Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 333 [Half Evil] a Mid Engine Roadster DragCar started finally.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Very cool, I love the outside the box thinking.

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I borrowed a Hilborn 4 port and a Enderle 3 rib Bug injector off of Don today to see what looks best...........I think the Enderle Bug catcher looks the best...I really want to see what a Crower 8 port will look like as well..The Enderle looks good from in front of the car, it being wider helps the balance and proportion...but I really need to start bending tubing, how high my helmet bars may dictate a taller injector..I have a few more things to do....then I will start bending......Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

wow, are you going to sit on the scoop?

ridiculous............

4. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Yes....I am going to sit on the scoop and go ridiculously fast.....he he he..........Littleman

5. saltracer

saltracer

Here's pictures of our Bonneville rear engine car. Just wanted to show the overall proportions. The wheelbase is 145 inches.

[​IMG]

6. Please - Please Dave after this one, and I can't wait to see the direction you take with it, Please finish DDS!! One of my all time favourite cars and would like to see you take it to the finish line. Seriously Dave, I enjoy all your posts, I think you have a real vision as to what you imagine and the skills second to none to pull it off. Let the sparks fly!

7. I like the Enderle as well. Are you going to be able to build your cage low enough and your seating position laid back enough so it looks right? What ideas do you have for a grill shell.? Maybe a cutdown 29 shell would work. Awesome project.

8. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have been working on this very slow, taking my time planning and making my bends...I will not order a bend from anyone to complete this car. Its been awhile since I used my bender, w/ a bad memory like mine..I need to re-discover the tricks I once learned and the quirks of my bender. Not to mention this is the first time I am using the hydraulic conversion on my bender.......So far so good. I am back up to speed.....no scrap...Not much to look @ yet, but it's taken me awhile to get to this point. I would not be able to bend this Moly tubing w/o the hydraulics...I struggled to bend the DOM manually, I just don't have the weight to throw around..ha ha........Keep in mind nothing is welded and is all loose and not all are cut to correct lengths just yet....The bottom rails are one piece per side and run the entire length of the car from front to back....I will post more when I have allot more done to look at..........Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

that's what the need for speed looks like,nice work

10. brandon

brandon

Those hot wheel designers nailed it ...lol. surfer scoop. We were thinking of using a r.e.d. chassis cut down with either t bucket front or torsion style.....will be following this one...

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love watching in on your builds because you're one of the few that are not afraid to take a hot rod where they would have back in the day all in the name of speed. Rear Engined, center steered, Steel body, blown monster. I think that it's important that people still build competition cars like they use to because it's a big part of the history of all this. Even if it's not nut and bolt correct the spirit is there. Viva La Littleman!

12. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

curbspeed, as it looks now...I will be able to get my seat position low enough....really only because I am only 5' 2'' tall.....If I need to make a slight injector spacer for that to clear the helmet bars ..I will.....I never had any plans for any type of front grill shell. The entire front end will be aluminum from the firewall forward, I envision it coming to some kind of point w a peek down the center. When the time comes I will find something like large blocks of styrofoam or ? and glue them together and shape them until I am happy then build a buck form to help shape the Aluminum. I am looking forward to doing this, it should be a neat project all in itself...........Littleman

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

A little more progress.....The lower rails have all their bends in them now..The last bends I did in the lower rails I did after I had two crossmembers tacted into place up front, made the rear bends kicking upward just after the mid mount plate to bring the lower rails closer to the axle housing. My wife came out in her pajama's..ha ha...to help hold the whole chassis verticle in the bender while making the bends. Just notched out the body this evening and w/ more help from my wife placed the body back up on the table. The next time I take pics...it may start looking like something.......Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Man I love following this build. Iconic.

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hey Dave ..... it's been a while since I told you that your crazy .... so ... your crazy :) .... and don't stop, being outside-the-box is the only place I like to be.

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

What page of the S.F.I. book does this car fall ???? Basically a rear engine dragster chassis, just super short???

Looks nasty man.....should be fun.....

17. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

This thing is Awesome! I look foward to more progress pictures.

18. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

My goal is to run this thing as hard as I can. I do not want to build a static noise maker...those have a place...just not in my garage...Knowing I cannot build this the way some of the originals were....So the rear Engine car design was the best fit...I have the SFI spec. for 7.50 for RED......I also bought the 7.50 spec for a front engine digger...That will be built next @ 115-120'', both will share the engine and trans combo..both should be scary fun.....

I don't think I should have much difficultly teching....the tech just needs to get past the fact that this car is not wrapped in the same belly button wrapper as most are.

I knew this build would not be everyones cup of tea.....It's just something I was unable to shake form my brain....So I must build it....Littleman

19. 296moon

296moon
    from england

This is comeing on great!, I have the same problem as you with ideas that wont go away, also this build has made junk the jag eng and put these in instead, it wont ever be quick but should be fun [​IMG]

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You'll be fine then......the FED will be bitchin' too....sharing engines is a good idea too.......
    And a 120" FED is money....:D

Looking forward to seeing this one done......knowing that you'll beat on it....;)

21. you know you can call me anytime, and I will come over and help in my pj's too!

22. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Another awsome build Dave. Watching with intrest.

Sometimes it sucks to be tall. Go 333!!!

23. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Quick chassis update, I have the shoulder hoop now tacked into place along w/ the upper front top tube and X to tie the front all together. It is very slow going, I need to attach the dropped axle soon, playing w/ a retro Kirkey short back aluminum seat that looks good in between the rails.....Littleman...Oh and thanks for all the personal emails that write I am going to die...love to read them..ha ha ha.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  24. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Just looked at your build very Cool, always good to see somebody doing something alittle bit outside the box, Tim Jones

25. Cshabang

Cshabang

Badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I dug you the instant I saw you on Hard Shine. You were one of the first guys that exposed me to traditional rods along with Jimmy when I was a young 'un in high school. This is much better than television!

Subscribed..

27. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

That is a visual I can't handle.

B:eek:B

28. Matt Jones

Matt Jones

I know this is a shit of a thing to say after you cut the rear quarters off the body, but have you considered narrowing the body through the middle so the rear quarters sit between the slicks?

I think it was Fred Carillo's yellow mid engine roadster that was narrowed a subtle amount for less drag, I guess it would be a bit less subtle on this thing...

29. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Matt,
    I have always wanted to cut the quarters off a Roadster or Coupe...I almost did it to DeathsDoorStep...but saved the treatment for the mid engine project that has been in my head for a while......I may end up widening the body from mid body to the cowl an inch or so.....I will know more once the front of the body takes shape.........Thanks, Dave

30. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Bob....we all know...that Don is so so hairy........he has no need to wear pajamas...ha ha ha...Dave