Register now to get rid of these ads!

Five speed behind a 235 questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol55, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Before I get rid of the '84 S-10 truck, will I need?:

the clutch pedal?
    driveshaft or yoke?
    the clutch master?
    Flywheel, disc, pressure plate?
    anything else from the truck to make the conversion?

Would appreciate any links on making this conversion.

Thanks,
    Larry

2. JDiGio1960

JDiGio1960
    from Ventura,CA

im putting a five speed into my 302 sbf, and from what i believe it is a similar swap as far as what you need.. so what i think you would need would be the original flywheel off the 235, the clutch from the 5 speed, and a bellhousing that will adapt to the engine and tranny. it depends on if you have a cable pull or hydrallic clutch master.. from what ive read i believe the driveshaft is okay?

3. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a search here on the HAMB in the search window I entered "5 speed on old 235" and came back with 5 pages of posts on the subject. If you are thinking it, a good bet is some one on the HAMB has already done it or seen it.

4. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

The more of the original setup you keep and use the less you have to modify to adapt. The pedals originally are 8" or so up from the floor, you can weld the OEM vehicle pedal pads to the donor pedal set (weld the inside of pedals to each other so the distance between pedals is sufficient) then you can use the older style pedal pads. The clutch disc must match trans., so use donor replacement, pressure plate/throwout bearing may require some thought. Do your homework, there is not much not already covered on the HAMB.