Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey Everyone. It's Me.....

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by glowens970, Jan 21, 2012.

1. glowens970

glowens970

Hello fella's. My name is Gary. I am a 41yr old disabled mechanic. I had some other jobs but machanic'in is what I have always wanted to do since I was 7 years old when I got my first Hot Rod mag and talked my parents into getting me a subscription. I was blessed with a mechanically inclined mind so it came naturally. I hurt my back when I was 23 and eventually had to stop working alltogether when I was 30. By then of course my back is really jacked up. I hope to get it partially fixed soon though so I can at least work on my own vehicles sometimes. I just bought my 15yr old son a '97 GMC Vandura work van that he wants to fix up like those 70's vans with shag carpeting on the floor, walls and ceiling. I love those old vans and grew up reading Hot Rod in the late 70's and early 80's when they had alot of vans and Street Freaks stuff. How about those sky-high street machines with the long shackles and tires sticking way out of the fender wells. :)

I really like vintage 40's to early 60's hot rods and 60's and 70's street machines. I like vintage iron. NO BILLET! and NO 305,350,383 or 400 CHEVY SB engines. Unless of course you can't afford anything else and all you have is a 350 to put in your rod. No tweed interior, digital gauges, new FI engines or giant wheels (16" max wheels).

GASSERS RULE! So does Cool engines in your hot rod (like Long Ram 383 or 413's, Hemi's, FE Fords, Nailheads, 429 Fords & Flat Heads.You know what I mean?). Use vintage parts where posible. PATINA RULES! NO COOKIE CUTTER HOT RODS. NO CHROME STEERING COLUMNS. It shouldn't cost $100k to build a hot rod. Besides, old parts have soul. How many had a hand in building those old parts. They weren't built by robots but by craftsmen. I like shiny hot rods too sometimes but old rods put together with old parts found, bought at swap-meets, traded or found at the junkyard. Oh, I love self-serve junkyards too. They are getting harder and harder to find.

Well, those are some of the things I like and dislike.
    Thanks guys.
    Gary

2. khead47

khead47

Welcome from Mi.

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Welcome from Minnesota !

4. 31' A Bone

31' A Bone
    from So Cal

Great Intro, Welcome aboard.

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Welcome from Vermont.

6. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Welcome from Texas!

7. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

welcome from Ohio...

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

welcome from blackwater mo

9. Welcome from Minnesota

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy. Great point about the old parts.

11. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

welcome from the netherlands,o by the way i,m one off those fuckers that put one bad 383 in his old ford if you don,t like it well i gues thats your problem cheers