look at your trailer, it's like our cars always in need of improvements. It's amazing how deceiving old trailers or cars can be at times. You have your work cut out for you, it'll be better then ever when your done. :D

CRUISER :cool:
    [​IMG]

11. Energy

Energy

Besides everything about what and how to pack one, this site http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/ has a whole forum of plans and how to build one!

high on my list too.

:p

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

We haven't gotten much done on the Tini-Home lately due to life, and my stupid plow truck project getting in the way, but we DID get the trailer completely stripped today and scoured the floor. It smells better already, now we can start building. If I can find any decent birch plywood that is. Went to Lowes and Home Depot today, and the stuff they had was just junk. Oh well, at least I don't need much.

Click on the handy link to see more! http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/

Brian

Attached Files:

13. Thanks for the updated pic.s, especially of the bride in there slinging linoleum. Been bugging my lovely for years to do this and seeing yours in there's gettin my bride more interested in the idea.
    Stay warm and motivated!!!

14. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Was there anything in the box?

15. You build the coolest stuff....

16. I love the 2nd photo of the debris pile!
    If it were me, that might be the last known photo of the trailer...

You're a lucky man, as I am to have a partner that likes to jump in.
    Way to go Mrs flynbrian48!!

Best of luck with the plow.

17. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I wish i still had my tear drop, Now i want a bigger trailer like urs... Subcribed

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL! YES! Guess what? If you said, "Rodent gnawed sleeping bag", then DING DING DING! You're a winner!

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That pile is the ENTIRE body of the trailer, minus the aluminum skin. Thanks for the well-wishes on the plow project. Untill I took the pump to the pro's to make it work after I "rebuilt" it (it worked, but leaked $10/quart fluid faster than I could fill it), it's only cost me about $500 each time I've plowed the driveway. That is about to increase by a significant amount...:eek::rolleyes:

20. Very cool project. That is great that your boss is into the project as well! She looks pretty happy about when most people would be panicked.
    Brian, here we have Windsor Plywood stores that have much better quality plywood at cheaper prices than the junk sold at the box stores. Look for a store like them.
    Don't be too tempted to way overbuild like some I've seen on the teardrop site.

~Alden

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks Alden. We're looking at different sources for plywood now. It'll all work out!

22. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Very cool old trailer! Man you dug into it! Just finished the inside of my 1947 Boles Aero,Now for the outside I don't want to polish it, want more of a satin, Aluminum look, Gibbs oil and 000 ot steel wool? What will you do with the finish on your ext?

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What's Gibbs oil? Murphy's oil soap and fine steel wool gives a really nice satin, "mill finish" look though. Some friends of ours with another Spartan Manor use it on theirs.

Brian

24. HuffDaddy

HuffDaddy

Brian, looks like a cool project. Are you going to try to finish it for the May Meet at Camp Dearborn?

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Well, that's been bandied about as a goal! We went down to "Bontragers RV Surplus" in White Pigeon on Friday and started buying stuff for it. I'm going back tomorrow with the truck to load up on stuff we couldn't get in the car like birch plywood, 'glass RV skin material, and whatever else it takes to build a "Tini-Home" from the floor up. Here's a pic of the load we brought home in the trunk of my Fusion...

Attached Files:

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Big progress on the "Tini-Home" today. It's not just a pile of stuff anymore, almost ready to roll a sleeping bag out in and go camp'n! Well, maybe not quite, but it looks like it's got potential now.

Brian

Attached Files:

27. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Great progress for sure...lookin great!!:cool:

Thanks for finally posting an update...I've been wondering how you were making out!

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work Brian!

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Looks great so far !
    It's cool - that's what it is ;)