Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!!!! Ignition/Door Locks, Trunk/Glovebox Lock, & Blank Keys???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t2dfyre, Jan 21, 2012.

1. t2dfyre

t2dfyre

I have a set of blank keys and an original ignition, door locks, trunk, and glove box lock. Can anyone recommend someone or company who can key them to the ignition/door locks and trunk/glove box lock? Its for a 56 Dodge D63. Thank you!!

2. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

Try a locksmith a good should be able to do it

3. BinderRod

BinderRod

Lock smith did the keys for my Rivi

4. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Any Good locksmith should be able to help you. I do have a old code book with punch setup and may be able to make you a key just from code.

A while back I bought a older car with no key for trunk. I found the proper code on glove box lock looked it up, punched out a key and it worked perfect!

I would have to look if I had the specific code for your car.

5. t2dfyre

t2dfyre

Thanks all I'll attempt a local locksmith. TimeWarp so what would you need from? What code and where do I find it? Thank you!

6. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Each lock will have a 1-3 digit code on lock. There are 2 possibles on yours for code type but will be a number from 1-500. From that code I could transfer it into a key without the lock or other key. Most people do not realize these code books exist. I did check and have a lot of codes back to 1932. a pretty trick deal. I watched my dad do this many many years ago and when he passed on I rec'd the locks,keys, codes, grinder, punch etc. so 40yrs later never had made a key myself but remembered enough from my dad doing it that I was able to figure it out.

Its not real clear if you have matching keys to the locks/cylinder?

If you do you can go almost anywhere to have a key made. If you do not have keys then the above method can be used or any competent lock smith can re-key it or keep existing tumblers to match code on lock and make you a set. Factory keys were punched not ground so to me its a lost art to do it the old fashioned way! People would chuckle if I posted pics of the old equipment used back then.

just look for any numbers on locks. the one to 3 digit # transfers into a 5 notch code. In other words your key should have 5 different depths/ notches.

If I had the cylinder code I could transfer that into a key code to give to any competent locksmith. Another trick needed is to get proper distance away on each notch. ALso part of the special code. From what I can gather on your car there were only 500 different combo's used.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012