Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Never Stop Searching! Just a tad O/T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slddnmatt, Jan 22, 2012.

1. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Back in the 60's my Pop and a few of his friends, had a few bikes brought over from England, he restored his within a couple of years and showed it in late 60's early 70's..then like a lot of toys, ended up sitting in the garage for years with other priorities first..He eventually sold it to fund a more family oriented project, a 29 tudor which started all this car madness crap for me.:rolleyes:

I always had liked the bike and hated to see it go, but I understood. I told myself as I got older if I ever found it I would do what I could to get it back. After a few years of looking and joining clubs and stuff with no luck, I kinda put it out of my mind. Then about a year ago, I did a google search on the model and year, and sure shit about the third link I looked at was a pic of my Pops bike, exactly the way I remember it at 11-12 years of age..

I jumped around for a minute in excitement and then got a little depressed..now how do I find it! I got lucky and found a name attached to a pic in the classified section of the site for a different bike forsale. the only reason I caught it was because both bike pics were taken in the back of the owners 40 ford pickup...the moderator was kind enough to send my info to the owner and within a day he contacted me!

He had owned the bike for about 7 years and was going to restore it when he retired, but after meeting me and seeing pics of the bike in its hayday, said he would sell it, and hold it for me until I came up with the funds to buy the bike..well it took me awhile and my Merc is headed to Australia, but I think its a damn good trade to have a piece of my Pop back.. sorry if this is a little long and o/t being a bike, but just when you think you'll never find what your looking for, you never know what might pop up the next day!! here are a few pics for ya, and the internet pic of it in the 40 that gave me hope!!:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Very cool Matt!!!

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Im a giddy little kid right now, always figured the bike was long gone, its been 24 years!

4. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

5. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Cool story, glad to see you are happy...

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Concerning this being ot, I would imagine the hamb would make an exception on this one.

Great story. Very happy for you. So cool you actually found it.

Sounds like the owner understood, and had some compassion.

7. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Great story & great find, have a ton of fun with it!! I hope you've someone in the family with feelings for the bike that you can leave it to eventually, after it's recent travels it needs to stay "home", ...permanently!

8. Awesome!
    I believe things that are meant to happen,happen.
    Congrats.

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

A square four !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if it wasn't your Dad's old bike it would still be a real find.
    Great score.

10. skoh73

skoh73

Amazing story and sweet score! That's a really neat looking bike. Congrats.

11. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

wow, an ariel square 4....... very neet.

12. Igosplut

Igosplut

Great that you not only got it back, but you got it back in that shape. I wouldn't touch it, just ride it as is....

13. Congrats! I know the feeling. I am going thru a similar situation with my dads old CB750. It was the first motorcycle I ever rode on at 5yrs old and the reason I am into bikes and hot rods. After hounding the current owner to buy it back the past 10 years I am picking it up this week.
    Good luck with the bike.
    Brian

14. 60chev

60chev
    from Australia

cool find its good to have priceless family treasures i hope it brings back wonderful memories

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I don't even ride, but I would do the same if one of my Dad's old chops became available. I'm sure they're all long gone, though.

Congratulations!

-Dave

16. springer99

springer99

GREAT pick up mate , I'm in 2 minds about it - not to much work to bring it back or just leave it as your dad had it !!!
    Its a big call , either way you'll have a ball !!

17. greazy john

greazy john

18. Love it man

19. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Wow, an Ariel even! Cool

20. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Matt thats awsome, I remember you telling me about it when i was at your house....

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ariel Square Four. That's almost imaginary...

Armond Bletcher (infamous Calif. outlaw) rode an Ariel Square Four, in the late '50s to early '60s. I did a minor repair on it once...

22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Square Four, Great Score! I'm liking that Econoline on the hoist in the gas pump picture......

23. tinmann

tinmann

Is it THE bike your dad had.... or the same as the one he had?

Nice score by the way.

24. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

It is my dads bike here is a pic of right before he sold it in our driveway in Long Beach.. and another current one. notice it even still has the small piece of blue paint down in the corner of the tank...

Attached Files:

25. Can't wait to see it buddy!!!! Wish I could find my brother's '58 Impala...painted by Watson,striped by VonDutch. That would be a great find!

26. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Congrats!I'm glad you got it back.I can't wait to see it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  27. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Congrats bro ! Definitaly worth what you gave up for it. Cant wait to see it.

28. Yeah, what they said.

29. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

did some tinkering on sunday, ran around 4 different auto parts stores for a battery with no luck and then find one at Ace hardware of all places..hooked up some wires, had to replace the petcock from the tank with a temporary one for now...crossed my fingers and gave it a few kicks and it stumbled a bit..after a few more kicks it fired up! ended up cleaning the carb tonight and it ran better, but i have to replace some gaskets on the rocker box, cooking oil the heads..but it runs!

30. slammed

slammed

For you non bike dudes this is a Holy Grail for sure.