Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another rough idle thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TubularGoose, Jan 22, 2012.

1. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Okay got this rough idle issue. The car ran GREAT until I took it on a two hr road trip. Got back the car started idling very rough. Rebuilt carb and adjusted. Still same issue the rebuild didn't change it a bit. It burns a little oil so I thought maybe fouled plugs switch those still nothing. Checked timing and adjusted here and there but still no change... I might add that it runs smooth at higher rpms...
    Any other thoughts on what i may be missing? Orr ideas as to where else to look.:confused:

2. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Run compression check and check for vacuum leaks. Sounds like a simple fix.

3. Lets start with some info on what engine we are working on, and we can go from there. On any engine, start with a compression test and a vacuum gauge and report back. Better yet would be to include a leak down test, although I understand not everyone has the ability for that.

4. Could be something as simple as a load of bad gas. That and fuel filters and fuel lines. Do you have a flat tappet cam? What oil have you been running?

5. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Okay. Sorry about lack of info. It's a 61 galaxie with a 292 yblock. I think I may be on to something here though. Took Plug wires off one at a time and found four of them didn't changed the the engine idle at all. Also turns out that it's those four cylinders that share an intake plenum. A quick squirt of carb cleaner in one barrel made the engine rev and the other side bog down (as per my mechanic friend told me). It would appear my carb still has a blockage after rebuid. I had dipped the carb the first go around but not the venturies for what ever reason. So i'm dipping it now overnight. And will report back If this doesn't work

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or an intake leak. Spray around with the carb-cleaner. Good luck.

7. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Sounds like a vacuum leak of some sort hose or intake. Check like Rickybop said.

8. If you find out it is debris in the carb, here is a suggestion commonly accepted here. I recommend run 2 fuel filters, first one at the fuel tank outlet or near by. Second one between the fuel pump and carb. Dont buy the plastic ones anymore. Go to NAPA and get the metal canister type, traditional and functional. Maybe time to flush out the ol gas tank too. TR

9. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Fixed! Just some junk still in the carb all that worry for nothin! And I agree on the flush of the fuel tank looks like a fairly new filter on there judging by out side havn't taken it off yet to really see how bad it's clogged. I'll just runs new one to be safe. Thanks for the tips! Oh and I did do the spray aroun check after the fact to make sure it wasn't a leak also. Seemed to check out fine! Thanks again.