Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Chevy truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skippycraig, Dec 26, 2011.

1. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Tonight I made my steering column, I had an old shaft from a 54 chevy car that had both a keyway and splines so I can use the stock 36 wheel or a later chevy wheel. I found a set of new bearings for a Pepsi handtruck that were 3/4 id and fit perfectly inside 1 1/2 pipe I picked up at the scrapyard on the way home for 6 bucks. Now all I have to do is carefully grind two flat spots on the steering box end of the shaft to take DD joint.

Attached Files:

2. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

36 chevrolet trucks are awesome! I built one and loved it. I started with nothing but a cab. shortened a 50's truck bed. Matt Whitlock from Wrecked Metals built the frame and did the chop. I wished that I wouldn't have sold it but it went to a very good home in California. I was happy to see it go to someone who took good care of it. Here's some pics of mine. Keep going on yours. I'm excited to see how it turns out. I can't seem to get more images to upload :(

Attached Files:

3. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

That little pickup looks like a blast, you must of had to squint to see out that little slit for a windshield.

4. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

That chop was awesome. I miss it so much I'm selling my current project to buy another "choppable" car. Once you've had one, you just can't go back. My young said would say that it looked like it was "growling" at him.

Attached Files:

5. I love these trucks.
    looking nice !
    I'll be watching this build.

6. jfrolka

jfrolka

hahahaha thats woolly's!! he just put a blower on it!

7. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Is that a 36 cabover? Thats the coolest thing ive ever seen!

8. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

9. CORPO

CORPO

Awesome truck man, I love the 36 cabs, been working on mine for 3 years... I have never posted here (I have lurked here for a long time) but I thought I could give you a tip that I wish someone had told me when I started on my 36.. you can find the metal door columns and dash structure from a 37 cab to replace the wood in yours, and from what I was told its a straight bolt in. I see them sometimes on ebay for like 100 bucks, would have saved me a lot of headache. I built some pretty stout door columns and then had problems fitting my dash back in (ended up having to add to the depth to the dash to bump it out around the new door columns) I will also have to modify all my trim to fit back on...

good luck on your build I will be watching

as a side note: Bikertrashes truck was a 37, you can tell from the body line on the cowl... the 36 body line continues all the way across the cowl where the 37 cabs bodyline stops short due to how the fenders crossed the cowl.. I didnt realize this and bought some patches before knowing it

10. It's a '39 GMC COE.
    On backburner at the moment due to customer work.
    But I may push it back in tomorrow night.
    Didn't mean to jack your thread.

I love how your truck is shaping up !

11. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

That's great advice about the a pilars and dash, the cab is next after I finish the frame. Any advice helps thanks, Craig

12. I like the start you have, should turn ot great. I had a full fendered '36 when I was in high school. It was more of a drag or gasser style truck, 302cid chevy stroker with a tunel ram, th400, 12bolt rear, tube rear bumper. It was orange with black flames. What a fun time we had.

13. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Craig, your lowcab is looking good. I have a '36 Carryall Suburban. Been working on it for a few years. Yep, the doors can be tricky. I sandwiched the wood with metal backing so the bolts are secured into a metal backing with nuts tacked on. Running a 8in. w/87 vette tuneport & 700r4, Fatman front susp and posies springs in back.
    Truck is at Bad Donkee in Pa. and Junior (fatabone) is doing a great job, hope to have it on the street this spring. there;s a guy who goes to L'ville nsra nats who specializes in 33-36 Chevy stuff and Bowtie Reproductions in Ohio makes very nice replacement parts/fenders. PM me and I'll find the info on these two companys if you need it. Good Luck, Jalopyrama Mike
    P.S. I have a hard time posting pics but I can email some to you OR maybe fatabone can post some for me.

14. mink

mink
    from CT

Thats funny i got the same exact seat from the boneyard for the same price; but it felt weird in my 32 chevy so i got a free 70's bench seat and shortened it to 47 inches.

15. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

My tailgate showed up last night, 1939 chevy tailgates had a really cool script and fit stock 36 box. I was going to make one out of my original 36 tailgate and graft in the script from a later gate but everyone I found looked like a taco. It can use some cleanup around the welds but was only about 50 bucks more than a good original that needed lots of work if you can even find one.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      20.2 KB
      Views:
  16. ...nice project, looks really good slammed with the fenders. Those lowcabs are a nice lookin truck.

17. Love the truck and cannot wait to see where it goes.-Crusty

18. Stovebolter2

Stovebolter2

I really dig the 36 low cabs. How the heck did you get it that low...Lols. My 36 barely has 1/2" of clearance between tire and bottom of front fender. Going to enjoy watching your build!

David

19. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Today I finished the trans crossmember, all parts and pieces from welderseries. The center section drops out and the tabs bolt thru the frame rail.

Attached Files:

20. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

You're right the space up inside the fenders does limit how low I can go. Ended up running a 15x5 54 chev car wheel and 165r15 tire on the front and still only 3/4 inch before the tire scrubs little. The picture is with 54 wheels and L78 bias, just too big but looked cool.

Attached Files:

• 322.jpg
      322.jpg
      File size:
      491.4 KB
      Views:
  21. Stovebolter2

Stovebolter2

Well keep chugging along! If your like me and stop for a breather, one year will turn into two, then someone will talk you into a full resto of 65 Camino, then remodel kitchen please, and before you know it four years three years have passed. Worst part, I'm just a little ADD, so now darn if I haven't changed the entire direction I want to go. Rattssss!! Looks great!

David

22. It's going to be a great looking truck! I'll be keeping track of your progress. I like the looks of the mid 30's Chevy trucks and cars. Good luck with the project. Tom

23. pukejohnson

pukejohnson
    from BREMERTON

Nice gate cuzin.

24. Skippy, your truck looks real good. i have had mine since 1979 and its on its second rebuild. I have replaced the wood twice now and if i had to do it over again I would have welded steel in its place. Hopefully by spring I will have mine back on the road. Mitch.

25. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward I guess. Getting ready to finish all the welds, notches, sandblast, and paint the frame. Can't wait to start bolting everything on for the last time. I found a generator just to be traditional, don't know If I should mount it high or low on the motor.

Attached Files:

26. Mount it high, you'll be wanting to show that off ! :D

27. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Notches are almost done. Look what came in the mail today, guess I'm one of you guys now.

Attached Files:

• 054.jpg
      054.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
  28. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Welding, grinding, wire brush, and finally paint tonight. Ready to start bolting frame together for the last time hopefully.

Attached Files:

29. Damn! You aren't messing around are you? Cold kickin' it!