Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Vollstedt (from track roadsters to Indy Cars: The Rolla Vollstedt Story). He printed 1600, I have 007 of 1600, because that was my car number. (Avitar)

2. Sadly Bill Phillips passed away about a decade ago. I'm part of a group that recognizes local motorsport Pioneers so we added Madman Bill Phillips last year. Had his sister and a few others at a ceremony last fall.

Here's a link to his story.

3. FAST57F100

FAST57F100
    from Washington

Here are a couple pictures of the Anglia. As found and today. It is posted in the cars for sale.

Attached Files:

4. Found this on the web from the 64 Rose Cup races. Anybody know the story here?

[​IMG]

5. Here's Len Sutton from the same race.

[​IMG]

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That is the same Cobra, Bill's buddy, Bill Anderson drove at the drags. Bill Anderson bought and raced Ireland's "Adios 1" 61 Ford SS/S two door sedan during the 62 season In B/G . Sadly Anderson recently passed away.

7. Funny, as I was sorting out some sprint car results for the 1950s from Victoria, BC., last night I noted that in 1957 "Benny" Eyerly's name is there. Not that he won anything but just that he was driving a sprint car at the time. I do have some Portland clippings from the 1950s that I'll have to check.

I had seen his name before and wondered about the family connection.

At that particular race Ernie Koch won the feature with Frankie McGowan second, both Oregon drivers.

Other Portland drivers include the brothers George and Bill Amick. George lost his life in a champ car race at Daytona. Bill ran NASCAR on both coasts to great success. Also ran a McLaren in 1967 winning at Westwood (BC) and Portland and elsewhere. Became a NASCAR official running various northwest series.

8. Mike Eyerly at the same 64 Rose Cup

[​IMG]

quick85 likes this.
  9. I don't remember this car at all. Anyone?

[​IMG]

10. Here's the Competition Press story on the 1964 Rose Cup.

Attached Files:

11. PIR in 1963:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wctnXDvkGAY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

And Goshen, OR, 1965:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MFTu9CobbMU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

12. WCD

WCD

Fred Sorenson was based out of Sacramento. He ran the original Warlock. Later Frank Pitts and Nick Otto campainged the car along with its name sake. Warlock II (seen above) crashed and its driver was paralyzed. I think Woody Gilmore built the chasssis. A low rider style Dodge Demon flopper later surfaced in the mid 70's with the same name but it didnt make much of a mark.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ernie Koch served as a solid driver for Rolla for many years in, Track Roadsters, Modifieds, and Champ Cars. Ernie's bother George "Pop" Koch was quite a fabricator, he worked for Rolla for some time.

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What about the Heard family? The running joke is, "there's a whole herd of them". Well known bracket racers. Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Yeah I knew that car was in The NW still and heard it might be for sale.

16. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Thanks for the films Digney. The Goshen track is now the Lane County landfill.

17. In the late 60s I remember "Little Annie Fanny" as a 36/37 Chevy coupe. Candy red.

18. Huh? I don't remember that one!
    WE NEED PICTURES GUYS! START SCANNING!!! :D

19. Gary it may have been a bit before your time. Had the same pic on the door as the batam.

20. The late 60's or early 60's?

21. fgnailhead34

fgnailhead34

Mac Bowman's Coupe.

Attached Files:

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was the mid-60's, it was Hugh Wedikind's. It proceeded the Bantam of the same name.

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The 348- 409 engine from this coupe was installed in Svela's, orange small block gas dragster for a short while.

24. Here's a nice shot of Goodell's roadster.

[​IMG]

Kan Kustom likes this.
  25. Here's an early shot of PIR after it was improved.

[​IMG]

26. WCD

WCD

There were at least two "Annie Fannies". Both Bantams, one being run as a B/A with SBC and a more refined version in 1970 that ran E/A with Weber carbbed six banger. There is a couple of color shots of the E/A version here on the HAMB. Do a search.

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

WCD, They were the same car, the Chassis was built by Ronnie Stevens, Northwest Race Cars, when it had the SBC engine, it broke something in the suspension at Mission BC. It pole vaulted end-over. It was repaired and raced with the Ford 6. It was later purchased by a friend of mine, who put a tunnel ram SBC and a Clutchflite. We built and installed a taller roll cage and new Ladder bars, 38" instead of the 26 inchers. However my friend borrowed a trailer and we headed for Woodburn, a strap broke and it fell off the trailer and followed us at 60mph. It sustained minor damage, we repaired it and sold to a guy in Vancouver. The name on it then was "The Quarter Pounder". BTW The original 26" bars are now on my brother's 'T' pickup.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, Was that taken at Woodburn? Looks like Lou Baney's trailer in the background. The "Snake at Woodburn? We do have a movie of the "Yellow Fang" racing there.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012