Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 250 dual carb fuel lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ErikDaViking, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

No work over the last few days thanks to heavy snow and ice, so I was able to get some stuff done on the truck. Its got an inline 250 6 with dual Carter Webers on an Offenhauser manifold. Theres a link to the build thread in my signature....

Yesterday I finished running the fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carbs. Initially I used 1/4" copper tube, but after some thought and some advice from the guys on this board, I pulled it off and started over with 5/16" copper, I'm using compression fittings to join it all up.

Here's the supplies I started with, about $25 worth of tube and fittings from the hardware store downtown.

<p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    Using a lot of patience and thinking things through ahead of time as much as possible, I wound up with a pretty good looking fuel system that should work like a champ. I am not 100% happy with the fuel filter location, but I wanted a glass filter housing so I could see if fuel was flowing (and because I think they look cool) and I wanted it after the pump, so this seemed like the best location.
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    Real close to starting her up now. Just gotta fill with fluids, install the alternator (gonna take a little bracket fabrication thanks to the cast iron headers), and fabricate an exhaust. Sounds like a lot, but compared to the list a year ago, its a cake walk.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sorry but that looks too much like bathroom sink plumbing rather than a fuel system. I know a lot of guys think copper tubing looks cool but to me it says that the guy was too lazy to do it right with flared steel tubing.

3. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

To each his own, I guess.

4. onedge

onedge

yep. nice looking orange part though. good luck.

5. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

I think it is a fine, inexpensive option, and looks good when done right. I put the copper fuel line on as a "temporary" fuel line just to get the thing started, I spent about $12 at Ace Hardware for the materials, took about 15 min. to fab up and worked like a champ! I was going to swap it out for the stainless fuel line I had ordered (pre-bent cost over $40 after shipping) but the wife says she likes the look of the copper. I asked a few others and they like it too, it goes with the look of the car.

Attached Files:

6. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Nice. I like the polished brass radiator too.

7. tedster

tedster

Man, thats cold. You burst his bubble. At least you said you were sorry. I was under the impression you needed to have a coil or something to allow it to flex to keep it from cracking. Is that not the case?

8. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

I bent mine pretty easy by hand, just have to go slow. I have a tubing bender but it was not necessary. Some people have told me to pack it with sand and then bend it, but that seemed like a bit of overkill, not to mention I didn't want to take a chance of introducing sand into my fuel supply.

9. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Thats all right,let 48 Chev get his kicks...

As for the cracking, I used a rubber line between the fuel line on the frame and the fuel pump to allow for the engine movement, all the copper is between hard points on the engine that can't move in relation to each other, and its well supported. I'll still keep a close eye on it to make sure it holds up over time.

10. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

Thanks! It was difficult to find a radiator shop around here, much less a someone who is willing to work on this type of radiator (a V-sail?). Almost everyone I talked to just wanted to order a new one for me...it just had a tiny leak in it and I was almost ready to just throw back it in car and put some stop leak in it when I found this old dilapidated muffler/radiator shop with this older gentleman who said "I hadn't seen one of those in years!", said he cut his teeth on that type of radiator and asked me if he could repair it! When I came to pick it up the older fella had a grin from ear to ear, and the top was as you see it!

11. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Thats a cool story. I know what you mean about the radiator shop. Its tough to even find a metal replacement, my daily driver '70 Ford needed a radiator and I could only find plastic and fiberglass ones.

12. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

I figure that is what the average Joe would have used back in the Golden Age. If it was good enough for him...

13. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

There really are not many craftsmen out there any more...just parts changers.

14. Hotrodrobert

Hotrodrobert

If that is a GLASS filter, that is a fire hazard. I have seen some cars burn because the glass filter got hot then splashed with water. The glass burst and shot fuel everywhere!!!!!!!!!

15. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

Oh by the way, where did you find that fuel filter? I like the way it is connected with the fittings. The only filter I have been able to find around here needs rubber hoses, I'd much rather have it connected like yours!

16. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Its off the shelf at the AutoZone, its only mediocre quality but I think it will work. It came with plastic fittings you were supposed to screw in and attach a hose too, but it took 1/8" NPT ok. I originally got a Mr. Gasket one at NAPA, it was crappy and I didn't use it. I'm keeping an eye out, if I find a nicer one I'll probably replace this one later.

I do like the way it looks though!

17. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Just double checked, its a "Spectre" brand, I guess its not teh house brand after all. If yo google "Spectre fuel filter" it will come up.

18. 4doorsRfun2

4doorsRfun2

Thanks for the info!

19. XXL__

XXL__

I have a similar filter (probably a Spectre, but it is metal instead of glass) in the same location that feeds my custom 3-carb setup. I don't like the filter because 1) it looks like it came from the "shiny crap" aisle at AutoZone, and 2) it visually clutters up the space (I have hard lines running from water pump to intake manifold that also run between water neck and valve cover). I bought an AC glass bowl filter to put in the system but it is a bit too tall to put where I want it. So, for now... shiny crap will do.

If we're voting on the copper, it gets a nay from me, but as a couple have said, to each his own. It's your car, so you don't have an obligation to my tastes.

Edit: yep, mine is Spectre as well...

[​IMG]

20. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

I was going to go with the glass bowl type filter too, I really like the way they look, but same as you, just couldn't find a place in the line where it would have fit.

I'm the same way with the clutter. I wish all you needed to attach to the engine was the spark plug wires! Still, any of our cars are 1000 times better than a new rig, most of the new stuff you can't even see the block. Sure, it works better, but wheres the beauty and art? ;)

21. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

looks good too me!! i have the same engine, same intake, same carbs, thought that was my engine at first... all put together!!

22. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Cool. Theres a few little quirks getting everything back together with the new manifolds, let me know if you have problems or questions when you do yours. The alternator doesn't quite fit with the new exhaust, I'm gonna have to make a new bracket. Also wound up running a throttle cable instead of solid linkage.