Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs TIN INDIAN heads, any info on this Pontiac wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I got a few Poncho steering wheels the other day. This is one of the ones I pulled. I had never seen this style of wheel in these cars, just the horn ring wheels. I guess it's pretty much the PMD version of a 150 or Biscayne wheel in a Chevy. My question is this;

Is this a rare wheel that I should't chop up a re-shape to put in my car? Or are they pretty common and I just haven't seen one until now?

Can anybody shed light on the subject?

Attached Files:

2. sololobo

sololobo

Not sure what year etc., but very very cool. Big wheels are right for old cars! ~sololobo~

3. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Oh, I pulled it from a '55 By the way.

4. Are you sure it was a 55? The emblem in the center looks like a representation of a 56 hood ornament. I've never seen one before but it looks cool. It would look nice on the top of my Safari steering column.:D

EDIT: On looking at it more closely, it does resemble a non illuminated 55 hood ornament.

5. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

It may have been a '56 actually, the car is kinda stripped and I didn't really look at the rest of it. I'll take another look at it on Monday. I couldn't pass it up though, It's an awesome wheel. I may be willing to part with it... reluctantly.

6. How much is a,"reluctantly" these days?:D Send me a PM.

7. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Whats it worth to ya? I'm either gonna put it or a 63 Impala wheel in a 57 Chevy. Any opinions on that?

Attached Files:

8. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

it is not a 55 or 56 wheel i have both and the shape of the center arms is not near that on the deluxe or standard wheels

9. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Got any ideas what it could be? I took it off of a '55 that was obviously kustom back in the day due to the red and black tuck and roll interior. Style wise it can't be older the 54 or newer than '58, so what the hell is it? Anybody?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  10. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Im thinking maybe canadian? But a lot of those used chevy wheels so I'm at a loss.

11. twofosho

twofosho

I actually driven something with a wheel shaped like that, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. From the horn button I'd guess it's more likely from something else. Until the late 50s Pontiac wheels tended to feature the Indian head motif. When Pontiac started dropping the Indian head they went to a stylized arrow head logo that appeared about the time the Bonneville was introduced and changed little over the years. They even made the marker lights that shape around 68 or so.

12. teddyp

teddyp

could it be the low price from a canadian pont.?

13. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

There is a Pontiac head on the embem under the rocket if that helps any.

14. twofosho

twofosho

Looking at the closeup pic, it does look like an tiny Pontiac like Indian head is below the hood ornament looking thing in the center cap and GM liked to use stars for a motive in the 50s and 60s... it's got me baffled, I too wonder if it's Canadian.

15. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Well, I may have turned up another dead end. I've been looking at pictures of Canadian Ponchos, for like and hour and a half and haven't seen anything close. I guess most of those had Chevy steering wheels anyway.

16. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

WOW that thing is incredible. Sorry though, don't know anything about it expect what's already been stated....

17. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

It's pretty neat, thats all I know too. Think I might use it in my chevy.

18. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

19. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

That is possible, Not sure about the horn ring though.

20. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Finally figured out that it's a 58-59 standard wheel. I got another, now I'm going to cut one of them up to make a kustom wheel.

21. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

22. Uh, what? ...

FWIW, GM steering wheels are widely interchangable just the way they are, about the only difference is some cars have a larger steering shaft (Buick, Olds, Caddy big cars in the 50s) and the horn contact shifts around. When I had an '84 Buick beater that I had the seat way back in to be comfortable, I put a '63 Skylark wheel in it that was bigger and dished so I didn't have to hunch over to drive the car. I just had to trim the back a bit and change the horn contact.

23. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I put that last one on the wrong thread. My bad. I finally figured out that it's a '58-'59 Pontiac standard wheel. I got another one too. Im going to cut one up to make a kustom wheel. The other one is in my Chevy right now, even though it's HUGE I kinda dig it.

Attached Files: