Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bragging about build cost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miraclepieco, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ravedodger

ravedodger

How much I spend is very important to me. It it may not be important to anyone else.

About 10 years ago, I thought the rodding scene had passed me by because of soaring costs. Then, over two years ago, after reading some posts here and elsewhere, including Craigslist, I decided that I could get myself into to a car but it would have to be cheap. The plan has been to build a car one piece at a time--just like the old tune.

Since then, I've been ripped-off a coupe times and scored fairly well other times. In my blog that hasn't had a need for an update in a while, I mention how much I've spent; not as bragging rights, but to keep track for myself and show others that a budget build can be done. I don't know a lot of rodders, so my budget build might be more than the next guy's. In the long run, the cost won't matter. I'm happy to just be in the game right now and looking at a pile of rusty old parts sit in my garage until the next new-to-me rusty treasure arrives.

2. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

My 41 IH falls into the mold so Ill bite. I wanted to build a cheap fun ride. Had a 78 Dodge 1/2 ton stepside given to me. Found a 41 IH for 700. Had a very low mile Chevy 305/305 given to me from a good friend who didnt want it. ( He inhereted it.) Time I feel is therapudic on this project. Relax and enjoy. I didnt add up the welding supplys or oxygen used or electricity used in the compresser. All the other stuff kicking around usually doesnt owe me a penny.

Attached Files:

3. Guilty as charged. But opinions may vary.

I have receipts for every dime I SPEND on my projects.

I am a scavenger at heart. I also get into a lot of shops that are always trying to keep a clean organized shop (how sick is that! lol) they are constantly throwing away cool shit. I pick it even if I have no need for it. COST ZERO. so when I use it or trade it I feel the cost is still zero.

I probably spend twenty grand a year to keep the shop where I work on my project (and customers) for the last 5 years should I say I've got a 100 grand in my project? where do you draw the line.

I will always trade labor for almost anything. sometimes it works out above my normal shop rate sometimes it goes the other way. it makes no difference to me. I'm semi retired and I spend as much time looking for lost parts as I do working on a project. when working on customers cars I reach a point when I stop charging because I don't feel the finished product is worth the charge. even on materials I still use a 1997 price sheet.

so when I say that my 1954 GMC is a "Money Pit" I only count the money which right now is $1979.29. if I ever start calling it a "Labor Pit" I'll have to fess up that I don't have a clue how much time I've spent on this project, Or how many hours I've worked on others projects to move my project forward.

Call me a liar if you will, But my claim is "If you want something and are willing to work for it, you can't use "Lack Of Cash" for an excuse."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. indybail

indybail

Funny how the numbers start going the other way when stories are about how much they sold a car for.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I like the idea of not spending much on the build as that means you can have more then one,if I had a car worth 6 figures I could not afford to insure it and it would just sit in the garage collecting dust but I can afford to drive 4 cheap rides. I had a few people whining that I got a couple of my vehicles for free from my dad but I payed a heavy price for them as I lost him a few years ago.

6. 57FORD

57FORD

if i didn't add in my time. whether i worked for a part or not. i would have about 4k in my truck. now if i added my time for trade parts and my labor. i would say i had about 10k into my truck. but i dont think most will include there own labor time. and I dont really think its necessary.

7. Sounds like I should have been paying myself hourly for all the time I've spent on my projects. Dammit I've been ripping myself off! What an asshole I am. Turns out my affordable cars have cost me a fortune. Much more than I can afford, sounds like they'll have to go.

8. 57FORD

57FORD

i to understand about the price you pay for things in return. i would rather have paid for the truck i received instead of how i got it.

9. 57FORD

57FORD

ha ha ha

10. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

It's more like bitchin bout build cost for me. Why has everything got so high priced ?

11. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

I always thought the most expensive part is when people quit before the project it done. As long as you don't quite and you can drive it and have fun then the cost is irrelevant. It's about as much fun as you could have with your pants on once it hits the road.

Butch

12. butch70462

butch70462

when i built my car the wife can tell you every dime i spent and how much time i have in it LOL Butch

13. turdytoo

turdytoo

Being an old tight wad and a former parts man, I am constantly amazed and pissed over how much everything cost on a build today. The big stuff is crazy enough but the little stuff like fittings, bolts, and paint is just nuts. My .02.

14. Wags66

Wags66
    from Montana

About 20 years ago the "good deals" I had been getting through salvage yards went away. It appeared as though overnight everything was worth double, triple, or even quadruple what it had been before. I started buying used beaters for my own parts and re-selling what I didnt need. Did pretty well at it too, well enough to pay for a 30 x 40 shop in cash (lost that in a divorce). Ive ended up with a fairly large stash of parts specific to my own hobbies. They are paid for in full from years of doing what I've done and I dont see it as cheating to use my own hard earned items. Good thing too, these days prices continue to climb on all old iron and try to find a 40s-70's beater in the classified adds anymore. Cash for clunkers and other Government sponsered "clean up" programs have taken care of that.

