Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Do I Ship This Hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bmart, Jan 22, 2012.

1. bmart

bmart

I have a 37 ford hood for sale. I live in indiana, and a guy called me and said if I could get it to California, he would take it. So, How would I even ship this?
    Thanks

2. voodoo1

voodoo1

Get a Really Big Box!

3. bmart

bmart

Then who do I go through to ship?

4. F&J

F&J

Me, I would not ship it.

Greyhound can do large things like that, but a flat hood will likely get something placed on top of it in the cargo area.

So, then you'd need more than a cardboard appliance box, but if you build it out of wood, the buyer won't want to pay for crating or the extra weight.

If you ship in cardboard, and if it gets smashed, you will be called out here on hamb for being stupid. No win situation IMO

5. Old&Low

Old&Low

Build a 1x4 or 2x4 frame, cover the frame with thin plywood, ship it by UPS; get a dimensional price quote from UPS and bounce that off your buyer to see if he still wants it. There are cheaper ways to ship it, but none safer.

6. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Have the buyer make the arrangements for shipping

7. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

FedEx has a freight service. Shipping companies can ship anything you want- just palletize it or crate it up. There are plenty of companies out there. And they are not all a ton of money. You can even check Uship.com, they have people bid on shipping your item so you have them compete for your business. Get online and research some, you will find options.

8. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

greyhound. use some styro panels for the surface of the hood and build up on the inner side with styro, wrap it in heavy plastic, put a label on it and go. i have done this more than a few times without any problems. or try uship.com or the like and maybe you will get lucky with someone going your way. good luck.

9. I am leaving Cincinnati for Long Beach, CA in the morning ...

At this time I have room in my enclosed trailer.

I am taking I-70 thru Indianapolis ...

Jim

10. bingo! ive used Jims services before excellent service snd reasonable rates!

11. Thanks Kenny .... ;)

Sorry I couldn't help you out last time

Jim

12. bmart

bmart

Now how much would that cost me?

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, go with Jim. He's got a good rep from what I've seen here.

And it won't cost you a thing. The buyer pays.

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PM Jim and get his phone number. It's going to be a lot cheaper, and safer, for him to transport it than any other option. Provided, of course, that the buyer can pick it up somewhere along the way in Californee.

15. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have successfully shipped all sorts of easily damaged stuff. Build a container using 2x2s and thin plywood. Screws are better than nails. Glue is better than no glue. Doing it right is going to cost a few dollars and take some time. Hope you included the cost for as box in the price. Don't make the box so tight on the part that if the box is leaned on or twisted it will damage the hood. Don't just stick the hood in the box loose. To avoid damage it will need to be surrounded with bubble pack and/or secured inside the box.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone posted here previously, that they witnessed workers at a shipping company, throwing boxes across the room. Take that for what it's worth.

17. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I used 1/4 inch paneling and ran 1 x 4 Long ways with gaps around a set of fenders I shipped Plus lots of tape.The wood and 1 x4 arent that heavy .............

18. Ebert

Ebert

Man, I tried Greyhound on two separate occasions for fenders, etc and they SUCKED!!! They actually shipped to St. Louis....only about 5 hours from me!!! Go with TrulyVintage!!! Don't know him, but sounds like the way to go!

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by CutawayAl [​IMG]
    I have successfully shipped all sorts of easily damaged stuff. Build a container using 2x2s and thin plywood. Screws are better than nails. Glue is better than no glue. Doing it right is going to cost a few dollars and take some time. Hope you included the cost for as box in the price. Don't make the box so tight on the part that if the box is leaned on or twisted it will damage the hood. Don't just stick the hood in the box loose. To avoid damage it will need to be surrounded with bubble pack and/or secured inside the box.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Did it, just like you say. 2x2s and all. Took me two days to build the crate. When I complained, they simply didn't answer me. I'll never do business with FedEx again.

20. Thats it right there. Unless you are making a killing on the hood, the shipping effort is going to take the fun out of it. :mad: Been there many times.

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yup, after all my work, I lost money on a "sale." Not the only time. But, you hit your head on the wall enough times, then you learn not to do that anymore.

The odl expression is, I think, NO good deed goes unpunished.

Specify that the buyer be ready to PICK IT UP himself.

22. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

^^^That^^^ or utilize UShip and have the buyer barter for the cheapest price/bid...

23. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Whenever I sell somthing like that, that needs shipped, I drop the part off at a professional packing and shipping place in Escondido, and let the buyer work out the details with them. Way too much time and effort to crate and ship or freight something like that when a professional can do it faster, and better. I sent a whole Model A diasassembled this way once. Dropped all the pieces of that were in the ad, and they palletized, crated, and freighted it. Don't know and don't care how much the buyer paid them, because he paid them directly. Works perfect. I've done this probably 30 times on large items.

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Complained about? Was there damage, wouldn't they accept the package, or ? For heavy stuff or big items like this I have always used motor freight companies like Preston, Mid-States, Roadway, etc. Shipping and handling can be rough on a container, but with good construction, and probably a little good luck, I have never had the contents damaged.

25. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I shipped a hood by Greyhound from Ohio to Montana, properly packaged and properly addressed and it arrived in original condition, no problems

26. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Bought a 58 Chev roof from a guy in Minnesota shipped Fed Ex freight to me in SE Pennsylvania, with just a sticker with my address pasted on it. No skid ,no packaging , no nothing.

Made it O.K.

27. Dirk35

Dirk35

Its easy to ship.....just measure the overall size and get a Big Screen TV Box. They make TVs in 80 inches now and most of the boxes have neat little plastic clips that hold the box together. I fit a 34 Ford Sedan hood in one and even cut the box down to make it smaller to save on shipping. They also have good styrofoam protecting the TV so you need to cut it to fit and secure the hood well.

Where do you get said box? Hit the dumpster at the college dorm and Frat houses the first couple of weeks of a college semester. You can also ask at the Wal Mart or the Circut City for a box.

28. Dzus

Dzus

I would be hesitant to use Greyhound. I used to work for a company that used Greyhound all the time which meant I spent WAY too much time hanging around a bus terminal.

But you don't have to take my word. Just google this thread from another site:
    "Help me find my vfn sonoco hood. Please!!!"

29. I tried to help out the poster .....

I exchanged PM's past midnight with the Seller on Sunday,
    I was willing to re-route from Cincinnati to pick up ....... :cool:

I have to be in Long Beach, CA to meet a ship bound
    for Japan in a few days so I cannot delay my trip
    to pick up a hood .....

My advice to any Seller is have the Buyer arrange the shipping.

The poster attempted twice to get me to lower my transport
    charge - said it wasn't him asking - it was the Buyer ....

After the second attempt to lowball me - I gave up ....

I try to help out with the shipping of parts,
    but I am not going to pay out of my pocket to do it.

Jim

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  30. bmart

bmart

sorry man but it wasnt me doing the low ball...it was the buyer and i wasnt gonna lose my butt too..that is why i attempted to get a phone number but you said it had to be through a pm?If the guy isnt a member he cannot post so I of course had to be the middle man. Plus since you were heading that way anyways I dont see anyway how you were going to lose money? But that is beside the point...I have several ppl at the local walmart and other appliance stores looking out for larger boxes..