Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to build a T bucket for under $3000 book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captainjunk#2, Nov 19, 2009.

1. joburnsjo

joburnsjo

I pulled my old copy out this past winter to get some ideas for some brackets for my Model A never knew it was worth so much maybe I can sell it and retire sooner LOL

2. ChestersAlive

ChestersAlive

Just for the general information, if you have the spiral bound original book, there were only 800 of these ever produced. Lord only knows how many are left. Since I correlated, cropped and bound every one of them myself working far into the night, my fingerprints will be on every page and impossible to copy. These originals cost me $12 apiece to print, the first issues were sold at a loss to try to recuperate some of my investment and quiet a bitching wife. In the end I had to sell my flathead 'T' to catch up on the bills. It took me a lot to bring that book to the enthusiasts. It took a year to write it, and another year to type it good enough to copy. You can probably pick out a lot of 'white out' and erasor tape corrections in it. You might consider hanging on to it in case your kids or grandkids get into 'Ts'......... Chester

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i lost a few pages of my original spiral bound copy , i should spring for a new and improved updated copy ,

4. RichG

RichG

What are the upgrades to the book? I bought the e-copy last year, is there enough difference to warrant the extra $5?

EDIT: got my answer, the book is legible now (it was before, but barely!:D) I'm not knocking Chester, but the mimeographed look of the book before was hard on my wimpy eyes. Thanks a ton, well worth the extra few bucks... now I have to get the other book:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  5. ChestersAlive

ChestersAlive

I'll have to give my apologies to everyone who is waiting for Book 3 on building the Apache pickup. It's going to be delayed a little. I seem to be smack in the middle of the drug wars down here and we pretty much stay in the house with the doors closed to avoid stray bullets. We're going to make a run for the border in a few weeks and I'll stay in the states until the violence calms down. The Apache will have to sit in the garage until I return..........Chester

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

my curriousity got the best of me , and i bought an updated copy of how to build a t bucket , hope you and the missus are safe chester , got some reading to do now

7. butch27

butch27

Chester: Get the Hell out of there. I'm sure the warrant for your arrest is nul and void by now.LOL Butch

8. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Bringing this back up to the top, TONS of great info in this book. I just bought the eBook last night and I can't stop thinking about building a T. Pretty sure I have everything too except the body, plywood, rear spring(s), gauges, and some steel. Also gives me the excuse to hold off on building my A until I can afford to do everything the way I really want to:D.

Thanks Chester, hope you had a safe trip back to the states

9. ChestersAlive

ChestersAlive

Thanks for the concern guys, We made it back to the states OK and are staying in Dallas until things cool down in Mexico. There are no police left where we live. they were all chopped into pieces and scattered in the streets, the rest quit.As for my last book, its over half finished but will have to wait, better late than never. All gringos are a target there now. Any questions on the rods I built or just to bullsht my email is [email protected], I seem to have plenty of time on my hands. There was never a warrant for me, I just like adventure and living in Mexico, except for the flyiing bullets its like stepping back into the 50s............ Chester

10. butch27

butch27

Glad you're back in the USA.

11. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

glad your safe , who needs dudes with machettes after you ,

12. OldCrow

OldCrow

Chester,
    It's really sad to see what's going on down south now. I have fond memories of being down there 20 years ago when it was still good also.

anyway.... an update on my T. which is my first T build, and built with many ideas which developed as a result of reading your E-book. I printed out every page!! ya ya. I know my T isn't "traditional" by todays standards, but perhaps it will be concidered that in another 40 years ;) . I'm most proud of the fact that I designed and fabricated every lick of it, including shooting the paint. I farmed out the stiching of the interior and top, yet still built the car for under 10K . not bad in 2011 dollars?

Thanks for helping keep the spirit of real rodding alive,

Cheers,
    Russ

Attached Files:

Driver50x likes this.
  13. Thought I'd offer a quick update about truckdude1's ownership of Chester's flathead T-Bucket. I was able to find some pics of it at a past Hunnert Car Pileup and it was still looking good. Here's just one.

[​IMG]

Jeff was kind enough to add some more info and I incorporated that into an update at http://www.tbucketplans.com/2012/01/02/chesters-traditional-flathead-t-bucket-found-kind-of/

If anybody has seen it more recently or knows the new owner, please let us know. We'd love to hear about it and get more pics. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  14. Ga55er

Ga55er
    from Texas

Just downloaded my copy! Sho'nuff a lot of good info in there! Gonna have to print it out for the garage though...I spend too much time staring at screens and not enough building projects as it is.

Chester, now that you're back in the states could you offer a Print On Demand(POD) version too? Thanks!

15. Hey Chester - how're you doing mate?

16. i like all the comments about building it for less.hell i thought 4-5k would get my a coupe running. ive got over 7k in it and its not that nice.

17. Ga55er

Ga55er
    from Texas

Winter 1997. I wore the on shelf one out while working at Chief Auto during college that year. Finally had to buy a better one from a sister store! Now I'm finally building one. No glass though:)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376783378.534927.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376783728.348209.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  18. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Doing one now with a bud . Building frame and mounts ,to keep price down the front suspension adds up. :(

19. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Hey model a hol. My bud says that all the time doing the best with what i have .............hear that every day :)

20. Driver50x

Driver50x

A quick update to this thread..... I just got an email from Chester. He is doing well, living back in Mexico, and still building stuff. :)

Tim likes this.
  21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

that is very cool news , happy holidays and best wishes to Chester G ,

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

23. butch27

butch27

I have my book bought in 1990s. Wouldn't sell it . Too much info inside. My build is not from his book though.