15. NO WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO ONE EVER SAID I GOTTA DRIVE IT WITH ME PANTS ON:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::p:p:p:p:p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. Carter

Carter

Actually Cash for Clunkers requires the vehicle to be manufactured less than 25 years before its 'trade in' , so let's not go there. That would be around 1984 or newer, so I'd like to know how that 'took care of' all of those affordable 40's to 70's beaters.

17. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

I hate the question. My reply is usually "I'm not sure".

Whenever the UPS guy shows up I tell my wife "about 40 bucks" and kind of make a face...

18. Lild

Lild

If I had a nice car I wouldnt keep track. The end total would probably make me sick:D

19. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

So why would trading labor be counted? You would be working anyway, Say fixing dents for someone in exchange for getting upholstry work done... Mostly Labor on both ends and you cant do upholstry and other guy cant do body work. Its a win win and you still never put anymore money in your car.... Alot of the parts i have i got for free or i bought in a lot and sold parts off and paid for the rest, so really there is no money in them...

But yes building cars ARE expensive...

But so are hookers... and kids...

20. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

So what? got bigger fish to fry.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly, Krip! Who cares? Every one of us has limitations, and every one of us is different. Nobody can do it all. We make our choices, and we all do the best we can.

It's all in the spirit or intention behind the words, and you can usually tell the difference. "Bragging" may only be sharing their joy of accomplishment. Be happy for them. "Criticism" may only be a helpful offer of advice. Be thankful for it. But if someone truly wants to make a feeble attempt to elevate themselves by bragging or being critical of others, they've got a personal problems. If they wanna be big-headed and brag...fine. But if they wanna stick their nose too far up my ass, I tell 'em "none of your business"...in so many words.

Others can be an inspiration, but don't judge yourself in relation to others. And don't buy into their judgments of you. Simply try to be better than you were yesterday, and you'll be much happier.

22. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Exactly ! And to come to an "Agreed Value", for insurance.

Yup, I have all of my reciepts, but I have no idea on the hours spent.

23. fbama73

fbama73

It isn't anyone's damned business how much money I put into my car! Especially mine!

Seriously, though- you want to keep a build bucks down? Help other people out whenever you can- be it with parts you don't need, or just sweat. That goes for automotive stuff as well as everything else in life that you can help with. When you do stuff like that, it always comes back at you more than you gave. If anyone asks what I've got in the car, that's the answer I give.

24. screwball

screwball

I dont take my time into account as if I wasnt playing with the car I would be a couch potato watching T.V.. How many people get payed to watch T.V. or play golf or anything else you can do for a hobby. As for keeping the price low and telling people is so they might think the hobby is not out of reach and may buy an old car and join. I have been into old cars for 35 years and allot of people just see what hits the news and thats usually about the big $$$ cars and they think all old cars are big $$ . When I show up with my O/T or my old 1947 Ford and tell people how much I have in them there eyes open and tell me they didnt think old cars could be affordable.

25. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

I'd like to make a comment on the cost of building a hot rod. But,... I need a dropped axle and I've got to go break my grand daughter's piggy bank to see if she has enough in there for me to give "Speedy" Bill a call. I won't include the broken piggy bank in the total cost of the rod.

26. swissmike

swissmike

OMG! There are official accounting rules to this hobby and nobody told me about them? Where's the HAMB police when you need them...

27. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

its better when someone says they have $xxx,xxx.xx in a build and you look at it and ask "where?". scrap yard motor with a rattle can rebuild, body sculpted out of bondo, etc...

it goes both ways.

28. Mine cost so much money that I am afraid to say
    but if you Realy Realy want to know..............
    I will tell you!

100 cents mabey a Pennie more or less
    but because I is Old I don't remember anymore!
    what were we talking about

The Ins. Co. says my car is worth 6K so I belive them
    when I finnish the Interoir it will be worth More
    Just my 3.5 cents

29. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

If I drank beer every night for 5 years I would not consider what I've spent. I do however try to keep a total on what I spend on my hobby because I sell every one I build to finance the next. No matter what I end up in it that is the price.:(

30. von birch

von birch

i cant stand people who talk about how much they spend, either a lot or a little. that's like asking how much money someone makes, which i think is generally considered to be a bit douchey.

another thing i hate is people telling you what a great deal they got on parts. especially extremely rare, expensive parts...and that always seems to get worse around hershey time haha