Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Beside the Barn" willys find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ME.GASSER, Jun 2, 2010.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Great work ! Its nice to see somebody else likes making something from nothing!

2. drumyn29

drumyn29

Wow those cage nuts are beautiful!! Very talented.

3. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff,
    Thank you very much. Was glad to find someone who is making them since i couldn't find them anywhere. They look great.
    Larry

4. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you. Willys are a passion of mine.

5. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time for another little update. My hand surgery has been delayed so i'm back at the project. This picture shows the rear fender well rust damage. The inner fender is from the sedan donor car. The car had been originally repaired with brass and the lip that goes to the inner fender had a piece welded over it. I removed that piece and prepared for repair.[​IMG]

6. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With my new purchase from Shane and the people at Bailey's i had the right tool to make my patch panels.[​IMG]

7. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It only took me about 2 hours per side to make these pieces. The shrinker-stretcher works awesome. [​IMG]

8. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now all i need to do is trim the fenders and start welding. [​IMG]

9. One of the hardest areas to repair on a Willys, and you make it look easy...way to go!
    g-willys

10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

g-willys,
    The right tools make the job alot easier. I was surprised at the cost of the shrinker-stretcher. It was cheap enough to make me not second guess the purchase. Thanks for the compliment. I noticed that your from the twin cities. I was wondering if you know Dave Davis. He is a good friend of mine and one hell of a photographer. He shoots for Gasser Wars Magazine.
    Larry

11. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

it looks great Larry! keep the pics coming!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  12. Great car! Nice to see some of these up in the Northeast. Hope to see it at a show sometime in the future.

13. Diggerdave

Diggerdave

al made parts for us when i worked at moroso

14. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First off, i want to apologize again for posting one picture at a time. I can't get this computer to do what i want it to do. I'm better off in the garage. This is a picture of the sedan trunk pan. As i stated earlier the car had been hit hard in the rear. I spent an hour or so straigtening this out to use as a pattern. It's not rusted too bad but there are too many cracks and dents to deal with. So i decided to fab a new one.[​IMG]

15. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A machinest friend of mine made me these dies. Pretty heavy duty. [​IMG]

16. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the new trunk pan. It's 18 guage. Pretty heavy stuff to put such big beads in. I worked slowly making several passes and it seemed to work out okay. I won't be able to install this until i get my trunk lid. I want to make sure that everything is squared up before i weld. Thanks for your interest.
    Larry[​IMG]

17. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Larry great progress with the Willys love the work and detail your putting in to it takes me back to mine well worth the hard work cheers Wayne

18. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wayne,
    Thanks for the compliment. I checked out your bio, you have some pretty cool stuff. I'm a custom home builder by trade. This is just a hobby for me. I really enjoy metal fabrication.
    Larry

19. g-willys,
    The right tools make the job alot easier. I was surprised at the cost of the shrinker-stretcher. It was cheap enough to make me not second guess the purchase. Thanks for the compliment. I noticed that your from the twin cities. I was wondering if you know Dave Davis. He is a good friend of mine and one hell of a photographer. He shoots for Gasser Wars Magazine.
    Larry

Know Dave very well...all the local Willys guys around here are close. There are about 10 of us that are very avid Willys guys, and our total number of cars (95% of 'em Steel) is somewhere in the 30 range. Dave has helped me with my '36 sedan, and our computers are jammed full of his shots including your coupe and pickup. He's making great progress on his delivery, and it's looking good. My '39 has been on the road for years, and it's one of six coupes I have had since 1960 (boy were they cheap then). Was out your way a few years back (vacation), and crossing over into New Hampshire I came across a factory 2-door sedan body at a remote body shop, we were still on the Maine side. Neat find, but it was a Sunday, and no one was around!
    g-willys

20. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

21. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Hey Larry,
    Been watching your build close:) Keep the pics and updated work progress coming.
    When are you going in for surgery?
    Ken,

22. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ken,
    I should know this week when the surgery is going to be. Love your Henry J by the way.
    Larry

23. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

Larry,
    The car is looking really good. I'm glad you decided to keep it and build it - you are very talented. Keep the pictures coming.
    Doyle

24. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

jeez I will have to get ahold of vaughan and come take a peek at the willys . great work

25. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Very nice work Larry. Maybe I need to bring mine to you so it will get finished. Keep up the good work.

26. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks

27. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm around most weekends. Come anytime you want to.
    We'll PM you our phone number.

28. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jr,
    If you bring it here you won't get it back:D:D:D

29. violet springs

violet springs

30. willyscoupe

willyscoupe

Larry this is a floor piece that quite a few guys would like I'm sure ! I know I would , great find , great work ! I'll check back soon ! Love what you have going on !
    I took mine down just as far but it's not back up to where your's is yet . Again , great work !