Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bought me a Driver...Studebaker Wagonaire's LETS SEE'EM!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconwagon62, Oct 19, 2010.

1. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

They are cool ....Sort of miss my `61 Hawk 4-Speed.....In Flamingo , no less.

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

You think a Stude with a Stude is cheap and the Stude people are cheap already, wait till you put the SBC in it. Unless you do a clearly top notch job and nail the details, you'll be paying somebody to take it off your hands or selling it for parts at best. Non Studebaker people still won't want it, just as before, and then neither will many Studebaker people, especially the ones that realize you need to pay decent money to get a good one.

The key is doing it very well and professional, no half ass job. You need to clearly make the car better, not just to it to be lazy and make your life easier. Cheap people know cheap inside and out and they can see it and stay away and the people with money generally want all Stude. Compare any stock Stude to another similar one with just any old non-Stude motor thrown in and see which one brings more money. Almost always it will be the stock Stude. But, again, if you do it right, a lot more Stude people will appreciate the quality work and mostly be ok with it.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Welcome falconwagon to Studedom.

My daily driver is a 59, 2dr. wagon. Still runs the original 259, Offy intake manifold w/Edelbrock carburetor and automatic trans.

Lotsa parts still available.

Mike

4. I'll second what Stude Trucks said.Whether you go with SBC or South Bend power, you've gotcha a great Little League hauler. You might want to forgo the engine swap and work on the brakes, which tend to be marginal in today's traffic. Did you notice Studebaker used the same bumpers front and rear? Stude engineering and bean counting!

5. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Bean counting? At Studebaker?? Did you notice the M-series trucks used the same fenders front/back ? They just swapped sides. And I STILL miss my Hawk. But anyway, Yes, Drop a 289 in it and drive.

6. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

I am lucky prior owner, who bought from the estate, did the brakes, hoses, belt, and most of the tune up, today I got the tailgate locking, ordered new wires and bought a set of wheels, new pictures coming tomorrow...I do need one of those rear steps!
    [​IMG]

Also got 1 head light out, but everything is working just fine....bit of a pig, with the 170, but will ride her, till she will not go any longer...then, maybe a swap, for now, Life is a highway, and I can't drive...55...well with that super 6, I just may have to!

7. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

DAM hot rodders!!!

Fenton Ram Rod Wheels and radial tires, finished the tune up as well....going on a shake down run to Hamilton tonight!!

[​IMG]

8. llonning

llonning

It has been 35-40 years ago. A buddy of mine Chuck had a 63 Wagonaire with an R2 engine, 4 speed, twin trac and I forget what gears. Ran it at SIR and Puyallup. Nobody could believe the way it ran. Blew the doors off most of the cars he went up against.
    Wished I knew where they are now, lost touch many years ago.

9. looks killer dude!:D:D should be fun cruising it!:cool:

10. racer756

racer756

11. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

DID GREAT!!!! had a blast, ZIppy did a whole 70 MPH....no issues...did forget to tighten 1 of the wheels...tightened it when we got there! Had a good night, grilled out some dogs, and hung out with some good freinds...good time....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the things I also colllect is Hamilton Skotch Coolers, they were made right here in Hamilton, Ohio, these are only a few I have extra, 4 gal cooler, 1 gal kooler, BBQ Grille and a Picnic Basket......

[​IMG]

12. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eOm5P1AkUi4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eOm5P1AkUi4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Print ad of the day;

[​IMG]

more;
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEfscN9Ppuc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CEfscN9Ppuc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Just toss the kids in the back with the dogs and junk and hit the road! :D

14. Cymro

Cymro

I loved the opening roof on this one
    [​IMG]

15. mt94ss

mt94ss

Cymro, that's the one I had... nice!

Later,

Mike

16. That opening in the rear is RAD!

17. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

I bought me another one! Sold the tan one to a HAMB'er in Knoxville, and missed it so bad, had to get another, no pics yet, owner in Florida till April, no biggie, but back with a Sudebaker in 2012!

18. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Real Avantis did not have Chevs in them!!!

19. maverickman514

maverickman514

The sad truth is, South bend has no pride left. They have torn down all but 3 of the Studebaker buildings. They have successfully chased away more businesses than they have attracted. And the new Mayor was not even alive when the last Avanti was built here... So, I am glad that car guys (and gals) remember the greatness that actually built this city, since 95% of the population doesn't realize that the local minor league baseball team is named after a Sture model (South Bend Silver Hawks)

Great to see some Wagonaires being saved and rodded..... I hope to get one someday.

20. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Found a pic, she is 100% stock, 259 V8, not GM...PS,PB, AM radio, Disc Brakes, spare and all in place.....

[​IMG]

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

NICE! and very well equipped......good score

Ray

22. Wow,,such a cool looking wagon. HRP

23. derbydad276

derbydad276

how much did ya give for the new one what are these things going for?

24. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

More than the last one, this one is a Arizona car with some interesting history, more on that later but got it better than average NADA book...

25. indybail

indybail

I used to have one. It was a Matchbox car, but I had one. Leave it be. It has the distinction of being both rare and cool.

26. There's one of those in the Petersen Automotive Museum, here in LA.
    You're in good company. Very cool.

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Just stick a hitch on it and roll. That teardrop trailer probably was pulled by many an inline six powered car in its day and it won't care a bit.

28. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

only thing I am changing at all, is the wheels, gotta have some koool factor, but I will be running the factory wheels and caps in the Hamilton Antique Car Parade as no mags allowed!!!

[​IMG]

29. BHOFFSCHNEIDER

BHOFFSCHNEIDER

I have a 64 that i saved from the crusher v8 auto trans runs good needs alot but all there and could be a driver very easy if someone is interested just too many projects

30. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

nice score, but i think i prefer the tan one more. less busy front end i guess is why. either way, nice score on both.

and i agree, a teardrop would be no strain on any kind of motor. i would be surprised if you could pack more than a few hundred pounds in one and get it to weigh more than 1500lbs.