Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang II Hard Steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 87Heaven, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 87Heaven

87Heaven

I just recently bought a cool 36 Chevy 5 window. It was built about 10 years ago. Its has a 350 / 350 with a 10 bollt. Power discs with a mustang II front Suspension.

My problem is it is very hard steering until your up to speed.

It looks like an older rack and pinoin front suspension. Would replacing the rack with a later model rack help or should I just think about power steering.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. If you go power rack, be very careful picking your pump. A stock GM pump puts out WAAAAY too much fluid/pressure for the stock MII rack, which makes the steering really quick and jerky. Some say an orifice in the line helps, but that sounds like more of a bandaid than an actual fix. I know Fatman recommends a manual rack for my '46 Chevy truck, so that's what I'm going with!!! Heck, the way I see it, I could use the exercise, and that's one less thing to leave me on the side of the road!!!!

BTW....Nice Coupe!

3. woollybear

woollybear

I have put in a few TCI Mustang II front ends with power racks and never had a problem. I had to install a ristriction piece to slow down the steering but it worked well. Just my two cents.

4. Butch/1

Butch/1
    from Dublin ,Va

Mustang II power rack with a low pressure Maval p/s pump will do the trick.

5. I run an original Mustang II rack on my car ('38 Olds coupe) with no problems.

One thing that really makes a difference is the steering wheel diameter ... too small a diameter and the steering will be quite hard.

6. If your alignment isn't set right (too much caster) slow speed steering would be hard.

Don't discount the steering wheel size (as I mentioned earlier) it really does make a difference. Find an old (ugly and cheap) wheel that fits your column and see if it helps.

7. Built mine

Built mine

Which month in 1964 was that steering rack made ??

8. Check the castor as someone else said. It is different (less) for manual steering cars than Power Steering cars. Also check front tire pressures. Different brands of tires (and certainly width) will make a big difference as well.

Way to go FNG - If you haven't noticed MII front ends are quite common on here and pretty much tolerated to a point.