Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old Rusty . . . a Father/Son '51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrerHair, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Do you allready have the 1227730 computer? If not, there are several Chev Cavaliers at the local Pull-A-Part. It is the same computer, you will need the chip for the Camaro. I don't know if my son still has the Z28 tpi program. He used to do a lot of chips for the TPI. He did the one in my Cutlass that has a 383 w/ tpi.

The chip is an eraseable programmable chip, so 15 minutes in a uv light will erase it. We did have an eraser, but he and I have both moved a couple of times since we used it so I am not sure where it is. He also had the harness and software to program the chips too.

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got that right. Thanks.

Thanks.

(Edit)

No. Thanks for all your help Rod. I'm definitely inviting you down here soon to check out what I'm doing. Sure feels good to know someone who's been there, done that.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today's progress: Found the panel between the rear seat back and the trunk and used it as a template to cut out some 1/2" insulation sheathing and 1/4" plywood.
    [​IMG]

First, I sprayed rust encapsulator, let it dry, then glued shtg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edit: OT engine stuff

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks like you made nice progress.That plasticbag idea is good,too bad that i cant use it because i am going to scrap most of the bolts...
    Just wondering,why to put that ECM and fusebox in the trunk?
    Isnt it easier to hide them under the dash?:confused:
    Keep it up!

6. Good progress today!

Is that a pair of Klein HD213-9NE side cutters?

7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

(Edit) it'll be real crowded under the dash. Thanks Finn!

OK Rod, I had to Google what you asked. I believe the answer is yes. To me, they're just "lineman's pliers". They're so old, the writing on the side is unreadable.

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Make sure EVERY electrical/electronic componet has a good ground!! You are doing excellent!! I use plastic conduit fished thru frame.

9. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

10. fitzee

fitzee

cool your back at it!! Now no stopping for anything!! lol

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the heads-up. Why couldn't I just fish the wire through the hollow frame? Do I even need conduit?

Thanks, welcome aboard.

Gotta run fast to try and keep up with you Canadians!:D

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How's this: worked about 3 hours today and got 2 wires connected. (Edit)

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edit: note edit date below. I am removing all reference to my OT engine and tranny out of respect for Ryan's rules. Cool as this thread may be from a father/son perspective, the fact remains that it is one of many threads that took advantage of Ryan's flexibility while the HAMB was exploding in membership.

Now (Sept '13) that Ryan is making a concerted effoert to get the HAMB back on topic, I am trying to do my part. I just wish I could remove the OT quotes of some of my original OT posts.

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. pakrat

pakrat

That is freakin awesome!!! Good luck you guys

16. gsport

gsport

?? did that wiring harness come with new connectors?? or do you have to use your old ones?? it sure is looking good, i enjoy getting your updates, keep'm coming....
    ps.... who's the maker of the harness??

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks pakrat.

Edit: OT stuff

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Billy said...
    “Oh, I don’t know, sometime around the early to mid-Sixties the cars just got a lot plainer looking. I love the earlier more rounded, cooler looking cars of the ‘40s and early ‘50s.”

Yes!!! This just about brought a tear to my eye.

Billy, you're so cool, I can't tell ya. You're dad's ok too...lol. You've got a good eye for beauty...and the curvy cars are beautiful, aren't they?...Like a woman. :)

You liking the old cars proves that the hobby won't die anytime soon. (Older guys worry about that sometimes.)

And dad...Don't feel like you're going too slow or anything. You and Billy have made great progress!

I absolutely love this thread...the two of you working together. The best of luck to the "Old Rusty" team!

19. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

20. On the MAT connector a large pair of needle nose pliers with a 90 degree bend on the end works well.

Are you going to run the EGR valve? If you aren't, you still got to take the plenum off to blank the intake where the EGR bolts on. It is a pain to get to the lower bolts on the runners. They are Torx and you need a LONG extension to get across from side to side. I replaced the Torx with allen head bolts. I think they came with the Scoggins-Dickey lower intake or the SLP large intake runners.

21. pm5471

pm5471
    from WISCONSIN

Where did you get the inner rocker panels please?

thanks
    pete

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Ricky, appreciate it.

Fantastic Jaregg. You need to check out aw1950's build thread.

Edit: OT stuff

emsautomotive.com 216-541-4585

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. pm5471

pm5471
    from WISCONSIN

thanks for the reply. I really like your build as i need to do the same rust repairs to my 52 BelAir,50 sport coupe and 50 pontiac.

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 projects, Pete? Go, man, Go!

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here you go Rod: (Edit: OT stuff)

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edit: would like to leave this original post intact, in spite of the fact that I am talking about OT engine stuff. It speaks volumes about the whole traditional mindset, and about what the HAMB can teach you. Here it is:

ffr1222k (Rod) reminded me that this EFI thing is not HAMB friendly. I already knew that, but my enthusiasm for the build has gotten the better of me. Best just to leave the hood closed on this thread.

I have mixed feelings about this whole efi thing anyway. Let's face it, an L98 just does not move the Cool Meter. There are so many HAMB-friendly mills which we could have used that are dripping with cool, so, on this note, we missed the boat. With the benefit of hindsight, I would have gone old-school under the hood.

I made two (at least 2) mistakes:
    1) Got carried away with wanting 200+hp as easily as possible, with a low-maintenance, high-reliability factor, and concluded that efi was the only way to go;
    2) Had not spent enough time roaming the hallowed halls of the HAMB when the decision was made. Did not have the full appreciation for the benefits of keeping the mill old school. No need for a discussion about that here. You either get it or you don't, and now I get it.

So, pardon my interruption, but let me get this thing back on the frame, wired in, and then I'll resume the build posts. There are a ton of sites out there all about EFI, TPI, and all that modern jazz.:)

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need to throw cold water on a thread? Just call on me, boys and girls.

I just think this place deserves some self-policing regarding the preservation of the traditional intent. Sure there are lots of borderline O/T threads, but just because Ryan and his hard-working team give a lot of slack doesn't mean we shouldn't be mindful of the original vibe.

I was reluctant to start a build thread at all due to the fact that we're basically using all post-1978 technology. (Edit: well, I was trying to move the thread back on track)

Capiche?

29. Well, this thread has made 21 pages and has a 5 star rating. Someone is following your build....